HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Am I at any risk?

(1/1)

marceloso:
A few days ago I had receptive anal sex with a trans sex worker.

She started with a condom but in the middle of the act we took a small break and she removed the condom. After a few minutes she rubbed the tip of her penis (without a condom) 4 times over my anus and inserted it one time. I immediately told her to stop and put a condom on. Which she did and we proceeded with the protected intercourse. No ejaculation was involved.

Few hours later I started worrying about the whole thing and decided to see a doctor, who prescribed me PEP, which I started taking 6 hours right after the intercourse and now I am on the 4th day taking it religiously at the same time everyday (first thing in the morning). I'm not feeling any significant side effects.

My questions are:
1 - Was I initially at risk to justify the use of PEP?
2 - Is still there any risk of infection considering I will finish the PEP regimen?

Thank you very much.

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

If I understand you correctly, there was brief condomless intercourse, this is an HIV risk, and you started PEP within 6 hours of the encounter.

--- Quote --- Is still there any risk of infection considering I will finish the PEP regimen?
--- End quote ---

Yes. Now the good news is PEP is highly effective, and it rarely fails if taken correctly and started within 72 hours. To confirm your HIV status after finishing PEP, you will need to test.

Test at six weeks post finishing PEP with a blood-drawn (Lab) HIV antibodies test, a non-reactive result at that time would rarely ever change and retesting at three months post completing PEP is generally not needed.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, every time, with no exceptions. Continue taking PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as 'safe' in terms of HIV might still pose a risk for other STI's, so test regularly and at least yearly for STI's including but not limited to HIV. Test more frequently should condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and, the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" The forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

marceloso:
Thank you very much, Jim.

Jim Allen:
You're welcome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version