Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:05:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773207
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 550
Total: 554

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ryan White  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Oh501sguy

Ryan White
« on: December 21, 2006, 05:35:44 am »
Whats up with Bush signing Ryan White for only 3 years rather than the normal 5 years.  Will we all be cured and healthy and have no need for it after 3 years?  God I hate him.  He will spend a fortune on other countries but when it comes to his own, he tries to get by on as little as possible.

Of course he wants mega billions for his personal war in IRAQ.  ( sigh).

Just venting...

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
Re: Ryan White
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:09:01 am »
I heard a short something on the news that Bush did not get the re-distribution of current funding he was looking for, that would have taken funding from metropolitan areas and shifted them to rural areas.

I believe this type of entitlement program keeps running automatically at previous-years' levels if Congress/WH do not fiddle with its workings on an annual basis. I was actually hoping it never got to Bush at all, then it would just stay as it was for another year but of course the Repubs can't pass up a photo op, even if it is for us bad, infected gays.

as an aside, over 70% of current military personel say its fine by them if they fight along side gays and lesbians, up from only 19% lasttime they were asked.

except maybe the air force; they are getting as little zealous with their "christian warrior" motif
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 10:43:29 am »
I don't know all the gory details of how this bill was passed - and I am sure for anyone interested they can find the news on the web - but I do remember reading that the bill that congress passed was actually a compromise finally worked out after months of negotiation between senators.  Some from the big states didn't want more money going to the burbs etc.  Ted Kennedy and Hillary and Shumer were involved I think and this is what congress finally was able to come up with.

Here is a quote from an August article in the Washington Post:

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is holding up renewal of the primary federal law that battles HIV/AIDS, the 1990 Ryan White Act, causing a rift among activists on the subject and threatening approval of the legislation this year.

As far as I know it wasn't a Bush decision to make it 3 years instead of 5 but is what it took to get enough senators to vote yes.  Like I said, I haven't paid as much attention to this as I should and hope that now that there is more (but maybe not enough) democratic control of congress - we may see further improvements in the Act.

Here is a link to a 12/15/06 article in the Washington D.C. Blade that describes some of the political crap that occurred and one paragraph from the article:  http://www.washblade.com/2006/12-15/news/localnews/white.cfm

Last week, Clinton and Schumer agreed to withdraw their hold on the bill after Senators Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) and Michael Enzi (R-Wyo.), the two lead sponsors of the Ryan White bill, agreed to revisions that would significantly reduce projected funding losses for New York, New Jersey and California. Kennedy and Enzi also agreed to extend the life of the new bill for three years rather than five years, with the aim of further adjusting funding formulas for different states at the time of the legislation expires.

Also, I think if this had not been renewed all funding would have stopped.  It wasn't like other parts of the government that got funded till next year.

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline tcellsnaction

• just me.....
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 02:39:15 am »
Hey there,

It's a three year reauth instead of the usual five year bill because another 5 year reauth would have come up for renewal in an election year.....

The details are gory, especially since I have had an ear to this everyday for months because of my work am required to take notes of those in the know for official record.  As mentioned earlier in another thread, it was reported that he signed the bill back on December 11th.  In addition, this was one of the last things that Congress passed before recessing....as in on their way out the doors.  The compromise was reached because it put a limit on the losses larger areas would have encurred in the next three years with the sunset of the bill occuring at that time.  The Congress has promised to hold community meetings and forums starting next year to assess the community needs so that they may be addressed in the new Bill in three years....

I hope my t-cells will hold up...

Next stop HRSA's new housing changes that limit people to only 24 months in a lifetime of housing subsidy.

Live With Passion!

Wherever you feel most comfortable, this is your home....
Whoever shows you greatest love and kindness, these are your family....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.