Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:20:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 186
Total: 186

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any women who take sustiva/truvada ?  (Read 5948 times)

Offline sunflower99

Any women who take sustiva/truvada ?
« on: October 20, 2006, 05:25:42 pm »
Hi !

I would like to know if there are any women here who takes sustiva and truvada?
And if so, would you like to share your reactions to these meds?

Love Sun

Offline tsw923

Re: Any women who take sustiva/truvada ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 01:29:47 pm »
Hey Sun,

I'm beginning my second month of the meds.  At the beginning I would be incredibly sleepy after taking the meds.  So much so that I, usually a night owl, would be in bed and ASLEEP within 1/2 hour of taking them.  That's worn off some now, though I notice if I eat something really fatty (i.e. pint of ben and jerrys) right around 9 pm (2 hours before I take my meds) I get kinda 'drunk'.   (What can I say, sometimes I have to give in to depression  :-\)   It doesn't seem to affect my alcohol tolerance, but then I can't drink nearly as much as I used to anyway.  Sometimes I can't stay asleep though I fall asleep quickly -- I haven't figured out what's really causing that.  I haven't had the nightmares others talk about, however, in the beginning I did have some rather 'vivid' dreams about topics I wouldn't consider nightmares.

How about you?
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline sunflower99

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 06:33:05 am »
Hey tsw!

I havent started on meds yet but my doc thinks its getting time, Im having new tests in about 2 weeks to see how Im doing. Anyway he suggested sustiva & truvada. And from what Im reading a lot of people talk about this drunk feeling and I am living alone with 2 young kids so that worries me a bit. I mean how drunk is this drunken feeling... ? And I was thinking maybe the reaction is different if your a woman. Is it ok to have a glass of wine while on these meds? Are you feeling nausated? any stomach problems?

Love Sun

Offline tsw923

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:55:33 pm »
Hey Sun,

For me the effects have been subsiding as I go along.  You will definitely go to sleep at night if you take it in the evening but its not affecting me nearly as much as it did the first two weeks or so.  The drunken feeling happens to me now mostly when I do the fatty food thing just before I take my meds.  I have had a few glasses of wine before my pills and it doesn't make it any worse.  I do have some gas issues now.  I have a bit of diarhea from time to time.  I think I will try the beano or acidopholus that was suggested in another thread. 

My advice would be that if its possible to have someone stay with you for a night or two while you get to the meds, it would be helpful.  If you have any other questions, feel free to hit me on PM.

TSW
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline seekay70

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:31:56 pm »
hi there new to the group....I also am on both of those meds and agree that the only effect I have had is getting tired when I take them.  I take them before going to bed which seems to help me sleep as well as it is easier for me to remember to take them this way.  I also have 3 small children and do not feel that it affects me in a way that I would be unable to care for my children.

Sherry

Offline jntmax39

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 01:12:29 am »
HEY.SUNFLOWER,
MY NAME IS JANET i AM ON SUSTIVA AND TRUVADA,WITH ME I WAS TAKING TRUVADA IN THE MORNING AND SUSTIVA AT NIGHT.WHEN I FIRST STARTED THEM I GOT A LOT OF NASAEU AND VOMITING PLUS I COULDN'T STAY OUT OF THE BATHROOM. IWAS GETING SICK FROM BOTH ENDS
IT SUCKED BUT I GOT THREW MOST OF THE SIDE EFFECTS.STILL HAVE MINOR SIDE EFFECTS,BUT I WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH THE SIDE EFFECTS,BECAUSE MY NUMBERS ARE SO GOOD. I HAD FULL BLOWN AIDES 2 YRS AGO AND NOW I AM UNDETECTABLE AND CD4 IS IN THE 800'S CAN'T REMEMBER EXACTLY. BUT YOU KNOW WHAY EVERY ONE IS DIFFERENT,IF YOU HAVE TO GO ON MEDS SUSTIVA AND TRUVADA IS THE WAY TO GO. NOW I WILL BE ON THAT NEW PILL FOR SUSTIVA AND TRUVADA.I STARTED TAKING THEM BOTH AT BEDTIME SO MY BODY CAN BE USE TO TAKING ALL THREE OF THOSE PILSS IN ONE.
LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MADE OUT.I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ON THEM.

Offline Veritee

• Post Natal Illness Support
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 04:52:28 am »
On my second day of them

Take them in the evening - woke up this morning feeling what I can only describe as 'drunk' on them. Felt a little like this too yesterday on my first day.

Slept too heavily, yet they say you get sleep disturbance but I have slept too well and woke up feeling still asleep, drunk or drugged

I will let you know as it goes along if anyone is still interested. ( as this is an old thread)

Veritee XX
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:19:23 am »
I am pretty sure that Sustiva can cause birth defects, and therefore not recommended for women of child-bearing age unless they have reliable contraception.

Perhaps one of the moderators can clarify.

This is a good resource for managing side effects - http://positivelife.org.au/factsheet/1
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:24:14 pm by Tempeboy »
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:02:51 pm »
Tempe,

Women of child-bearing age can and do take Sustiva. While it's true that Sustiva is contraindicated during pregnancy, pregnancy can be prevented. Women who wish to get pregnant switch for another drug before discontinuing contraception.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Tempeboy

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »
I went to a presentation last night on Women with HIV - hosted by some kick-ass women working in HIV research and HIV medical care.  They discussed the risks of Efavirenz and pregnancy - including the topic of unplanned pregnancy ie the unreliability of contraception.

They said if women fall pregnant whilst on Efavirenz there is a high risk of birth defect, namely myelomeningocele.

For this reason Efavirenz is not prescribed in Australia to women of child bearing age.

Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 09:39:02 pm »
The risk is present but "high" is an overstatement. The recommendation not to use Sustiva in pregnancy is based on studies in monkeys, where Sustiva caused frequent birth defects, and 4 reports sent to the FDA (+ a couple reported elsewhere) of neural tube defects (a birth defect occurring in the brain or spinal cord) in children born to women who took Sustiva during the first 3 months of pregnancy. The number of case reports is insufficient to say whether these are or are not down to Sustiva in a certain way.

Nonetheless -- and rightly so for now -- Sustiva is not recommended by the manufacturers for women who are pregnant, plan to become pregnant or may become pregnant otherwise.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Tempeboy

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 10:50:48 pm »
Hey Newt,

I think they meant high in comparison to babies born to women who took other meds - but good point.

I spose 1 is 1 too many.

Dean Kiley

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.