Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:57:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 456
Total: 456

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Becoming a low-level Lab Rat  (Read 5245 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Becoming a low-level Lab Rat
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:37 pm »
Yes, chillruns...I am due to start participating in a small study as of this Monday.  From what they've told me so far, it has to do with dosing, adherence and level of personal knowledge about the medicines I am taking - as well as about the disease itself.

It's mostly gonna be a series of interviews - both in person and over the phone - but they are also gonna wanna suck some blood out periodically (which I hate to even already be thinking about - yuck).  There was another one they asked me to consider participating in, but it involved a lumbar puncture - and I just didn't know if I was down with all that.

This thing does pay something or other, but not much.  Not really doing it for the money anyway.  Just sort of feel like contributing a little blood and tears....just not lumbar level tears at this time.  I've done other studies for them - some involving several days stays at Grady.  Those weren't all that fun.  We'll see how this one goes.

No big whoop.  Just felt like posting something, really.  Something that didn't involve No No's, Noni Juice or Nigerian cures.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
Re: Becoming a low-level Lab Rat
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:44:48 pm »
This is awesome, Mister Tee.  Just be sure and stock up on chia seeds before you dive in.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:22:19 am »
Something that didn't involve No No's, Noni Juice or Nigerian cures.

Noni Juice is delicious!
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »
Sooooooo....an update. 

My original start date for this got screwed up, and I ended up driving all the way down there and wasting an afternoon for nothing.  I got rescheduled, and did my first set of labs and interview.  Two things were gleaned from this:

1.)  I think it is now safe to say, some 10 years into infection, that I am all but certain to never become a junkie.  I am still such a total puss when it comes to needles.  I squirm, I tap, I hum, I look away, I b-r-e-a-t-h-e......

2.)  If you ever want another reality check about how easy so many of us have it with our current regimens, try performing the test I was given.  I had about a dozen bottles.  Some once a day, some twice, some three times, some four.  Some had to be taken with food, while others had to happen at certain points before or after meals.  Some couldn't be taken with certain types of food or drink.  I had to arrange a schedule for all the pill so that I took them at the appropriate times and with or without the foods.  I also had to be able to determine within the mountain of pills if I had missed doses of any of them, how many doses and, based on the labels of each, whether at a given time to go ahead and take the late/missed dose or wait until the next one.  I've been well over 95% adherent, but I still found this to get tricky.

Beyond that, the rest was fairly standard stuff about detailing how I actually carry and take my own meds, and my lifestyle choices and their potential impact on adherence.  (Does tweaking all weekend sometimes cause you to forget your meds?  Do you have a hard time taking your pills in front of a trick?  That sort of thing.) 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:08:50 pm »
2.)  If you ever want another reality check
ah! that brings back memories.  :D I remember when I dropped from 32 pills, tablets, gelcaps, and tablespoons of meds a day to only 28 a day and could finally go a whole 6 hours between doses.

did you find out what it was paying? just gas cards or somthing? LOL
how long/often is this study? it doesn't sound too bad - especially compared to lumbar punctures. :o
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:33:35 pm »
ah! that brings back memories.  :D I remember when I dropped from 32 pills, tablets, gelcaps, and tablespoons of meds a day to only 28 a day and could finally go a whole 6 hours between doses.

did you find out what it was paying? just gas cards or somthing? LOL
how long/often is this study? it doesn't sound too bad - especially compared to lumbar punctures. :o

Oh, it's not really paying much of anything.  I think maybe $100 total, spread out over a couple of visits.  From where I am, and at today's prices, that's basically just gas there and back - especially when you consider that I've already taken one trip down there "on me" since the appointment got cancelled that day. 

I've done a few other ones over the years.  One involved staying at Grady for a couple of days.  I'll happily do what I can on that front from time to time, but I just can't see a lumbar puncture.  Yikes. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:44:16 pm »
Sorry I missed this when you orginally posted it.  Are you actually taking different meds for this trial?  Why are they testing adherance for outdated meds?

Probably the most difficult med (in terms of convenience) was which ever one it was that had to be refridgerated.  What a total pain in the ass if you wanted to stay away from home for more than a few hours.  I think it was actually worse than the every 4 hour pill since my insomnia assisted with that one.

Be sure and post the study results.  I'd love to see what they're trying to garner.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
Sorry I missed this when you orginally posted it.  Are you actually taking different meds for this trial?  Why are they testing adherance for outdated meds?

Probably the most difficult med (in terms of convenience) was which ever one it was that had to be refridgerated.  What a total pain in the ass if you wanted to stay away from home for more than a few hours.  I think it was actually worse than the every 4 hour pill since my insomnia assisted with that one.

Be sure and post the study results.  I'd love to see what they're trying to garner.

Wolfie

No, I am not taking different meds.  And no, they aren't testing for outdated meds.  Lots of people have to take combinations of not only HIV meds but peripheral meds and sometimes the scheduling of them all can get complicated.  It's about finding what obstacles impede adherence to meds as a whole and what can be done to improve it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline elf

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »
I would love to be in a survey.

I'm thinking of faking substance abuse, so I could take Antabuse for some months
(which would flush out my HIV reservoir, at least partially, but every single % counts)...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.