Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2022, 11:48:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 765071
  • Total Topics: 65182
  • Online Today: 429
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 84
Total: 84

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Conclusive testing after PEP  (Read 1669 times)

Offline pep_user

• Standard
Conclusive testing after PEP
« on: January 20, 2022, 04:01:55 pm »
Hello forum,

I hope everyone is well. I wanted to seek guidance on the conclusiveness of testing following a course of PEP. I had an encounter with woman where she forced me to have sexual relations with her. I insisted on condom use but it broken during penetration leaving me unprotected for like 1-2 minutes. This person says they are negative for all STDs but for obvious reasons, I donít trust anything she says. She later on went to block me and I canít communicate with her.

Long story short, I was pretty traumatized and I sought PEP 30 hours after exposure. I took my pep religiously and never skipped a dose.

I have done the following testing:
Week 4 after exposure: PCR RNA - non detected; AgAb: non-reactive; Chlamidya/Gonorrhea/Hep C Ab: negative; Hep B: immune
Week 8 after exposure: AgAb lab: non-reactive; Syphillis: negative

* at this point, my doctor told me I was negative and that I should move on with my life; though searching the web and the CDC guidelines told me otherwise *

So,
15.5 weeks after exposure: Finger prick AgAb: non-reactive at planned parenthood
17.5 weeks after exposure: lab AgAb: non-reactive

For obvious reasons, this has been a very traumatic time for me. My girlfriend broke up with me because I have not been myself for quite a long time and I couldnít open up about my assault to anyone.

All I want is to know if I should test again for hiv or this is sufficient to exclude infection? Iím very worried despite my own doctor, a second infectious disease expert, Dr. Hook, Dr. Handsfield, and multiple sources telling me Iím conclusively negative.

What should I do? Is it safe for me to go back in the dating world? Im really scared if I end up infecting other people. I also did not have any other sexual interaction or exposure whatsoever since the event prompting PEP.

Your advice will be very helpful in this tumultuous time.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Conclusive testing after PEP
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 04:20:54 pm »
Hiya,

Your last test was 13 weeks post finishing PEP. This non-reactive result is conclusive over the concerning incident.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP going forward as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other easier to transmit STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline pep_user

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 09:23:08 am »
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your reassurance.
In your opinion, what do you think about testing at 6 months after exposure, after PEP? Are these simply outdated information and there is no chance of an infection being missed when testing 13 weeks after PEP?

Iím worried about an infection being missed and me not getting on treatment early enough to prevent worse HIV complications.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 09:41:45 am »
At six weeks post finishing PEP a non-reactive result from blood (lab) antibodies test will rarely ever change and retesting at three months is generally not needed.

However, you did a test three months post finishing PEP and as would be expected it was a non-reactive result and this is conclusive over the concerning incident. Testing at six months over a possible sexual exposure would be decades out of date.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline pep_user

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 04:27:16 pm »
Hi forum,

Iím curious. It has now been 6 months since I finished my PEP treatment. Iím thinking of going into Planned Parenthood and get an Alere Rapid Ag/Ab. I havenít had any exposures in the meantime. Is there a chance this will come back positive?
Should I be worried about a false positive result?

I have been working on anxiety with my social worker and things have been a lot better but sometimes it comes back and I feel like maybe testing again will help.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 09:20:55 pm »
Hiya,

You have conclusively tested negative over the concerned encounter, this non-reactive result isn't going to change unless you have had other more recent exposures.

Should I be worried about a false positive result?

That's never a real concern, false reactive results on screening tests can and do happen, it's not a diagnosis though and any reactive results simply means more specific follow-up testing is required.

Jim.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline pep_user

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 12:39:09 am »
Hi Jim,

Hope you are well. I'm back with another brief round of questions to see if you can help me assess. I wasn't sure if starting another thread was okay so I figured I keep it all in the same thread.

a) I did another round of testing at around 7.5months after the exposure warranting PEP. One Ag/Ab blood draw that has returned non-reactive and one PCR RNA that has returned non-detected. Is it fair to say this only confirms the negative results we discussed from earlier tests and that it is fair to move on from the August incident?

b) in the meantime, I have had 2 protected encounters (vaginal, used condoms that didn't break) with two people from my university. the first was about 32 days prior to my AgAb/PCR rna tests and the second was 18 days prior to that round of testing. Would you recommend to further test for HIV regarding those two exposures as well? My understanding was that if the condom does not break there is 0 chance of contracting HIV but the internet is giving me mixed signals and don't have the expertise to know what to do next.

c) I have decided to abstain from sexual practice due to the severe anxiety I have around HIV. I want, however, to be sure of my status with regards to hiv. Would you recommend doing tests at any timeline or were the tests mentioned in b) sufficient given what I have described?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 02:14:07 am »
a) I did another round of testing at around 7.5months after the exposure warranting PEP.

The first time you posted, you had already had a conclusive result. No further testing was or is needed. You did not acquire HIV from the concerned encounter, end of story!

I wish you well, but please don't post about that encounter again or about testing over that encounter.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 02:14:23 am »
b) in the meantime, I have had 2 protected encounters (vaginal, used condoms that didn't break) with two people from my university. Would you recommend to further test for HIV regarding those two exposures as well?

HIV can't transmit through an intact latex or polyurethane condom. Unless a condom obviously fails during intercourse, there is no reason to be stressing or testing for HIV outside of the standard yearly routine.

So no HIV testing is needed over these encounters, just move on with your life and test out of standard routine yearly.

Condoms also reduce the risks of other STIs. However, the protection levels for various STIs depend significantly on how these infections infect. Some STIs (Not HIV) can also be acquired through skin-to-skin contact or viral shedding during sex on areas not covered by a condom, such as genital herpes, human papillomavirus [HPV], etc.

No need to panic or test every time you have sex though over STIs. Just test out of routine yearly.

c) I have decided to abstain from sexual practice due to the severe anxiety around HIV.

If your fears impact how you live your life, and in this case, your sex life,  your sexual life, I would recommend you consider talking to a qualified therapist. In addition, you could also consider using PrEP to provide you with an additional layer of HIV prevention and peace of mind.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline pep_user

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 06:49:18 pm »
And back at it again, with another inquiry. I would appreciate the timely response given that I'm still in the PEP window (47 hours so far) and have to decide soon.

Long story short, I have messed up again and despite my determination to abstain, I was engaged in a massage therapy session with a up-scale CSW (appointment only + very high fee). The only genital contacts I had was me kissing her body (I understand to be risk free), and using my fingers to to stimulate her clitoris area. Granted my fingers never entered her vagina, and I was under the feeling that this is safe sex, but I noticed a small cut on my index finger (<1 cm long), the kind you get from peeled skin around the nail area. I do recall having some vaginal fluid over my cut, but all of the exposure was in open air, as I didn't have any insertion.

No other penetrative or oral sexual events took place. Upon inquiring from the lady, she laughed and said she is very healthy and well and is particular about the people she sees with no penetrative actions ever taking place.

The big question is, is there any risk associated with getting HIV from vaginal secretions over this minor cut? Should I pursue PEP again? It has been about 48 hours since the incident and I'm very confused and ashamed. I had a call with the San Francisco Clinic and they didn't recommend PEP nor testing. An in-person appointment with a nurse practitioner today saw the cut and told me I should be fine, Happy to attach a picture of my finger or send privately if helpful.

Is this really a no-risk event no matter the cut? Why do people say cuts are access to the bloodstream and consider this to be risk? Also how do I distinguish an open cut from a non-open cut and does that even make a difference?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:06:18 pm by pep_user »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 07:27:03 pm »
The vaginal fluids you are concerned about aren't an HIV risk to start with and the cut isn't an HIV route.

Now in theory if you had a cut that required urgent medical care and stitches, like cutting your finger off and instead of going to hospital, you instead stuck the bloody stump into her vagina, well, then in theory my concern would be with her, not you.

I had a call with the San Francisco Clinic and they didn't recommend PEP nor testing.

Makes sense, considering what you posted isn't an HIV risk to you.

Relax, Move on with your life!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:31:19 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline pep_user

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 07:40:18 pm »
Jim,

Your messages bring me a lot of peace. I truly appreciate it. Your sense of humor is also very appreciated! You are truly a blessing.

Yes, the cut wasn't substantial and if I recall correctly, there has not been any active bleeding.

So, you basically recommend no testing at all regarding this encounter? Would there be a case when a cut like you describe would result in HIV transmission or is the vaginal secretion not infectious as soon as it hit open air? Curious about how this is different than vaginal exposure, given that I continue to read there have been 0 documented cases through fingering.

Thank you again once more.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 07:44:53 pm »
Hiya,

As said, move on with your life. So no testing iover what you posted is needed as you didn't have an exposure.

Would there be a case when a cut like you describe would result in HIV transmission or is the vaginal secretion not infectious as soon as it hit open air? Curious about how this is different than vaginal exposure, given that I continue to read there have been 0 documented cases through fingering.

Not sure what the question is. The fluids you came into contact with didn't have viable HIV to start with and as for fingering there are zero cases as it lacks route for HIV to infect.

Day to day cuts, scrapes or wounds aren't routes for HIV.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2022 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.