Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:50:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773170
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 287
Total: 291

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Forum etiquette  (Read 2152 times)

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
Forum etiquette
« on: November 23, 2006, 03:48:13 am »
I'm pretty darn new at this whole message board thing... where would I go about finding general rules on how to post, when to start a new topic, what I can respond to and all that etiquette stuff that I'm sure will be usefull to know? anyone wanna give a newbie the shakedown(

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: Forum etiquette
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 04:04:07 am »
I'm pretty darn new at this whole message board thing... where would I go about finding general rules on how to post, when to start a new topic, what I can respond to and all that etiquette stuff that I'm sure will be usefull to know? anyone wanna give a newbie the shakedown(

Well here's what I know.

1. You can usually hit the reply button to post. If you want you can even use the quote button which will copy whatever someone said in a new box. I like to use the quote option a lot because sometimes reading so many posts, I forget who said what.

2. You can start a new topic at the beginning of a thread. If there is another way to do it, I'm sure someone will tell you. Depending on what your question is you can start a new topic anywhere. For instance if you wanna talk about a tv show or something you would post in Off Topic...If it was a question about nutrition for poz people then it would be Nutrition&HIV... You get the drift, right?

3. Even though you are new your knowledge is valued. I'm sure you have an experience you might want to share or notice you might have something in common with others here. There is no such thing as a stupid question, the only stupid question is the one left unasked. So feel free to comment or vent even. Keep in mind other people's feelings when making a reply, sometimes re-reading a post may help.

That is my 2 cents for ya. I'm sure a moderator will pop up and direct you where to go for the formal rules.
Welcome to the Forums.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 05:25:05 am »
Hi AtomicA,

Anytime you join a new organization, start a new school, or begin a new job, you expect to spend some time working out the culture of your new place, and cyberspace is no different. It has it's own myths, it's own set of rules, it's own history, that's all part of the fascination.

And just like everywhere else, on the net good manners and consideration for other make for a more pleasant time for all. As a newbie it is up to you to work out the rules. Luckily there are many guides, like this one, on becoming a good netizen of cyberspace.

Despite what you might hear about the net being anarchic, in fact there are rules. The rules are simply guidelines to make net life more pleasant for everyone. They attempt to take into account the fact that everyone uses the net in different ways and for different purposes, and that in order to accommodate the millions of people who use the net regularly, some guidance for acceptable use is necessary.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 07:35:11 am »
Welcome to the forums, Atomic.  If you click onto a content heading, you have the option of creating a new topic under that heading.  I admit to only reading and posting in 'living with hiv' and 'off topic.'  I admit, as someone who is also, relatively new, that when someone newer starts a topic which we have recently covered, I may reply that she/he might take a look at what we have recently said. It's not a criticism of the topic being repeated, but a way of she/he catching up.  If a moderator feels that you post a topic in the wrong content area, you may find it moved by her/him.  There is a core group of people you will usually find posting comments but I suspect that everyone is grateful each time new people post: the more voices we have commenting, the more useful the forums.  And I hope that you will find, as I am, that as you read the same posters over and over (or go to her/his profile and read through a series of posts) the more she/he becomes less an anonymous poster and more a real person talking across a table.  Again, welcome! Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 07:45:46 am »
I'm pretty darn new at this whole message board thing... where would I go about finding general rules on how to post

What everyone said above! Also, the intro link found in "Living With" is helpful too. Click here: WELCOME to the Living With HIV Forum!  ... The "skinny" is this: Jump right in and don't be shy  ;)  :)  ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.