Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:59:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: urgent help needed...please.  (Read 11260 times)

Offline AGNY07

urgent help needed...please.
« on: May 18, 2007, 12:11:55 pm »
Well I am here for something stupid that happened. Last night I went t a trip club and got a private dance. She pulls out my penis and rubs and is moving back and forth. All of a sudden I realized that my penis is nside her. I pushed her and it got out. I was so upset. I asked her why and when she did that. she said she slipped it in and rocked back and forth a few times until I pushed her off. I would say estimate time was 20 or 30 seconds. I have never had unprotected sex.

my question is how much of a risk? Should I start PEP?

after I went to the emrgency room and got a std screening. I asked the doc about pep and she said that she wasnt sure it it was necesary to ask my primary doctor. She was hesitant to give me a prescription because of all the side effects and was not sure if it was worth it. this is what she prescribed...

Indinavir sulfate every 8 hours
abacavir sulfate twice a day
nevirapine every 12 hours

So i gues what im worried about is if i was at risk and is pep warranted.

thank you so much for the help in this time of need.

Offline Rookie_md

Re: urgent help needed...please.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 12:16:14 pm »
Well , the risk is small, but i would,nt gamble on such as small risk always have a margin of safety, yes your physician gave you PEP and get tested after 6 weeks...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:19:36 pm »
Whoa! You're so anxious you entered this same thread twice! I've deleted the duplication.

Now, the situation is NOT perilous, so please take a couple of good deep and slow breaths in and out. I mean it. Right now!

OK. Hopefully have done that.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. Even IF the dancer you were with is HIV+, and that's a BIG if, it is significantly harder to transmit the virus from female to male. Given the brevity of this single incident the odds are overwhelmingly against transmission having occured.

Yes, as a precaution I recommend that you get tested at 13 weeks after the incident just to pick up the inevitable negative result and ease your mind.

And no, PEP is absolutely NOT warranted in this case.

Now, given your level of anxiety I would suggest that you stay productively busy during the waiting period. It will help the time to pass more quickly than you can imagine.

AND be sure to do that deep and slow breathing if you find yourself tensing up. It really helps.

I expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:24:36 pm »
Rookie, I totally disagree with your evaluation of the situation. It's also either unclear or actually incorrect. If someone takes PEP they need to count the time for testing from when PEP is completed. Since it takes 28 days for PEP, the waiting time is counted from the completion of that regimen.

You are also not someone who is familiar with how we work here. Please don't post responses without getting to know us better. Yours is a reply only likely to unnecessarily fuel someone's fears.

Thanks for your cooperation.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:27:24 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Rookie_md

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 12:31:24 pm »
Well Andy, the CDC recommend PEP for exposures, I always give my patients a choice and give them a margin of safety you are correct that it is hard to transmitt female to male... But would you put yourself on such risk? I always recommend PEP, yes the side effects are undesirable but. it will definitely decrease the risk... I do know that he is really anxious...with all due respect... thanks

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 12:34:23 pm »
Be it known, AG, that the above response is from someone of quite suspicious credibility.  I would firmly side with Andy Velez on this one.  I smell a rat with the rookie.

Be it also noted that I have asked this rookie to verify his medical credentials and he has sinced logged off.

What a coincidence.   ::)

EDIT:  Actually, I was watching for responses to this thread in particular, as I could see the scenario fell right in line with the rookie's previous posts about the CDC and PEP.  The timing was remarkable.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:36:00 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 01:26:56 pm »
AG,

Thunter and Andy are 100% correct in their evaluation of your scenario.  I would get tested at 13 weeks, and I'd bet you large sums of money it will be negative.  I personally would not put too much worry into your status, you will be negative.

As far as rookie is concerned he is an unverified source of information, and incorrect.  Listen to those of us that have studied this virus and lived with it.  That is what these forums are about.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 01:56:11 pm »
Thank you all for your evauluation.  Feel a littke beter. Just a couple of things if you have time to respond. Since i didnt realize that i was in her it could have been as long as a minute.  Not sure if that makes a diference. Also it was not in all the way since i had my jeans still on.

since she did do this i would think that she has done this many times with no protection which could mean she is poss. knowing this fact would it just be safer the take the pep?

sorry if i was repetative but im very nervouse. thank you so much for the responce and your time.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 02:51:16 pm »
I would say no to PEP.  It is unnecessary.  You dont realize how difficult it is to transmit HIV from female to male AND she is most likely HIV negative.  You werent in deep enough to get close to the CERVIX which is where HIV is concentrated in women.

So reread what we've told you and try to relax.  Like we said, you will end up negative from this experience.
RIDE!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 05:31:11 pm »
AGNY,

Matty the Damned agrees with Andy and AC on this. PEP is really not warranted. The side effects (especially from indinavir) are horrible and the chances of testing negative are overwhelmingly in your favour.

As Andy noted you should test in 13 weeks from the date of this incident. You should also ignore "rookie_md" who clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 06:16:39 pm »
AG,

I'll chime in here as well to confirm the good news - you do NOT need PEP in relation to this incident. Also, you should NOT have been prescribed the abacavir, even if you DID need PEP, because there are potentially life-threatening side-effects associated with this drug. Don't bother filling the script.

If you decide to go against our advice and take the PEP, make sure you have a look at the Drugs section of these forums so you know what to expect in terms of side-effects. But seriously, you don't need to take those drugs at all.

I'm afraid your STI screen was done far too soon to be of any use. While you are highly unlikely to have become infected with hiv during this brief encounter, the other STIs are MUCH easier to transmit. You should screen ten days to two weeks after the incident, or sooner if you experience any symptoms such as burning upon urination or unusual discharge.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

I'm fully expecting you to come out of this experience hiv negative - without the use of PEP.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 09:30:55 pm »
Thank you all. I decided not to take PEP. Thank you again.

The only thing is that it has been three days since and now I have a bad sore throat and body ache. Just a question. If there is symptoms I mean if there are when would they start and what are they?

Thanks for the time.

AG

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 09:33:42 pm »
We don't discuss symptoms in this forum. Symptoms or the lack of is no indication of HIV infection. HIV has no specific symptoms.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 10:20:28 pm »
PS I just noticed your additional comment about not having fully penetrated her. That only increases the likelihood that you will test negative during this single and brief incident.

Even IF she is HIV+, and that's a big and important IF, with only partial penetration on your part you would not likely have reached her cervical area, which is where the fluids are which would contain the highest concentration of HIV, IF she's HIV+.

Taken everything in consideration, and your understandable concern notwithstanding, I expect you to come out of this ok when you test.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 08:43:34 am »
thank you again. i have been looking back at the situation and remeber a detail. when i was with her she had pantoes and thin shorts. the time i tried to touch here there she would move. the couple times i did it seemed hard. even whene she was on top and giving me
ap dance i touched but only from outside. it seems she moved her stuff slitly to put in my penis. wha i am gettin at is now i have thoughts that she could of had her period. after i pulled out i didnt notice any blood but she went in a hury to the bathroom.

so if she was having her period the chanced of me having hiv have gone trmemdously up right??? its just that after four days im in bed with body pain and a horrible sor throat cant swollow.

your imput would help.

thanks

ag

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 08:58:30 am »
OK, your mind is playing some kind of "what if" detective game and that's not good for your health. It just stokes your anxiety and all to no conclusion or useful purpose. 

The bottom line in all of this is that you had a slight risk for transmission. You'll get tested at the appropriate time and my expectation remains that you're going to test negative.

Your symptoms? There's nothing, absolutely nothing HIV-specific about them. Discuss them with your doctor. A lot of what you have described sounds stress driven to me, but if it's always good to get a medical evaluation.

You have some waiting time until you can test reliably. Stay productively busy and you will be amazed at how much faster that time will pass. Really.

Andy Velez

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 03:12:52 pm »
Thank you again. I got worried because i remembered that detail.

Also, i was reading that if you do have symptoms they can start as early has a few days. I know you cant base it on symptoms but I am in bed and feeling sick throat and bosy aches. Is it true that they can start in a few days if there are symptoms???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 03:41:11 pm »
Give it up AGNY07, we don't talk, discuss symtoms on the forum. We'll talk about risk, testing, condoms and lube use.  NOT SYMPTOMS.

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 06:33:15 pm »
I understand. I am not lookig for you to tell me if it is. Since I am in bed and with a sore throat now with 100.3 fever all i wanted to know if it is possible to get ARS four days after the incident. If there was blood like a periord could that make me get it faster?

All I was wondering was that if it is posible to get ARS so fast in any ones case.

Thanks

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 09:08:22 am »
well i am desperate here. I had fever for about 5 hours and its gone all the hurts is my throat and body ache.

all i would like to know if this is consistent with ars? 4 days after exposure.....please......

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 09:26:33 am »
You ask if your symptoms are consistent with ARS... the problem is that for it to be "consistent" with ARS, ARS would have to be a very specific and defined set of symptoms and it is not.  ARS is different for everyone.  So you see nothing is "consistent" with ARS.

Not to mention we don't discuss symptoms on here. 
RIDE!!!

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 12:45:13 pm »
Testing question:

Well from what I see it is hard to say if I have ARS after 4 days. Even though today I have no fever just a head cold. Since I am sick already is it possible to take my test sooner.

I really just wanted to know if anyone has heard of someone getting simptoms 4 days later. If it is possible then I can take the test, right?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 12:47:16 pm »
You should test at 13 weeks past the exposure.  Anything other than that is not conclusive, so no, you need to wait to test.

6 weeks will give you a great indication.  Personally, i expect you to test negative.
RIDE!!!

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 08:07:55 pm »
Dont mean to get anyone upset and I am not looking for a diognisis. All I want to know is it possible to get ARS 4 days after risk?

PLease this is the last think I will ask until I get tested in 6 weeks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 08:33:11 pm »
NO

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 06:02:44 am »
AG,

If symptoms happen at all, it takes at least two weeks before they show up. Not everyone experiences symptoms and this is one of the reasons we do not concentrate on them - otherwise, a person with a real risk but no symptoms might decide not to test and that could spell trouble.

It sounds like you  have exactly what you called it - a headcold. The seasons are changing and seasonal change brings with it colds and flu.

Your risk is minimal, but you will be wise to test. A sexually active adult should be having routine sexual health care check ups at least once a year anyway.

Test at the appropriate time and expect a negative result - I am. But do test.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 10:41:20 am »
Thank you Ann. I really hope to get tested and have a negative resault. I am very scared. Like I said it is day 8 and I am still sick feeling week nausia and stuffed up like a cold with a soar throat. Once I am so tensed up about this and stressed the ming plays tricks on you and all I do is lookk back to try to remember in what moment I ewnt inside of her and I can't remember so that kills me.

Well I really hope all of you are right and I test negative.
Thanks again

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 10:53:59 am »
We are right and you will.
RIDE!!!

Offline AGNY07

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 02:44:06 pm »
Well tomarrow or latest on Monday I should get the resaults of my test. I am trembling. I really hope that with my situation that the resaults come back negative. Sooo nervouse.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.