Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:11:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 139
Total: 139

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Not sleeping well with new meds  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Christine

Not sleeping well with new meds
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:57:30 am »
Hi Everyone,
Last week I started new meds-Rescriptor, Hivid, Emtriva, and Reyataz. I have not slept right since, even with Ambien. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like crap when I don't sleep. I called the Dr, and she wants me to try Benadryl first before trying a prescription. Less chance of interactions with the Benadryl.

Other than the not sleeping, I have not had any other side effects. Yea!

Christine..who is cranky, irritable, and has lovely bags under my eyes....
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Not sleeping well with new meds
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 12:20:50 pm »
This is not a common side effect of any of these 4 drugs, but it is modestly present for all NNRTIs, ie a some people experience this  on Viramune and Rescriptor, plus a very few people get it on Hivid (ddC).  It may just be an effect of the new meds hammering the virus. Why are you on this ancient drug anyway? It is the worst in terms of peripheral neuropathy etc.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Christine

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 12:51:33 pm »
Hi Matt,
Thanks for the info. I started the GS-9137 protocol a few weeks ago, but was randomized to the non-drug arm of the study. I had to start new meds as part of the protocol, and these are ones I have not been on in the past. I have resistance to a lot of others, so that is why they picked these.

I have not experienced neuropathy with any of the other meds, so I am hoping it won't happen with the hivid.

Thanks again,
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 01:57:15 pm »
I think all these drugs are different for every one as far as side effects. I cant remember but it was either viracept or razmatz that I had sleeping problems on(was doing emtriva with both,emtriva makes me very ill 24/7). Developed ringing inthe ears on razmataz. That isnt a listed side effect but I remember reading several here having that problem.

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 02:36:45 pm »
Is Hivid back in the repertoire? I haven't spoken anyone for years who was on hivid!

I remember having sleeping problems on Hivid, back in 1993, Christine!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 03:15:33 pm »
Dear Christine,

I have been taking Sustiva for several years.  Viread and Trizivir for 1 year.  I usually see the sun rise.  Doctor offered a sleeping tablet but since no company will hire me, I sleep during the day or whenever.

I use some homeopathic remedies which have some benefits.  I stuff a little cloth bag with herbs and put it in my pillow.  I made a new one the other day and I have been sleeping since. 

I use Damiana, Mugwort, Rosemary, Basil, Chamomile, Lavender, Poppy flowers, ground Cinnamon, a little Frankensense and some Myrrh.  If I had night sweats, I would probably turn into herbal tea.  Since most of the herbs are used for depression, stress, I put the results to the test by going to the Department of Motor Vehicles.  I left that office in a very good mood.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org 

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 09:53:46 pm »
Hey Christine

Sorry you are having trouble sleeping... I know about the bags under the eyes, I used to have them, then lipoatrophy changed them into hollows instead.....

I despise the fact that I am addicted to Ambien, but the reality is that I cannot function without sleep.....I cannot sleep without Ambien.....and so goes the vicious cycle.   If I did not have to work, I would force myself to come off them, even if it took two weeks....but I can't work if I don't sleep.   I know I can break it, I broke my addiction to fentanyl in 1999, after being on it for about 7 years.   I'm trying not to beat myself up about it though, I've got a lot bigger issues to do that with !  LOL

Have you tried Desyrel (Trazodone)? It helps some people.   I have had a variety of things prescribed during my 'sick' years when I had so much difficulty with sleeping, from Seconol to Phenobarbitol, you name it, I tried it......

Hope you get some relief soon, going without sleep is not a good thing.

Alan (who never believes it when things say "not addictive" )
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 10:54:53 pm »
How was your experience with seconal?

I have frequent sleep problems and have tried Ambien, Lunesta, Rozorom, over the counter stuff... either it doesn't work, leaves me with a hangover.   I've heard seconal is much better than all of them.  Works better and clears the blood faster.  The issue is you have to be careful not to take seconal on a continual basis because it is addictive.

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 11:01:46 pm »
It is addictive, MM.....but so is Ambien, or at least I think it is.   Ambien works well for me, but I need to look into that new form Ambien CR  because regular Ambien helps me fall asleep quickly, but then I wake up after about 4 or 5 hours and that's it for me.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Christine

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 10:05:54 am »
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I used 25mg of Benadryl last night, along with the ambien, and I only woke up once last night, but was able to get back to sleep. I feel okay today, still a little sleep deprived.

Alan- I am the same way as you. If I don't sleep, I just can't function. I've always been like that though, pre-hiv.

Christine

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 11:31:03 am »
Neither can I Christine.

Last night was one of the 'bad ones' (a non-Ambien night; I only get 18 each month, and I space them out to every other day).   I was watching the clock at 1 am...2 am....

Then, when my alarm went off this morning, I was sound asleep....I promptly turned it off and went back to sleep, and woke up at 9:05....I am supposed to be at work no later than 9:00.   I took the fastest shower in recorded history.   I am dragging today, BIG TIME.   This is definitely a 'two cup day' for coffee!

Alan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.