Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:35:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 647
Total: 648

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help me tell a girl i slept with  (Read 10751 times)

Offline Vlad2022

Help me tell a girl i slept with
« on: February 13, 2023, 02:55:40 pm »
Hi, i was diagnosed 8 months ago when i observed enlarged lymph nodes and got tested
At that time there is a girl from my college i used to sleep with
But i stopped doing so since i knew my + status but i didn't tell her about my diagnosis

The thing is that she just told me she has swellings on the back of her head but she has no clue what it could be

I need your help
Wether i tell her to get tested or not knowing that sex and HIV in our community is taboo and a big shane
Also she is 19  and I'm not sure if she can handle this kind of news
So if you think i have to tell her i need a way that guarantee my status will not be exposed

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Help me tell a girl i slept with
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 03:58:23 pm »
I need a while to digest this post before replying to the topic.i might be the wrong person to respond to the situation you have created.

In the meantime, sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Are you getting treatment and if so how is treatment working out for you? What's your viral load currently? How are you feeling and doing otherwise?
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 04:47:18 pm »
So if you think i have to tell her i need a way that guarantee my status will not be exposed

Also she is 19  and I'm not sure if she can handle this kind of news

Yes, I think you should have told her so she can get tested and access treatment if indeed she is living with HIV.  The same can be said for anyone else you slept with, regardless if they have any symptoms or not.

Also, I am sure she will handle the news better than the alternative of not knowing and dying of AIDS in a few years after passing it on to others in the meantime.

If you can't tell her face to face, then prehaps you could send her a letter or note? Or, a more 21st-century version, buy a burner phone and send her a text message letting her know? or ask the clinic if they would "anonymously" inform her she should get tested.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 04:50:40 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 06:23:11 pm »
Hello,

First off, how are you dealing with your diagnosis?  Are you working with a doctor?  Taking your Rx?  You have any questions?  Never worry about asking us questions as we can talk about our experiences. 

But onto your question.  Part of that depends on where you live.  It appears that based on your initial message that once you found out that you stopped sleeping with her.  That is a good thing.  Now what to do now.

For me, I like in the USA so their are laws that state if I don't disclose my status going forward with my sexual partners I could be criminally charged.  There are some even more strict laws at the State level.  Other countries have similar laws so I always encourage you to search for your respective laws. 

Now to tell your previous partner that is such a hard question.  For me, I did not tell my prior partners but I did have a state nurse that came and seen me and I let her know of my partners.  She stated that the Health Department was going to contact them anonymously.   This may be your best bet if they come and talk to you.  At that point I wasn't mentally able to think of that.  Now a few that I was with prior now know and they have got checked but that was like 5 years later. 

Now if you aren't able to do that it never hurts to just tell her to see her doctor (as you care about her health) and she needs to get the swelling on the back of her checked.  You aren't saying anything other then meet up with her doctor. 

I do kind of like the thinking of Jim to get a burner phone but that is also a bit creepy just to get a text out of the blue like that.  Sometimes a subdle message is beneficial.  I am now more comfortable to post on my social media about getting a yearly STD/STI check and sometimes just seeing a post like that will get people to talk to their doctor about that the next time they are their.

On a side note, National STD Awareness Week is coming up in April.  Could be a good way to post it on your social media (if you do that) to help everyone to be aware and get checked.  Easy way to be somewhat direct and not at the same time.

Wishing you the best.

Kenneth
Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Online Tonny2

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 06:40:58 am »

ojo.               Hi there!!…I feel so bad for you, just found out you are pisitive and worrying about having expounded to the curus this girl. It tells me you are a good human being.

If I were you, talk to the nurses at your clinic to contact her, anonymously , they will be able to tell her that she was exposed to the virus. She has the right to know… please tell us more about you and you are not alone we are here for you. Hugs

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 08:53:15 am »
I do kind of like the thinking of Jim to get a burner phone but that is also a bit creepy just to get a text out of the blue like that.

;D That's me, a tad creepy but effective.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Vlad2022

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 03:55:23 pm »
Thanks y'all for your kindness
First of all i live in a middle Eastern-African country
Here sex for non married is forbidden by laws and by social &  religious beliefs
So i lied for clinic and said that i got infected by needle stick since I'm a medical student
It's hard for me to go back again and say that i had sex
And concerning my status
I started taking Dolutegravir, lamivudine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate tablets 50 mg 300 mg 300 mg
In one pill combination immediately after my diagnosis was confirmed
Although it's now 8 months on treatment i never did VL or CD4 test  cause the VL machine is broken
And for the CD4 count i have to travel to the capital of my country to get it done
But there is nothing to worry about
My health (Mental & physical) status is excellent

Now all want is to help this girl  get tested without telling her im positive

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 04:03:27 pm »
I'm a medical student

primum non nocere

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:05:52 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 04:16:13 pm »
The law, religion and social issues... Never stopped people fucking, and not to sound harsh, but you were both adults enough fuck about.

So time to inform her; if the clinic is not an option because you lied to them, then tell her face to face; you both broke the law, religion and social barriers already, so that ship has sailed, and if you can't bring yourself to do it, then do a note, a letter, an email over a new account with VPN to protect you or a text over a burner phone but tell her somehow.

I am not trying to sound harsh or uncaring, but you are a med student, and you should know more than anyone how important it is, and its been eight months already.

Count me out from this part of the topic in the future, as I clearly can't moderate this one and be posting in the thread.

My health (Mental & physical) status is excellent

Glad to hear it  :)

Dolutegravir, lamivudine and tenofovir disoproxil

TLD is a solid combination, and glad you have access to treatment.

Take it easy and wish you well. Best Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Vlad2022

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 04:56:54 pm »

So time to inform her; if the clinic is not an option because you lied to them, then tell her face to face; you both broke the law, religion and social barriers already, so that ship has sailed, and if you can't bring yourself to do it, then do a note, a letter, an email over a new account with VPN to protect you or a text over a burner phone but tell her somehow.

I'll try the burner phone method

Thanx Jim

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.