Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:48:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 293
Total: 296

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: And the point of it all is...?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
And the point of it all is...?
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:33:54 pm »
A long talk with my ex and we agreed it was the bloody Sustiva, yes when he started that drug that his anxiety got difficult and his personality changed, and he confessed to me for 2 years he cried every day going to work, and slept not a night without evil dreams, and it was only, kinda by accident he discovered stimulant drugs made him feel normal, not high, normal.

Well one thing led to another, the rest is history, we are history...

And his new man dumped him when, post-Sustiva, he realised the coke fest wasn't gonna go on...Nice to have the old God-is-in-my-eyes boy back, not nice to have the consequences (and the rest). Amazing how an orange standard of care pill can paint you into a corner.

It is 10 years, not to the day but roughly, R took his life cos he couldn't hack the idea of getting ill. Was a year before combo hit the South Coast in a big way, and anyhow his friends in NY were suffering on the drugs..so why bother? I miss R.

C is in hopsital, may never come out, some kind of bacterial infection. Despite reasonable numbers.

J's CMV retinitis took the last of his sight in a flare up in Jan.

D's gall bladder fucked up and his lipids are through the roof -- I am an expert in gourmet no-fat cooking but every spoonful of fatless tomato soup just says lipo in the basil leaves.

I met M's ex in town, by chance, and he asked "What happened to him?" -- he didn't even know he died in 1997.

On a good note, (nearly) all the rest of my friends all undetectable and well, JH got off all the drugs (without any fucking help but his friends) and his dog has the most splendid puppies, and M had a 6lb 4oz baby yesterday by vaginal birth.

James is a top band and playing right now is "Sometimes"

There's a storm outside, and the gap between crack and thunder
Crack and thunder, is closing in, is closing in
The rain floods gutters, and makes a great sound on the concrete
On a flat roof, there's a boy leaning against the wall of rain
Aerial held high, calling "come on thunder, come on thunder"

Sometimes, when I look deep in your eyes, I swear I can see your soul

How I wish

- matt

Now playing: Indigo Girls, Closer to Fine

Edited for punctuation
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:53:38 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Jody

Re: And the point of it all is...?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:40:41 pm »
Hi Newt...Well I guess the point of it all is that you are there for your friends who have struggled so much and are there for those doing better.  You have been a rock to so many folks here on this website with your intelligent advice, your friends are very lucky indeed.

I am able to handle most HIV drugs fairly well, I am fortunate in that, but Sustiva I only stayed on for a very short time, the mental part I could not handle...Could your ex not have switched to say Viramune or was he resistant and had to stay on Sustiva as long as he did.

Take care and keep yourself well.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:41:27 pm »
Here, and more than a little dumbstruck.  Seeing it.  Taking it in, but in the moment I got nothin.

Only a few little keystrokes in acknowledgement to you that I was here.

And I don't know either.

Wish I knew.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:19:04 pm »

James is a top band and playing right now is "Sometimes"

I love James.. just by accident I took out the CD "Laid" and played a few tracks including "Sometimes" from it last night.. hmmmmm.. and then also Millionaire. I love the song "I Know What I Am Here For" too. "Sit Down" can cheers me everytimes I play it.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:34:55 am »
Matt, hun, I don't know what to say.  I know that when you've upheld so many, it's hard to find someone to uphold you.  You've meant a lot to me and Mini.  I would never have found the nerve to change her meds without your gentle, and consistant, nudging.  I wouldn't have even known that it was an option for her.  She's better off for it.  I'm better off for it. 

My thank-you doesn't cover a whole lot, but it's said with all honesty and affection.  I wish I could give you more.

Mum :-*
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 06:04:34 pm »
Thanks

there's nowt to say really, just a moment

Just realised there are two M's in my first post - two different people. Anyhow, I came up witht the baby's name -- Nabulungi (beautiful), Nabulungi Rachel (last after her maternal grandmother's Christian name).

- matt

Now playing: Tumi & the Volume, 76 (off At The Baseline)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:27:13 pm »
Congrats to Mum and new baby.  What an awesome name!  Have you been able to see her yet?  How's mum doing?

Mum - who always finds hope in the world when a new life arrives.
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 03:26:30 am »
So many words going around my head after reading your post Newt, I know they are in there somwhere but I'm struggling, I just can't seen to get them out.

All I can come up with is a quote from an unknown Author

Our lives are like the course of the sun
In our darkest moments
there is always a promise of daylight.

I'm sure the name you have chosen for the baby suits her perfectly.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 10:46:38 am »
Newt,

You have conjured up many thoughts, perhaps none of them relative to anyone but me, and many memories.

There may be no point, aside from the fact we have been able to share out humanity.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »
Glad this is via the internet because I think my bad Brooklyn accent trying to say I don't know what to say would make it come across even worse.

truth is that I don't know what to say, but felt that just acknowledging what you wrote was important.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 10:15:39 pm »
I love accents!

They are one of my "not secret now" weirdo pleasures.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 07:53:07 am »
Matt, not sure I can put anything into correct wording after reading that.  I understand.  And I always follow your posts, because you truly are an inspiration. 
  {{LUV}}}
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Cliff

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 09:54:15 am »
Ah the Sustiva!  Glad the No. 1 boy is back.  Funny times.  Don't know if I should feel sad or not.  My volunteer client of a year (and then some) passed away a couple of weekends ago (one bacterial infection too many).  Spent time with him just about every Sunday.  Most times I am indifferent to this virus (I think), but sometimes (like now) I get mad.

My boy moved out (this weekend).  We need space.  With only one side full of products, the his and his vanity area looks pathetic.  And to make matters worse, the mirrored lighting (on the lonely side) is blinking out.

But life goes on. The Sun was particularly bright today.  HSBC loses $17 billion in America and still manages to make a $24 billion profit.  And beautiful babies are being born to positive families.  Hope dinner was good.  Italy was.  While wrestling pax for armrest space, and passing over Brighton on to Gatwick, I smiled at you (but realised you probably weren't there).  Speak soon.

Cliff

now playing: Free, Denice Williams (our song...and oh so on point)

Whispering in his ear
my magic potion for love
telling him I'm sincere
and that there's
nothing too good for us
and I just got to be free
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:58:19 am by Cliff »

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 11:16:32 am »
 Hi matt.

I've often thought nobody says it better than Iggy.  But you come a close second.

robert 

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 12:22:39 pm »
Echo, parlant quand bruyt on maine   
Dessus rivière ou sus estan,   
Qui beaulté ot trop plus qu'humaine?   
Mais où sont les neiges d'antan!

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.