Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How can you tell?  (Read 28254 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
How can you tell?
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:18:27 am »
When we are talking about HIV-related problems versus those associated with aging?

I know the lumps of fat that are making it tough to turn my head and now touch the back of my ears are part and parcel of lipohypertrophy. I know the belly I have grown also is a part of this.

But is the pain in the abdomen a part of it too? It usually only happens when I eat a largish meal and always appears in the same spot. Interstingly, it is the same spot - or very near it - where I was stabbed all those years ago during my bashing incident. Could this be related or could the development of visceral fat in my abdomen be starting to push my internal organs around?

Is it normal for someone who is just 49 (for a few more months) to have joints that ache so badly that it inhibits his movement until he "gets going." Is this just old age?

I guess this is bothering me right now because these symptoms seem to be accelerating during the past few months - especially the lipo. I may have to let my hair grow out to try to hide the lumps.

SIGH,

Mark
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:20:40 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: How can you tell?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:25:11 am »

But is the pain in the abdomen a part of it too? It usually only happens when I eat a largish meal and always appears in the same spot. Interstingly, it is the same spot - or very near it - where I was stabbed all those years ago during my bashing incident. Could this be related or could the development of visceral fat in my abdomen be starting to push my internal organs around?

Hi Mark,

I'm wondering if you maybe have some internal scarring/adhesions from your stab wound that is only causing you trouble now because of the increasing visceral fat caused by the lipo?

As for the joint pain, I have an increasing amount of that, especially in my hip joints. My doc had a hip x-ray done yesterday, to be followed by a bone-density scan and/or an MRI. He's thinking it's hiv related because I'm 44. It's been going on for a while now, but we hoped it was because of first the hep C, then the adverse reaction I had to the hbv vaccine. Instead of getting better, it's getting worse, hence the hiv suspicion.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:44:55 am »
When we are talking about HIV-related problems versus those associated with aging?

I know the lumps of fat that are making it tough to turn my head and now touch the back of my ears are part and parcel of lipohypertrophy. I know the belly I have grown also is a part of this.

But is the pain in the abdomen a part of it too? It usually only happens when I eat a largish meal and always appears in the same spot.

Is it normal for someone who is just 49 (for a few more months) to have joints that ache so badly that it inhibits his movement until he "gets going." Is this just old age?

I guess this is bothering me right now because these symptoms seem to begun accelerating during the past few months - especially the lipo. I may have to let my hair grow out to try to hide the lumps.

SIGH,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Well, I am 55. I will be 56 in December. I am carrying the gut... So I understand the gut issues. Also have the issue with that strand of ..whatever just above the penis. Feels like a bike inner tube. Everything I have tried has not settled that issue. I am not having to date any problem  in the neck area.

But probably starting about a month and a half ago, I have been getting these slight aches or pains in the very lowest part of the gut. Right down in the lower groin are. Almost reminds me back in 2002, when I was having the problem with the hernia. I was explaining it that way to the doctor on my last visit.

And it almost always happens after I eat. May last an hour or two, and then just goes away.
So , once again, I have been trying to watch my diet, to see if that can produce any results.

I also seem to notice it more if I eat larger meals, so I am trying to cut down on the portion size,( I am a big eater) and just try eat more frequently, but smaller meals, during the day.

My next blood work, is The 19th of April, so I have to got to bring these issues, up with the doctor again, and see what he says. But the results of my last blood test on Jan 11th, showed everything was well within limits. so, go figure....

As far as the joints aching, for me it's mostly just the knees. It doesn't cause me that much problem, and it's nothing that I have to take any pain meds for. Then of course, I am also dealing with a little bit of arthritis in my hands. Just about on all the knuckles.

Wish I could tell you something...

Ray ( A sigh here too )
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:54:08 am »

As for the joint pain, I have an increasing amount of that, especially in my hip joints. My doc had a hip x-ray done yesterday, to be followed by a bone-density scan and/or an MRI. He's thinking it's hiv related because I'm 44. It's been going on for a while now, but we hoped it was because of first the hep C, then the adverse reaction I had to the hbv vaccine. Instead of getting better, it's getting worse, hence the hiv suspicion.

Hi,

I am 47, have always had some physical activity and am in good shape. I started meds over 2 1/2 half years ago. For the past year I've had a growing pain, first in both hips, that now has evolved to only my left one. I first attributed this to having taken up running again. So I stopped for a few months, time enough for a tendinitis to heal. To no avail.

Talked to my physiotherapist who also is my massage teacher and she said it could be the meds too; she's seen it happen in people with completely different pathologies who were taking meds over long periods of time. Secondly, as can happen with elbow tendinitis that are triggered by infections in the mouth, this could be triggered by hiv infection, despite there being no precise location for it.

I am undergoing treatment right now, in the form of deep tissue massage and they seem to partly alleviate the problem. I want to,as much as possible, avoid, or delay an injection of corticoïds as we know those are like an h-bomb to the immune system.

Hope this helps

Pat

edited because a frenchism escaped my radar
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:56:08 am by frenchpat »
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline aztecan

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:04:27 am »
Hey Ann,

I'm wondering if you maybe have some internal scarring/adhesions from your stab wound that is only causing you trouble now because of the increasing visceral fat caused by the lipo?

I was wondering whether the old wound might have something to do with it. I have an appointment with the doc May 2 and we are going to talk about it.

I tried to get in to see him earlier, but he's booked solid.

Also have the issue with that strand of ..whatever just above the penis. Feels like a bike inner tube. Everything I have tried has not settled that issue. I am not having to date any problem  in the neck area.

Yep, Ray, I have that too. I wonder if its naturally occurring or something HIV related. I noticed the neck thing when I began to feel the lumps touch the back of my ears when I turned my head. It was rather unsettling.

Onward and upward, as the saying goes.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline aztecan

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:09:32 am »
Hey Pat,

I get the aches in the back, hips, knees and hands for the most part. I have a suspicion it is something arthritic-related because when I put my hands (or other body parts) in warm/hot water, the pain goes away almost instantly.

If I can find a practitioner, I would like to try the deep-tissue massage to see if it might help.

Keep me posted on how it goes.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:14:19 am »
Hi Mark

I understand your concerns.   We really are on 'uncharted territory' with HIV and aging, aren't we?   I feel like many of my aches and pains (joints) are from being 50, and unrelated to HIV.   The gut issues, a different story...I also experience a lot of gut pain, especially after eating.   I think the belly fat has shoved my organs and intestines around or something.   I am scheduled for a G.I. consult, but they can't see me until June!  My new I.D. doctor has prescribed Pancrease MT 10 for me, and I have been taking it for a couple of weeks now; to be honest, I can't tell a whole lot of improvement with my G.I. issues (bloating, pain, discomfort, horrible gas, etc).

Hope you get some answers on your next doctor's visit.

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:19:09 am »
Mark and Ray,

Very familiar with lipo, gut pain, and joint pain.  I used to have arthritic pain (age 36 through 41) in one hip and have seen it on an x-ray.  When I moved to New Mexico, that pain left for good and I haven't had any arthritic pain since(dry climate).  However, the meds have caused me a huge amount of joint pain from time to time, and the gut pain is almost excruciating at times.  

Please remember guys that HIV is alive and well in our intestines and is eating away at the cells that keep our intestinal walls intact.  I have absolutely no proof of my assumptions, but logic drives me to believe that most of us suffer from gut pain somewhere along the way with a long term profile.  It just seems to me that there couldn't possibly be at least some permanent damage from this, and I wonder if maybe someone shouldn't start a study on these very ugly gut problems.  I am just over it and it really is damaging my quality of life at this point.  I hate making plans and then end up in the recliner just because I don't want to deal with being so much in pain and have to face people.  I have also found that if I eat about 8 oz of yogurt daily without fail, the gut pain is somewhat reduced, and it certainly helps with digestion and diarreha.

I find a load of relief from the green smoke, and sometime hit that with my first cup of java in the morning, but never close to when I will be riding my bike.  Need the balance to deal with feet that cannot feel the ground, or the footrests.

I also try to eat no less than four light meals a day and usually five, and I find that really helps with some of the pain.  Other than that guys, it is true that your food intake will reduce with age and now I eat about half of what I did only five years ago.

Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:28:46 am »
Mark,

for arthritic pains, try devil's claw, also know as Harpagophytum procumbens, an age old remedy. Additionally, joints could do with increased intake of silica which can be found in bamboo shoots and Urtica dioica.

That's for the phyto based stuff. Maybe worth a try.

About the massage, and if part of the problem is akin to chronic tendinitis, the reasoning is that massage will stimulate the manufacturing of collagen by the body and help circulation in the area (tendons are not that well  irrigated), all processes that help heal the area.

You mentioned you have lipo and I was also told that with lipo we can be more prone to bursitis, inflammation of the bursa, little cushions that act as pulleys/gliding areas for our tendons. I resolved a massive one on my left elbow using a plant tincture. The first doc I went to see wanted to give me antibiotics (inflamed bursa can turn to infected bursa...).

Hope this helps,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:39:40 am »
most of us suffer from gut pain somewhere along the way with a long term profile.  It just seems to me that there couldn't possibly be at least some permanent damage from this, and I wonder if maybe someone shouldn't start a study on these very ugly gut problems.  I am just over it and it really is damaging my quality of life at this point.  I hate making plans and then end up in the recliner just because I don't want to deal with being so much in pain and have to face people.  

Tim, I feel you on this one.   It is really affecting my quality of life as well.  I do not eat anything in the morning (not good, I know) but my stomach feels better with nothing in it.   I normally eat lunch at noon, and am o.k. for awhile....then by 3 to 4 o'clock in the afternoon, the bloating and discomfort has begun.   I basically feel like my intestines are just "worn out", you know?   They hurt and they're sore.   I have alternated between diarrhea and constipation for quite some time now, and probably use fleet enemas too often.   

All my G.I. issues certainly affect my quality of life, and not in a good way.   Sex life?  When you are bloated and uncomfortable and gassy?
Not cute.   I find myself spending more time in my recliner, and less time around people.   The Pancrease has helped some, but I honestly can't see that much improvement.   I wish there was an easy answer, but I'm afraid there isn't going to be.   It is time for a colonoscopy, and I am going to request an endoscopy also.

Hugs,
Alan

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:53:50 am »
Alan,

Try yogurt and do it religiously.  It can't hurt.  The reason this works is that the drugs and the HIV seem to keep the bugs in our guts from doing a good job 'cause they kill them, and the yogurt replaces them and it is cheap.  Trust me, it really helps with the pain and the gass and the shits.

Love,
Lynn Lavne

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:10:43 pm »
I'm 42, but I started falling apart at 35, so frankly I'm still just assuming 95% of everything is HIV related.  It makes me feel better. 

ps:  Pancrecarb still works better, IMO, than anything else for the gas and bloating.  Is it not on your ADAP formulary?  It is here.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 12:50:40 pm »
I will be 55 next month and you can add me to the gut club. I have no excess fat anywhere else so I chalk it up to the meds. Bad knees hip and shoulder pain are on a daily to deal with basis. No insurance, so until I am 65 it is pretty much let nature take it's course. 50 was the start of me asking myself is this pain aids or age or both?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 01:22:36 pm »
Yes, I should have added I'm in the gut club and have been for a couple of years, at least where it has been much, much more apparent.  It's seems to have gotten worse since I went on Truvada, but maybe that is my imagination.

Of course, that's another LTS problem.  Is it med specific or just a layered cumulative effect.  Anyway, if it's age let's rethink that because I'm too young to chalk it up to that, especially if it started in my late 30's.  And of course, due to my chicken lipo legs and arms I look like a malnourished Darfur refugee, which of course greatly helps me in picking up men at the local bath house.

edit:  actually it began before the Truvada, so I should look more to general PI's I think. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:55:52 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline whizzer

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 08:55:12 pm »
I'm not sure one can really tell for sure what are side effects of aging versus what is from HIV versus what are side effects of the meds.  Perhaps there is a mix of all three, in some cases.

I have had gut pain issues after eating as well.  Always in the same spot, the upper right quadrant of the abdomen, just below the rib cage.  It has gotten worse over the last year.  However, it has been present to some extent since I turned 45 many years ago, and long before I became positive.  The changes I have experienced with my poop are directly related to starting meds, but I can't say that the pain is.

As for achy joints, that started before my infection as well.  It is a lot worse now that I have been on meds for a couple of years, but, then, I'm a couple of years older as well.

Oh, when I ask the doctor about these things, he says "who knows?"  I suppose the answers still lie somewhere in the future.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 09:08:44 pm »
I have to eat. It just feels good. Without it the meds tear my stomach up. Yeah, the food leads to gas,bloating, and running to the toilet all day but I prefer that to the sensation that my insides are in a meat grinder.
Emtriva made me sicker and screwed up my stomach as much as any drug ever, rivaled liquid norvir and crix, and viread made me nauseated also, but truvada,which is a combo of both, doesnt seem to bother me as much. Very strange.
I constantly change my diet and the first few days things seem to get better but everything usually goes to shit(literally) after a week or so. I am always doing the low carb diet to fight the lipo fat but after a month or so I am so sick I have to go back eating carbs.
imodium and zantac all day everyday.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 01:59:15 am »
Hi All, I’m only 9 years into my infection, and I’m not on HAART, but I also have IBS so I do take 6-7 pills daily for that.  But what I really want to know is where is your abdominal pain? Whizzer says his is in the upper right quadrant.  This is a big indicator of gall stones, especially if the onset is after eating.  I work in medical records, so I see accounts of this on a daily basis; however I am not a clinical person, so this is just my observations.  I did watch an ultrasound of a gall bladder in someone with such symptoms once, and when they had the patient roll on their side the stones seemed to roll off a little shelf like marbles.

I didn’t think I would post here, but I was compelled especially by the posts about pain after eating. Depending what I eat, I often have pain after as well, although mine’s way bloody South (for real.)

And I’m awed that so many participants in this forum are people that I have met in person.  You are all AWESOME!

Love,
Creighton

P.S. Tim’s suggestion of yogurt in your diet is a Good Thing. Green is good, too.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 07:03:12 pm »
I think this forum is perfect for "us"  I see that already there are many common symptoms...joint pain..gut issues..fat deposits..various types of pain after eating.....etc...I was probably infected in 1984....diagnosed  officially and started meds in Jan 1994...so a LTS as are most of you..also probably older than most of you...68 in June... stuff that I find particularly annoying are the things that cause such significant pain/injury that used to not even be a noticeable event... I slipped one foot when climbing the stairs and "bent my toe"  didn't break it  but it took two weeks for the pain/swelling to go away...I don't know how many times over the years I have done that and never even felt it after the incident.The other common issue is that a simple bump or scratch turns into a scar/scab that takes weeks to clear up, this is mostly due to having no fat layer under the skin...
The Arthritis seems to be a common issue as well...My Dr says there is a significant genetic element to this as well as the effect of the meds....when I have any kind of scan/xray the joints all show up as glowing white spots...no real cure ..just keep moving as much as you can stand and take an Aleve when pain is too much...I will probably be participating more here and in the Lipo thread

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 04:38:50 pm »
My problems with IBS or anything associated with the gut has been for years . . . ever since HAART has been the "standard" treatment.   In addition to this, I suppose for me, my surgery I had to repair a hernia also complicates matters.   I don't know whether the pain is the hernia repair giving me problems  - like the scarring tissue - or whether it's associated with digestion.    I've had my lower level examined and the hernia repair appears to be intact and just fine . . . however, the discomfort sometimes feels like I'm about to burst.....

My HIV doc suggests that it's primarily IBS and that he's given a list of things for me to 'try' including Psyllium.   Sometimes it's like a lot of waste that accumulating in my stomach and hasn't quite made the right 'turn' yet to get eliminated.  The meds have changed the way my body digests food, and therefore, even if I take Psyllium or a probiotic it doesn't guarantee anything . . . other than the fact that I've replaced some of my friendly bacteria.

As far as some of my pains . . . which are now in the shoulders - I guess I have to attribute some of it to my dog that insists on being a puller.  But then again, it would be easy to just say I'm the old dog that's getting older rather than passing the blame onto my old friend HIV.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 07:37:46 pm »
   Sometimes it's like a lot of waste that accumulating in my stomach and hasn't quite made the right 'turn' yet to get eliminated. 

Hello David.

Welcome !!  Thats kind of a good way of describing it !! I can go along with that.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 08:39:45 pm »
But then again, it would be easy to just say I'm the old dog that's getting older rather than passing the blame onto my old friend HIV.

Other than the issues with the gut, which are interminable, I agree with David.

Well, of course there is the PN thing.  That makes getting up in the morning the hardest thing I do all day.  I just can't walk.  And then there is the depression associated with the drugs.  That also makes getting up in the morning an even more strenuous chore.   

And then there are the lapses in memory which have become quite acute just in the last few years.  That's also a HIV thing, I suppose. 

What does that leave to old age?  Not much.  I guess I can blame the arthritic thumb and the fact I take my glasses off now to do the puzzles on old age. 

robert

Offline SASA39

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2007, 02:20:55 pm »
Marc ( and the others ) have you consider(ed) taking somethin like a
Glucosamina sulfate  & Condroitin sulfate capsule mix. with add of a Collagen capsules on the top to ease your joint pains ?
http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.esitalia.com/html/indexita/nodol.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3DNo%2BDol%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG                                           
                      Al
P.S.: Not to mention old good Aspirin ,Bruphen  or , Diclofenac-Duo (excellent , it does not burden your liver)
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline SASA39

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 08:20:25 am »
Or maybe for some of you it could be a Reiter`s Syndrome
Google it
                         Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline Christine

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 03:39:01 pm »
I have gut issues...many of them; gassy, pain, bloating, diarrhea. I started Pancrecarb about two weeks ago, and I think it is helping a little. Not as gassy, or bloated.

When I have to go somewhere, I take Imodium. It stops the diarrhea, but it feels like a plug in the dam. Everything just gets backed up and swollen, then of course, it all comes bursting out at a later point.

For the yogurt, probiotic users...have you ever tried Kefir? It has around 10-12 types of good bacteria, as opposed to yogurt which as 3-4 types. It tastes really good. Dairy is not my friend anymore, but some lactose intolerant people can tolerate yogurt or kefir, but I am not one of them. So, I take a pro-biotic supplement.

So far, no joint pain. I have been doing yoga for 10-11 years, and I think that has helped.

I have always felt that hiv ages the body faster than a non-hiv person. Along with the meds, it is so hard on the body.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline slet

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 04:29:44 pm »
Try the dry birch bark. Soak it overnight and drink a TS before and after each meal.
The scientific name is " calami rhizoma"

"Application: Restorative and preventive means at functional frustration of a gastrointestinal tract. At gastritis, gastroduodenitis, enterokolitis, a pancreatitis - reduces inflammatory processes, promotes acceleration of wounds healing, at biliary dyskinesia - restores a muscular layer tone of a gallbladder and outflow of bile in bowels; at a cholecystitis - reduces inflammatory processes of a gallbladder, raises resistance of an organism to infectious and oncological diseases.

It is all natural, tastes bitter, but has helped a lot of people.

Also used in oncology.

YT

Offline Jacques

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 01:00:18 am »
Slet, the dry birch bark powder comes from a tree(Birch , or betula alba) and the calami rhizoma (Acorus calamus) is an aquatic herbaceus plant . Both plants have medecinal properties but they are not the same.

After googling here in there, I finally found a health preparation used for gastrointestinal disorders using these two plants.That could be the product  you described.

http://www.birchworld.org/products/cid/4/id/15/

regards,
Jacques

Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 08:58:50 am »
Just make sure you do your research regarding herbal remedies and run it by your doctor. I know of several herbs I can't use with my meds...better safe than sorry.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 09:20:50 am »
Auntie Doxie is correct!

Many herbal remedies can inhibit uptake of PIs and also other meds, so all of you, please be very careful, as the herbs can bring on resistance and make your virus stronger. 

Love,
Lynn Lavne

Offline dixieman

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 11:50:55 am »
frenchpat... I grow stinging nettle (urtica diocia) in my childrens garden... lol my nephew will never pull on my herbs again... its great for anemia... I make a wonderful herb tea with it... also clalendula tea is great for the flu and or colds... no problems with my meds... certain herbs I do not use because of possible reactions... yerba mate, geen tea is a favorite beverage I keep in my fridge... but, sometimes my bones just ache so bad I'd pay someone to steam roll over me... lol I just get up a move... I asked my grandmother who lived to be 107... what she did to live so long... she said move even when you do not feel like it... just keep moving... tough woman she was...

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 09:13:19 pm »
Wow, I did not know that hiv really does a number on the tummy...Thanks for that tidbit of info Moffie...I am like Alan can't eat til late in the day. The only time I eat a great deal is when I have munchies otherwise I only eat once a day. And I know this is bad considering I am diabetic and should eat more. I get stomach pains as well but only when using the bathroom. pain comes from the bottom of my stomach. I don't want to be too detailed or there is times when just out the blue, I am pissing out of my ass, it is shear liquid.

I still haven't started meds yet but I have a gut. I think mine came from having 3 C-sections. I have even noticed joint pain in my right leg but usually when it is rainy. I also have been getting numbness in my feet and hands. I mentioned this to my ID doc. He said if it was persistent that it would be hiv related and considered mine to be more related to my diabetes.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline aztecan

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 09:39:14 pm »
Hey Akasha,

Yep, I know the feeling regarding the liquid hersheys. Before I discovered I was a celiac I really understood it.

Regarding the numbness in your hands and feet, that sounds a lot like neuropathy. It is also quite common among diabetics as well as hi-fvers.

Be careful with it. I know diabetics can have difficulties with their extremities and the numbness could allow you to injure yourself and not realize it.

HUGS,

Mark

Edited for typo
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:37:32 am by aztecan »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 08:07:53 am »
Wow, I did not know that hiv really does a number on the tummy...Thanks for that tidbit of info Moffie...I am like Alan can't eat til late in the day. The only time I eat a great deal is when I have munchies otherwise I only eat once a day. And I know this is bad considering I am diabetic and should eat more. I get stomach pains as well but only when using the bathroom. pain comes from the bottom of my stomach. I don't want to be too detailed or there is times when just out the blue, I am pissing out of my ass, it is shear liquid.

I still haven't started meds yet but I have a gut. I think mine came from having 3 C-sections. I have even noticed joint pain in my right leg but usually when it is rainy. I also have been getting numbness in my feet and hands. I mentioned this to my ID doc. He said if it was persistent that it would be hiv related and considered mine to be more related to my diabetes.

Queen, I'm curious...what does your Dr say about all of this?

Offline mudman8

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 12:24:23 pm »
yeah in my last 2 years Iv'e noticed a real shift in solid or liquid waste.  I don't have stomach pains  and feel normal other wise.  but some days without warning the bathroom has to be close by.
Life is analog

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 09:00:04 pm »
in regard to joint pains, if due to PI's you have now had to go on cholestrol statins, be aware that in some folks a side effect is bone and joint pains. there is a chemical blood test your dr can do to determine if that is what is causing your problem.
kellyspoppi

Offline mudman8

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2007, 12:25:09 pm »
for those of you needing a probiotic supplement I take one called Probiotic Advantage from a Dr David Williams that has concentrated L acidophilus and B longum it's in a little bead capsule and designed to get it past your stomach

website is drdavidwilliams.com  or call 1 800 888-1415

my dad gets his nutrition newsletter, hope this helps with some of your gut problems
Life is analog

Offline aztecan

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2007, 04:27:06 pm »
Hey Kellyspoppi,

Yep, I ran into that with Vytorin. It was pretty nasty. Actually, I have been feeling a lot like that lately, so I may have the doc check the CPKs again just to be safe. I am now taking Pravachol, which isn't supposed to interact with my Crixivan, but, knowing me, it probably is.

Thanks for the reminder.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007, 05:15:57 pm »
glad to help mark.

funny thing is, after trying all the others, i'm back to double the amount of lipitor as that is the only one that seems to be working not that i tested negative.
i'll keep you informed.

kellyspoppi 

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 05:18:36 pm »
correction.

that's "now" that i tested negative for the chemical that causes the pain in joints.

sorry for the misprint.

kellyspoppi

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2007, 11:27:07 am »
Anne - A few years ago I experienced terrible pain in my hips. I went through nine orthopedists and neurologists before one of them ordered a bone density scan and diagnosed the problem as osteopenia/osteoporosis and put me on bisphosphonates (Fosamax, etc) and calcium supplements. After a few months the pain went away completely.
Your name here  X_______________

Offline bear60

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2007, 02:11:53 pm »
Mark
I believe that this is a question ( How Can You tell if its HIV or Ageing) when family history has to be brought into the picture.
My partner had his first knee operation at the tender age of 16. Long before he became HIV positive.  In fact he and his brothers all have joint and knee problems....including pain of course.  So how DO you separate the two....?
I dont think you can. HIV simply becomes another part of your total body makeup.  I am not going to discuss meds because I am not qualified.  We all know that meds have side effects and that HIV positive people have more problems with neuropathy and bone density.  But would my partner be getting injections of artificial lubricant and would he be looking at knee replacement at the age of 50 if not for HIV?  I dont think so.
What do you think?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2007, 10:23:44 pm »
My consultant tells me that whatever you were genetically destined to have, HIV may make it earlier onset or more severe. Personally I've got horrific arthritis, ...possibly ten or twenty years before I would have done before immuno collapse. Its VERY hard to tell what is virus related or just what would have happened...your ID doc should be made aware of any family health issue so he/she can deal with things as they/if they occur and advise you. I really do understand, and empathise, its so hard to seperate '''normal''' stuff from the effects of the virus
Hope this helps..and there are organisations in UK dealing with these bone problems, sure they can supply links to US if you need them...PM me if you need addresses, arthrocare.org a good resource
xx
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:26:33 pm by tigger2376 »
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.