Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Using HIV to cure leukemia  (Read 6534 times)

Offline buginme2

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Using HIV to cure leukemia
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:00:44 pm »
Saw this on nightly news. Quite astounding!...I'm hoping the findings will hold in a bigger trial group.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:13:38 pm »
Amazing. I wonder if this will work in people who have both HIV and leukemia (I know one).

Offline monarc

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »
Does this mean we could use modified HIV to change the white blood cells so they're not as receptacle to other strains of HIV?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:45:59 pm by monarc »

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:46:21 pm »
Using a modified, harmless version of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, they inserted a series of genes into the white blood cells.  These were designed to make to cells target and kill the cancer cells.  After growing a large batch of the genetically engineered white blood cells, the doctors injected them back into the patients.
white blood cells became “serial killers” relentlessly tracking down and killing the cancer cells in the blood, bone marrow and lymph tissue.
the most common type of leukemia completely disappear in two of the patients and reduced it by 70 percent in the third. In each of the patients as much as five pounds of cancerous tissue completely melted away in a few weeks, and a year later it is still gone.

Amazing.

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:46:01 pm »
Pat Morrison (local NPR radio host in Los Angeles) held an interview with Michael Kalos one of the researchers in the study. He was asked whether it could be applied to persons with both HIV and cancer and he sated yes. He also said that they are currently enrolling HIV positive research subjects at the University.

He also states that the patient who's cancer returned had corticosteroids administered by  their doctor because of the drastic side effects of his immune system killing the cancer cells. This is exciting stuff and I hope this was not some fluke.

You can listen to the interview here:

http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morrison/2011/08/11/20254/scientist-explains-how-lab-genetically-modified-t-/

Offline Coolio_7

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:02 pm »
I don't thnk it's a fluke. I'm excited to see the results with the HIV positive subjects.

There are so many different approaches emerging to battling this virus! Perhaps a combination of these approaches will be sufficient to do the trick. It's has been hypothesized that one method alone may not be sufficient to completely eradicate or subdue HIV so that folks won't have to take antiviral medications.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.