Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:27:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 610
Total: 612

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral sex risk  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Anxietyissues

Oral sex risk
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:24:46 am »
Hi

I have had a number of experiences over the pat few months; all protected vaginal sex (no condom breakage) and three cases of unprotected oral sex. In all 3 (5,3, and 2.5 months ago) they were mutual oral; I both gave and received. I understand that receiving is very low risk, but what about giving? In all 3 there was orgasam on her part.

This is what has me worried.

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: Oral sex risk
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:41:53 am »
You never had a risk of contracting HIV from oral sex.

Offline Anxietyissues

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:57:30 pm »
So, is testing necessary? I cannot test for a couple of weeks and it is driving me crazy. I assume that condom protected vaginal sex is ok, but at least the info I have read on the internet says I have a risk with giving oral sex.

Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:41:33 pm »
No risk, no need to test over this incident.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:14:14 am »
Caveat:

Though you don't need to test over this incident, you ought to be getting twice yearly STD panels anyhow, including an HIV screening. Other STDs are easy to catch, can cause much damage if left untreated, and often show no symptoms.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Anxietyissues

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 01:11:25 am »
Thanks guys! I took a rapid test this morning that came back negative for HIV. No surprise for you, but a big relief for me. While not "definitive" since it is an 11 week post exposure on the last one, but more than enough to remove my anxiety  :)

I have been doing an annual screen for STDs with my physical already, but that is not until August and the anxiety would probably have made me worse.

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:03:27 am »
Although any sex with anything other than only your own hand theoretically has some risk, science and decades of experience in the epidemic have demonstrated that the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

If you need the inevitable negative result at 3 months then by all means get tested. I don't expect anything but another negative result for you.

Andy Velez

Offline Anxietyissues

Concerns
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 03:28:30 am »
Hi Everyone

I had an encounter with a couple of CSWs in China 5 weeks ago. We used condoms for both oral and vaginal sex. They changed condoms when I changed ladies. They seemed to know to what they were doing with them, but they changed them so fast I did not get the chance to inspect them, but I did not see anything that resembled a broken condom.

I got tested for STDs 10 days after the encounter and was negative. I got an antibody test (icma) at 25 day past exposure and it was negative. Inow after five weeks I am having a mild fever (99.5) and have some potential swollen lymph nodes (my neck is sore but no obviously swelling). I am worried now that I am starting to see ARS and my nerves will not let me relax. I can't sleep or focus on much of anything and only this and one other website have helped me manage.

A few questions:

1. I understand the risk is low, but is is zero?
2. Are ARS symptoms possible at five weeks?
3. Is there any value to my 25 day antibody test?

Thanks for your great help!

Offline RapidRod

Re: Concerns
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:17:35 am »
■Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

■If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:16 am »
I've merged your threads here. In the future please follow our rule as stated in the opening thread of this section and keep all of your entries in this one thread.

As for your latest question, nothing but sex with your own hand is 100% safe. However, properly used condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission. As long as condoms were used for the incident you are concerned about, then I don't see any cause for concern or any need for testing about that particular incident.

None of your symptoms are in anyway HIV specific. If they persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. A negative at 3 months can be considered conclusive.

In your case testing is really more for your peace of mind than anything else as I don't see that you have really had a risk. So testing is strictly up to you.   
Andy Velez

Offline Anxietyissues

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 10:57:58 pm »
Sorry about the multiple threads. It won't happen again.

I cannot seem to be able to get myself calmed down. I am 100% sure the condoms were not broken, but I can't seem to get that through my paranoid mind. Is there any value in getting a 5 or 6 week test (it is past 5 weeks now) to ease my mind? In my own mind I have several symptoms (sore neck area - lymph nodes?, mild fever, mild diarrhea) that I feel I must have it.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 08:01:04 am »
I've already told you that testing for you is strictly for your peace of mind since you did not have a for-real risk. A negative at 6 weeks will confirm that for you.
Andy Velez

Offline Anxietyissues

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:10:23 am »
Thanks Andy!

I appreciate the advice and support that you have given me.

I know I had no risk and my rational mind understands this; it's just that irrational little monster makes it more difficult.

Again Thanks.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.