Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:33:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 475
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bone scan and testosterone not provided at our clinic.  (Read 2900 times)

Offline CandyO

Bone scan and testosterone not provided at our clinic.
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:01:56 pm »
Good evening all.I hope everyone's weekend is off to a good start.My husband and I live in a rural area and have no insurance so he is seen at a public health clinic for Hiv.We asked for them to include testosterone and thyroid test to his routine lab test and we were told since they don't treat Testosterone at the clinic they can't include it in his lab work.Also They do not have funding to provide bone scans.Does anyone know where we can have these tests done.We have no insurance and no savings .He is 56 and was diagnosed in 1996 with Hiv and Hep B.Any Ideas are greatly appreciated.We live in Texas.
Thanks so much
CandyO

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Bone scan and testosterone not provided at our clinic.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:35:02 pm »
is there a particular reason why you're asking for these tests? You don't have to been specific, I was just wondering if there was a problem behind the reason for wanting these tests.

Is your husband eligible for Medicaid in your state?
http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/help/index.shtml
https://www.yourtexasbenefits.com/ssp/SSPHome/ssphome.jsp

edited to add:
poking through your past posts I do see why you're asking about the testosterone - because for over half a year you've been concerned about his libido and sexual function.

Can you visit a general practice clinic, rather than the HIV clinic, to check into this issue? This issue might - but might not be - HIV or med related. It could be age or some other problem.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:43:59 pm by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline CandyO

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:23:51 am »
Thank You Leatherman for your reply and the links.I filled out the forms online for medicaid just now.And I will follow up with a phone call monday.I am concerned about the link between low T and bone density as he has been having hip pain and is currently on zidovudine,The azt in it is a concern to us if there are other options.(We should get a copy of his latest geno this week and will proceed from there.)
As far as the no sex drive and inability to get an erection,He has not been able to get an erection in 13 years.He blames himself and thinks it is all in his head.I know it isn't because he has no nocturnal erections.He is 56 and I am concerned about cardiovascular risks and osteoperosis since he has been on hiv meds for many years and has taken some of the roughest hiv meds.Lately he has lost a lot of weight,His teeth were in horrible shape so we had them all pulled and bought him some dentures.I make sure to cook him 3 good meals a day to keep his strength up.
I am Hiv negative so I don't know how it feels to recieve the diagnosis.My best friend was poz since the early 80's so I attended as many seminars as I could and read as much as I could find out about this virus.Sadly my best friend died 2 years ago.NOT FROM HIV, but from drug addiction and a half gallon of canadian mist daily for years.I am determined to be an advocate for my husband and anyone else in this rural area who are to tired to fight this battle by themselves.
I am truely grateful for this forum and the fellowship that we all share.Every person on this forum is a blessing to me.
Thank you all
CandyO

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »
I am Hiv negative so I don't know how it feels to recieve the diagnosis.My best friend was poz since the early 80's so I attended as many seminars as I could and read as much as I could find out about this virus.Sadly my best friend died 2 years ago.NOT FROM HIV, but from drug addiction and a half gallon of canadian mist daily for years.I am determined to be an advocate for my husband and anyone else in this rural area who are to tired to fight this battle by themselves.
what a lucky man, your husband is; and what a wonderful person you are! Not only be being so pro-active for just your husband; but for others in your rural area.

Although I can't fix any of your problems (hopefully you will be able to get him onto Medicaid and that will be the start of fixing some of y'all's issues), I do hope from reading in these forums that you have seen that you are not alone. Several of us here have dealt with living through those earliest meds, and are still dealing with the consequences. (although I don't mind dealing with some long-term side effects - it sure beats the alternative of being dead without those early meds ;) ) My dental issues came years ago when those early meds had me throwing up daily and that acid destroyed my teeth. Now I'm hearing people are having dental issues that might be related with bone density issues. A bunch of us here live in rural areas too and can understand those hardships. While I'm lucky to have an ASO just 20 miles down the highway, some of my friends here from Missouri have to drive hundreds of miles back-n-forth to see their doctors.

And then of course, there are the financial problems of getting access to care. While some can poo-poo off how easy it is to live with HIV these days, some of us (you and your hubby included) who have dealt with it a long time, know it's only having adequate, consistent access to care that keeps HIV from being the same deadly killer it's always been.

I don't know if anyone else will come along with any other suggestions for you; but definitely keep on posting about the issues you and your husband have. You never know what kind of help you can get or what solutions someone else found until you ask  ;) Make sure to keep us informed about how the Medicaid application goes too! I don't know if that'll be your solution; but I've got my fingers crossed for you (and boy does that make typing much harder. LOL ;D )
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aaware72

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:23 pm »
While they did not do a bone scan before I started medication.  I did speak to my doctor about having my hormone levels checked to establish a base line.  It is my understanding that HIV medication may effect these hormones.  Seems like a good reason to have these tests done.  My doctor told me that he agree it was good to have these done.   
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.