Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:31:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 527
Total: 529

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CD4 Stagnant  (Read 6337 times)

Offline getbusyliving

CD4 Stagnant
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:36:58 pm »
I have been on Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir since 01/23/04.  CD4 started at 28, I think and VL 30,000.  CD4 is now at 190 and stalled.  VL remains undetectable and I have never been sick so all is well.  BUT, why the CD4 stall? and how can I change that?  Any Ideas?
I decided it was either time to get busy living or get busy dying.

120304 diagnosed cd4 26 vl 30,000.
012305 started meds - Reyataz, Norvir, Truvada
06xx05 simply undetectable
07xx06 cd4 202 vl 94
0507 cd4 198 vl undetectable
today - feeling strong

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: CD4 Stagnant
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:59:28 pm »
Count your blessing that you didn't suffer any of the nasty OIs you could have when your CD4 was at 28.

The meds are doing what they're supposed to. Your viral load is undetectable.

Remember your CD4s were very low when you started meds. The fact they have bounced back as far as they have is something to be very happy about.

They may increase as time passes, but it might take a while. All you can do is pretty general health stuff like eating properly, getting enough rest, moderate exercise, a good multivitamin, etc.

One of the most important things is to try to keep a positive attitude. That works wonders sometimes and, even if it doesn't increase your T cells, it will make you feel better anyway.

Hang in there.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:33:11 am »
HI GBL...

It's me, Robert.  How are you doing?  We haven't talked in a while, have we? 

I wish I knew what to say. You and I could be a case study.  I started the same regmine 12/03, one month earlier.  I had 18 t-cells.  But now I'm up over 500 t-cells.  It's strange how this works, isnt' it?  What about your percent?  How is that doing?

Our friend Newt has made it very clear that "The key test when on treatment is viral load. This tells you if treatment is working."

"When not on treatment, CD4 count is more important than viral load, because it tells you when to start/think about treatment."

I'm not sure that helps much.  I wish I had something more to add.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:37:04 pm »
Hey Robert,

I agree with Newt to a point, the viral load is the key test to see whether the meds are working or not. I do disagree, though, regarding the belief the CD4 is unnecessary after starting meds. Without the CD4, you wouldn't know if you need prophylaxes for OIs.

But, as we both said to GetBusyLiving, the meds are working.

One thing I didn't mention is it can be bad for the CD4s to jump back too fast and cause immune reconstitution syndrome. So, when you look at it that way, having CD4s take their time in recovering isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As I said earlier GBL, Hang in there and remember we are sending positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allanq

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:38:10 pm »
Hi getbusy,

I'm in the same boat as you. Been positive for over 20 years. CD4's were down in the low double digits until late 2003, when I finally was able to get on an effective regimen (Fuzeon, Sustiva, Tipranavir/Norvir). After about six months my viral load went undetectable, but my VL has been in the 150-200 range. It's never been higher than 220, with my CD4% around 12%. I've been feeling fine, with no OI's. From what I can tell,once you achieve undetectable VL, there's not much else that can be done to raise the CD4's

I'm currently on raltegravir (Isentress), Sustiva, and Prezista/Norvir.

Allan

Offline getbusyliving

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:04:07 pm »
Thanks to all of you for the info and advice and positive thoughts.  Robert, wow! you are right we haven't spoke in quite a while.  Glad to hear all is well. 

As far as positive attitude, I am very positive and my life is wonderful.  I really don't think about HIV at all except to take my meds and I have a relatively healthy lifestyle. 

So all is well, just wish cd4 would jumpa little, but I am a patient man. 

Thanks Again you are all appreciated. 
I decided it was either time to get busy living or get busy dying.

120304 diagnosed cd4 26 vl 30,000.
012305 started meds - Reyataz, Norvir, Truvada
06xx05 simply undetectable
07xx06 cd4 202 vl 94
0507 cd4 198 vl undetectable
today - feeling strong

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.