Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:19:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 230
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV negativ when U=U ?  (Read 5211 times)

Offline testii28

HIV negativ when U=U ?
« on: June 30, 2022, 03:34:25 am »
Hello,

if I will be maybe in the near future U=U does it mean that my HIV test will be turn negativ? I'm asking  because some countries have travel restrictions.

Thanks

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: HIV negativ when U=U ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 04:49:39 am »
Hello,

if I will be maybe in the near future U=U does it mean that my HIV test will be turn negativ? I'm asking  because some countries have travel restrictions.

Thanks

No. Somewhat simplified, but you will still test reactive for HIV on an antibody HIV test, the virus might become undetectable in your blood in viral load tests, so technically speaking below the threshold of the tests to detect accurately, some tests that threshold is as low as 20 copies, but for (TaSP) U=U the threshold is anything below 200 copies, either way, the virus is still there in your blood, and other tissues within the body and antibodies are still produced and detectable.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 05:39:27 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 05:42:02 am »
I'm asking  because some countries have travel restrictions.

True, if you are looking into travel, you can check the requirements for each nation here: https://www.hivtravel.org/
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline testii28

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 03:12:49 pm »
During my health check I got a a shock that lot of figures were positiv.
Hepatitis AB,Varicella zoster virus, EBV VCA etc. The doctor reassured me that these values are due to vaccination or former infection and are not active.

Isn't it the same with HIV with the difference that we have to suppress the virus with drugs? Having antibodies does not tell anything about my health status.
If we search for any virus with antibodies I am sure we can find a lot in our body.
Why do people and governments (travel restrictions) give this virus such high importance?

Am I looking at this from the wrong angle?

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 04:03:55 pm »
Isn't it the same with HIV with the difference that we have to suppress the virus with drugs?

No it isn't.  Not even going to start why chicken pox as you mentioned and HIV are different in terms of impact, death toll or stigma

If we search for any virus with antibodies I am sure we can find a lot in our body.
Why do people and governments (travel restrictions) give this virus such high importance?

The cost of having to treat us is one concern, irrational concerns we will spread the virus is another but otherwise it's the stigma, hate, loathing and hysteria against the communities we belong or are associated with because we live with this virus.

Am I looking at this from the wrong angle?

No but as hash as it sounds, welcome to living with HIV.

It isn't all roses and sunshine. You will eventually have contact with ignorant people and sometimes ignorant nations. Things are better than they used to be, but that doesn't mean the fight for fair or equal treatment or our basic rights is over and u=u certainly isn't going to fix it. TaSP is decades old, no change.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:33:15 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 02:44:27 am »
I certainly wish that undetectable would mean no antibodies for the same reason as the OP. I work internationally and now struggle. Twice I have been offered my old job back in Kurdistan and one more additional opportunity there with a different company. Unfortunately I can't pass the medical. Just had an interview for Brunei, a quick search on HIVtravel.org shows they wont even let us in for a holiday, let alone work. Such is their ignorance and paranoia.

Unfortunately in most cases, U=U is only important to us, the rest of the world doesn't really give a damn.

As Jim said above, welcome to living with HIV.

Offline testii28

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 03:24:21 am »
Maybe there will be a solution in the near future. This travel restrictions pisses me off. I cannot accept a job offer in Dubai. 

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 09:31:02 am »
a girlfriend of mine has traveled most every country in the world,, i asked her about being tested, and she said she has never been tested for HIV in any country she's traveled to.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.