Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Forum Quieter?

(1/2) > >>

Loa111:
Happy Monday Folks!  ;D

I'm thinking, is the Poz Forum a lot quieter these days? (I'm excluding the "Am I Infected" section). Seems there's a serious lack of action on the forum parts where us Poz people hang out "Living" section etc. Used to be lots of posts & replies a couple of years back. Anyone else noticing this?

Who knows, maybe it's a good thing, meaning people are doing well and don't need to talk much. I check the forum most days, (often without logging in) and I do miss the action, the questions, the stories of recovery, the knowledge sharing & the replies. It feels a bit lonely on here these days.

Or have other hiv forums taken over as the online place for poz people to hang out? This is the only forum I know, so hoping it gets back to more interaction soon.

Jim Allen:
The last two months have been slightly busier than usual, although the previous week has been quiet. We have been getting more views than normal as well these last months.

However, I think a big part of it is living with HIV has changed, so newbies post more questions at first, but after a few months, they adjust, get treatment and move on with their lives, no ongoing drama and that's good.  :-)

Support at the point of diagnosis is getting better in some places, not to mention a forum as a platform is an old concept and limited. Social media is also a factor and some people just want (wanted) to post nonsense that's not allowed here but they can on other platforms, I would rather the forum is quieter but maintains a reputation of being accurate ;) I know in a recent review of HIV forums & Social networks we still came out on top because of the latter.

Although, I hope one day these forums will not be needed at all anymore until then it's here for whoever needs it.

--- Quote ---hoping it gets back to more interaction soon.
--- End quote ---

The answer is to post more.

Loa111:
Makes sense Jim, and yes much better keeping the forum posting strict & accurate, as we don't need to wade through a load of BS posts & comments.

Yes I notice a few people go got Dx'ed around the same time as me and posted a bit back then have faded away. Me, I like to stick around & lurk in case I can help someone, even if it is only a "hey we've all been there, life get's better".

I enjoy checking for news in the Research section...just in case someone invents a once a year injection or something lol  8).

I know there's Groups on Facebook but I cannot go there, as it involves me revealing myself (too lazy to make an anonymous  FB profile for that purpose).

I could do a few posts whinging & moaning about my poz related belly fat, the same whinging I do at the ID clinic each visit lol but I will save you guys the headache.  ;)

Jim Allen:

--- Quote ---Me, I like to stick around & lurk in case I can help someone, even if it is only a "hey we've all been there, life get's better".

--- End quote ---

Yup, letting people know they are not alone is important.

--- Quote ---I know there's Groups on Facebook but I cannot go there, as it involves me revealing myself (too lazy to make an anonymous  FB profile for that purpose).
--- End quote ---

I was but I left all of them, could not get past the fake treatments, diets and bs asides from a large number of obvious posts from people not living with HIV.

--- Quote ---I could do a few posts whinging & moaning about my poz related belly fat, the same whinging I do at the ID clinic each visit lol but I will save you guys the headache.  ;)
--- End quote ---

It's okay to moan from time to time, sometimes we all need to vent issues.

Bucklandbury:
Well, I am checking in pretty much multiple times a day since my diagnosis. I just hate rehashing the same old things over and over - or whining further about my SFN. I thought I was going to get off scot free with my "touch of AIDS," but it didn't happen. I started noticing these weird fasciculations in my left foot in June, which continue today all over my body - along with a sunburnt feeling and some pain that now goes up my legs and sometimes is back in my hands. I am also noticing at times the tingling goes up the right side of my face. That is new. I am sure it's the HIV, and I am not sure anything can be done about it, but I will see my PCP on the 16th. She only has ~ 5 years of experience, and I am not sure how much of it is with PLWH.

I am being naughty these days - I stopped taking my Dapsone a couple of days ago, but I had a CD4 absolute count of 256 or so back in mid-April (up from 60 in mid-March when I was first diagnosed) and on June 2, I was at 311 (CD4 16.13% - not great but above the 14% cutoff I have seen for PCP prophylaxis). My ID doctor surely still wants me to be on the Dapsone, but I think I am done with it. If someone thinks I need to continue it with it, he or she can speak up. I hate taking all the antibiotics - pill burden, cost, potential for drug toxicity, drug interactions, and selection of drug-resistant pathogens.

Anyway, I am not the same person I used to be. My body really has changed to the detriment, but I am learning to deal with it. I do enjoy reading all about others folks who have had AIDS - even though getting that advanced is nothing I would wish on anyone. I am really ashamed of progressing that far and being almost 51 and getting it. I was negative in late October 2017, but I was obviously a fast progressor. I escaped HIV for 30+ years, but my bad behaviors caught up with me. I am trying to put all that behind me. I am so lucky my partner of 29 years has stuck with me through all this. I so realize his value to me now, so for that I am truly grateful. If I died tomorrow, I would do so a much more honest man, something which I have not always been.

I also now truly recognize my own mortality, which is a stark realization at any age. I am no longer a young man! The death recently of my former sister-in-law from COVID (she was 48) has also made me keenly aware of how fragile a human life is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version