Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:36:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 665
Total: 667

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Always forgetting to take my meds..  (Read 10132 times)

Offline RicardoC

Always forgetting to take my meds..
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:19:23 am »
I have been living with HIV for over 15 years and during the past 4 to 5 years, I have been forgetting to take my meds. Not too sure why this is happening? Maybe is because of my hectic schedule at work, going to classes, and dealing with everyday life. The meds I'm taking are Viread (once a day) and Trixivir (twice a day) and have been taking them for more than five years. I'm weary changing my meds because of the fear of experiencing new side effects and possible fear of getting Lipodystrophy. So, any suggestion from my fellow friends in regards to taking my medication faithfully or other medication that might help and is it true, if your constantly change medication, the likelyhood of getting Lipdystrophy is high. Thanks ;D

Seadickrun

Re: Always forgetting to take my meds..
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:45:57 am »
My cheap cell phone lets me set alarms (which vibrate) and that is one way to remember. 

I take one Truvada/Viramune when I wake up and another Viramune when I go to bed.  And I have one of those handy 7 day pill holders so I can remember if I actually took them or not.  I'm getting older :)) and I can't always remember if I took the dang things today or was that yesterday?? So, I just look  in the compartment marked F (for Friday, today) and see what's left. 

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 12:00:57 pm »
I always find myself saying to my self did I take my medication already or not, and when I ask my partner, he says I took it 15 minutes ago, lol.  ???

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:48:02 pm »
Hello Ricardo,

Do you use a pill box? If not, you may want to get one . Fill it up once a week, it will be easier to keep track of your meds. They do work !

My problem( and I've missed meds a few times) is when I have them in my hand, and I lay them down. That's when I forget to take them.

Thats quite a regimen your on . 4 nukes ! I thought my 3 nukes was heavy.

Hope things work out for you, Can't be missing doses. Maybe a watch alarm , or as Seedick mentioned , a cell phone alarm/reminder.

I have also done that , where I've taken the meds, and wondered an hour or two later, whether, I took them or not. Drives me crazy at times. Then I just look in the pills box, to make sure they are not in there.

Take care---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline todd123

• "You don't ask, you don't know."
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 01:03:24 pm »
I also know that the "Prezista" website will send you email alerts.
I'm not sure if you necessarily have to prove you are on that particular drug to receive them.
That might help.  Especially at work.

I know the feeling.  I've missed a few times and it always makes me very anxious.

best,
Scott
Tested HIV+ July 28, 2008
CD4 16 VL over 400,000
Started Prezista/Norvir, Isentress and Intelence; Mepron
8/08   CD4 64    2%      VL 1500
9/08   CD4 135  6%      VL 371
11/08 CD4 104   9%     VL 156
12/08 CD4 161   9%     VL 400
01/09 CD4 109   7%     VL 351
02/09 CD4 218   8%     VL   98
03/09 CD4   80   5%     VL   98 at least that's the same
04/09 CD4 150   7%      VL 100
05/09 CD4 232   8%      VL   90

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 01:26:38 pm »
I have a blackberry.... so I set a "appointment" in my outlook calendar.  This creates a reminder on my desk computer and my phone.  They have to be cleared independently.  It basically pesters the hell out of me so I don't forget.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »
Another trick is to put the pills / pillbox next to something you will use each day, so you see them.  Me, I keep the pills in with my socks.  I take the morning pills when I get dressed and put the evening ones in my pocket so I'll have them no matter where I am at night.

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 06:34:04 pm »
I have been living with HIV for over 15 years and during the past 4 to 5 years, I have been forgetting to take my meds. Not too sure why this is happening? Maybe is because of my hectic schedule at work, going to classes, and dealing with everyday life. The meds I'm taking are Viread (once a day) and Trixivir (twice a day) and have been taking them for more than five years. I'm weary changing my meds because of the fear of experiencing new side effects and possible fear of getting Lipodystrophy. So, any suggestion from my fellow friends in regards to taking my medication faithfully or other medication that might help and is it true, if your constantly change medication, the likelyhood of getting Lipdystrophy is high. Thanks ;D

I would think the least of your worries would be lipo. How about treatment failure and resistance? Maybe you should bring up your adherence issues with your doctor and counselor?  Pill boxes are a marvelous and inexpensive tool to train yourself to take your medications faithfully.

Please don't let a serious illness and/or a long hospital stay wake you up to the reality of this disease.

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 10:29:16 pm »
Hello Ricardo,

Do you use a pill box? If not, you may want to get one . Fill it up once a week, it will be easier to keep track of your meds. They do work !

My problem( and I've missed meds a few times) is when I have them in my hand, and I lay them down. That's when I forget to take them.

Thats quite a regimen your on . 4 nukes ! I thought my 3 nukes was heavy.

Hope things work out for you, Can't be missing doses. Maybe a watch alarm , or as Seedick mentioned , a cell phone alarm/reminder.

I have also done that , where I've taken the meds, and wondered an hour or two later, whether, I took them or not. Drives me crazy at times. Then I just look in the pills box, to make sure they are not in there.

Take care---Ray

I'm puzzled by your comment, when you said, I have 4 nukes and you thought your 3 nukes was bad. please elaborate? Thanks

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:31:47 pm »
I would think the least of your worries would be lipo. How about treatment failure and resistance? Maybe you should bring up your adherence issues with your doctor and counselor?  Pill boxes are a marvelous and inexpensive tool to train yourself to take your medications faithfully.

Please don't let a serious illness and/or a long hospital stay wake you up to the reality of this disease.

I have tried the pill box, it does not work for me. Also, its weird in public opening a pill box and sometimes people looking at you. I do understand the fear of treatment failure and resistance, it has always been my fear, I just find it difficult to keep track of my medication on a timely manner.

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:33:06 pm »
I have a blackberry.... so I set a "appointment" in my outlook calendar.  This creates a reminder on my desk computer and my phone.  They have to be cleared independently.  It basically pesters the hell out of me so I don't forget.

I never thought of that and it sounds like a good idea. I'll let you know about it. Thanks man.

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »
My cheap cell phone lets me set alarms (which vibrate) and that is one way to remember. 

I take one Truvada/Viramune when I wake up and another Viramune when I go to bed.  And I have one of those handy 7 day pill holders so I can remember if I actually took them or not.  I'm getting older :)) and I can't always remember if I took the dang things today or was that yesterday?? So, I just look  in the compartment marked F (for Friday, today) and see what's left. 

Awesome idea! I never thought of that. Thanks, i'll let you know how it goes.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 12:55:50 am »
I would not be alive today if it weren't for the weekly pill boxes.   You fill it once a week, your meds are laid out.   No question as to whether you have taken them or not.  Maybe keep the pill box beside your bed?   That way you can't miss it....

good luck,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 01:54:56 am »
I'm puzzled by your comment, when you said, I have 4 nukes and you thought your 3 nukes was bad. please elaborate? Thanks
]

Hello Ricardo,

If I understood your post correctly, you said you were taking Trizivir, which is a combination of AZT, Epivir, and and Ziagen. These are all Nucleoside Reverse transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTI's) or "NUKES"

You also say your taking Viread, Which is another NRTI. For a total of 4 NRTI'S. I never heard of that regimen before. I was just wondering if you meant Viread to be Viramune instead.

Myself, I am on Epzicom (Combination of Ziagen and Epivir,) also two "NUKES",  Along with Viread, another Nuke. , for a total of 3 nukes. I also take Viramune which Is a Non-Nuke. 4 nuke regimen's, are not that common, I believe. Hope that clarifies my comment to you.
I was just curiious about your regemin.

Take care---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 10:16:19 am »
I would not be alive today if it weren't for the weekly pill boxes.   You fill it once a week, your meds are laid out.   No question as to whether you have taken them or not.  Maybe keep the pill box beside your bed?   That way you can't miss it....

good luck,

Alan

Excellent point

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 11:33:18 am »
I've never used pill boxes, post it notes, blackberry messages or cellphone alarms over the course of 15 years of pill taking, and mostly 20-30 pills per day.  Also, if you try these other recommendations in this thread and are still forgetting a substantial amount of doses I would seriously consider being screened by a mental health professional for depression -- studies have shown that there's a substantial correlation between adherence issues and depression in HIV patients on HAART.

btw, you're already on a lipo-ish combo if you're taking Trizivir.  If you've not already experienced any sunken cheeks then perhaps you're not as genetically inclined as others.

I also agree that being on a combo of 4 NRTI's is odd.  I'd ask my doctor why he selected that.  Trizivir, even by itself, is not listed as a "preferred" regimen by the US Dept. of Health guidelines for treatment naive patients.  The addition of Viread to an non-preferred medication seems a bit dubious.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 11:55:39 am »
Hey Ricardo

I use two pill boxes. One for my meds, one for my supplements. They work.

I managed to take Crixivan, unboosted, for 11 years. The only way I was able to do it was to use an alarm watch to remind me of the 3 p.m. dose (the doses had to be taken exactly eight hours apart), and an alarm clock in the living room to waken me should I fall asleep before the 11 p.m. dose.

You can do it, but you have to want to.

Philicia might have hit on something with the possible depression issue.

So, just curious, why are you on four nukes?

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Peacock

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 08:18:56 am »
I use a pillbox marked Monday to Sunday 'am' and 'pm'
I also use my wrist watch that had 3 alarm settings:
setting no. 1 wakes me up for work
setting no.2 reminds me to take my 'am' dose
setting no.3 reminds me to take my 'Pm' dose
and I dont have to reset the alarm because it resets itself..its a Casio.
sometimes I dont hear the alarm,because it only beeps for a minute then stops, and if the watch is in another room I might not hear it. Also, sometimes I do hear the alarm but ignore it because Im watching a good movie,and decide to wait until a advert break (inevitably I end up taking my tabs a few hours late)
My Casio wrist watch is my most prized possesion! (besides my doggies and hubby)

Peacock,Steve
Diagnosed 07/01/2002
Started Haart- 25/11/04 Cd4: 205 VL: 76'500
                      19/12/08 Cd4: 623 VL: UD
      26/03/12 Cd4: 497 Cd4%: 30.10 VL: UD
Combivir and Nevirapine(200mg) x1 of each-Am & pm
Not changed Meds since starting on HAART
Green Tea,Multivit,Selenium ACE,Folic acid,Vit C,Aciclovir 200mg 5x per day for 3 days-(ONLY when I have Shingles!)
100 percent adherence-with the help of a wristwatch!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 02:52:14 pm »
1) Pill box
2) some kind of alarm - cell phone or watch
3) ask yourself why, really, you forget, and if you'd rather get sick.
4) count your blessings that HAART is available, and don't forget to take it
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 10:33:26 am »
]

Hello Ricardo,

If I understood your post correctly, you said you were taking Trizivir, which is a combination of AZT, Epivir, and and Ziagen. These are all Nucleoside Reverse transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTI's) or "NUKES"

You also say your taking Viread, Which is another NRTI. For a total of 4 NRTI'S. I never heard of that regimen before. I was just wondering if you meant Viread to be Viramune instead.

Myself, I am on Epzicom (Combination of Ziagen and Epivir,) also two "NUKES",  Along with Viread, another Nuke. , for a total of 3 nukes. I also take Viramune which Is a Non-Nuke. 4 nuke regimen's, are not that common, I believe. Hope that clarifies my comment to you.
I was just curiious about your regemin.

Take care---Ray

You know something, I have been positive for over 15 years and really dont know much about HIV medication and feel really stupid and dumb to ask these questions.  So, now that you just mentioned that, is 4 nukes really that bad?

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 10:36:50 am »
I've never used pill boxes, post it notes, blackberry messages or cellphone alarms over the course of 15 years of pill taking, and mostly 20-30 pills per day.  Also, if you try these other recommendations in this thread and are still forgetting a substantial amount of doses I would seriously consider being screened by a mental health professional for depression -- studies have shown that there's a substantial correlation between adherence issues and depression in HIV patients on HAART.

btw, you're already on a lipo-ish combo if you're taking Trizivir.  If you've not already experienced any sunken cheeks then perhaps you're not as genetically inclined as others.

I also agree that being on a combo of 4 NRTI's is odd.  I'd ask my doctor why he selected that.  Trizivir, even by itself, is not listed as a "preferred" regimen by the US Dept. of Health guidelines for treatment naive patients.  The addition of Viread to an non-preferred medication seems a bit dubious.

Wow, now you have me nervous! Are you saying Trixivir may have the incredients to give you lipo? Currently, I do not have any sign of lip o and my worst fear is to get it. Please advise what you mean when you say certain drugs can give you lipo?

Thanks  :-\

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 10:40:44 am »
Hey Ricardo

I use two pill boxes. One for my meds, one for my supplements. They work.

I managed to take Crixivan, unboosted, for 11 years. The only way I was able to do it was to use an alarm watch to remind me of the 3 p.m. dose (the doses had to be taken exactly eight hours apart), and an alarm clock in the living room to waken me should I fall asleep before the 11 p.m. dose.

You can do it, but you have to want to.

Philicia might have hit on something with the possible depression issue.

So, just curious, why are you on four nukes?

HUGS,

Mark

JRE asked me the same question. I have been taking this regimen for over 5 years and for me it works because my t-cells jump at one point to over 900. Its usually around 600 to 750. I'm a bit confused and worried that everyone is asking me the same question. Should I be worry?

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 10:43:11 am »
1) Pill box
2) some kind of alarm - cell phone or watch
3) ask yourself why, really, you forget, and if you'd rather get sick.
4) count your blessings that HAART is available, and don't forget to take it

Sorry to sound stupid but, what does HAART mean? Excuse my ignorance.  ???

Offline David_CA

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 11:22:39 am »
Sorry to sound stupid but, what does HAART mean? Excuse my ignorance.  ???

Ricardo,

Please take this suggestion as I intended it (NOT to insult).  Check the section of this site on drug  www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml.  There are also a lot of lessons here (under the Treatment section in the gray bar near the top of the page) that explain a lot of what you're asking.  HAART = Highly Active AntiRetroviral Therapy. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 06:01:14 pm »
Wow, now you have me nervous! Are you saying Trixivir may have the incredients to give you lipo? Currently, I do not have any sign of lip o and my worst fear is to get it. Please advise what you mean when you say certain drugs can give you lipo?

Thanks  :-\

Read that link that David_NC just put up in this thread's last post.  Look up Trizivir and Viread, specifically the side effects section.  Doesn't mean you'll get any, but means you could.  Just seems strange for you to be so worried about the subject but then have no clue about the side effect of the stuff you've been on for years.

And still doesn't make sense to be on four meds from one class of HIV drugs.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 06:34:58 pm »
Hey Ricardo,

I have known a number of people on odd regimens, so yours is just another one.

The way I look at it, if its working, there is nothing to complain about.

The suggestion David made regarding checking out the drugs section of the lessons here is a good one.

They have nice, easy to read segments on all the currently available meds.

I always feel knowledge is power and, in the case of HIV treatment, we are still our best caretakers.

So, don't panic or start to fret over lipodystrophy. Instead, steel yourself with knowledge.

If you run across things you don't quite understand, then please feel free to post a question here.

There are no stupid questions. How else do you think we all learned the things we know? ;)

It has worked for me.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 09:19:57 pm »
try a call service
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 09:58:55 am »
Hey Ricardo,

I have known a number of people on odd regimens, so yours is just another one.

The way I look at it, if its working, there is nothing to complain about.

The suggestion David made regarding checking out the drugs section of the lessons here is a good one.

They have nice, easy to read segments on all the currently available meds.

I always feel knowledge is power and, in the case of HIV treatment, we are still our best caretakers.

So, don't panic or start to fret over lipodystrophy. Instead, steel yourself with knowledge.

If you run across things you don't quite understand, then please feel free to post a question here.

There are no stupid questions. How else do you think we all learned the things we know? ;)

It has worked for me.

HUGS,

Mark

Thats my point, My medication has been working for me. I'm undetectable for years since taking these medication and my t-cell is always between 650-750 and the last time it was over 900. I feel the medication that I'm taking (Viread and Trixivir) iand for now, its working.  I read the website AIDSMED.com and it was extremely useful and did read the side effects of my medications. I see that it has the possibility of getting Lipo but, I'm going to let it bother me and talk to my doctor on my next visit.

I just want to say that everyone who responded has given me great ideas on how I'm able to keep track of taking my medication on a timely manner. In addition, everyone has given me information that was useful.

Thank you sooooo much.

Mucho Carino
(Lots of Love)

Ricardo

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 10:03:34 am »
Ricardo,

Please take this suggestion as I intended it (NOT to insult).  Check the section of this site on drug  www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml.  There are also a lot of lessons here (under the Treatment section in the gray bar near the top of the page) that explain a lot of what you're asking.  HAART = Highly Active AntiRetroviral Therapy. 

David

I went to the website and did see the sideeffects of my medication. Again, I'm embarrased to say that I have been taking this medication for years and never knew that it may cause Lipo. Its good to know now and will discuss it more with my doctor.

Let me ask you something?

Do all medication treating HIV causes Lipo?

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 10:50:02 am »
Are you worried about Lipodystrophy because of stigma? what's the deal

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:32 am »
Are you worried about Lipodystrophy because of stigma? what's the deal

Personally, It will affect me tremendously. Not because of stigma but because of how it would make me feel.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 11:48:15 am »
Lipo involves more than just HIV meds -- studies have also shown a genetic propensity to get it among various racial groups, etc.

And I hate this "if it works don't break it" mentality that was more geared to HIV treatment 10 years ago when less drugs were on the market.  It's a very retrograde way of thinking.  If you suddenly develop lipo next month you'd regret no looking several years ago (lipo generally is a delayed effect, not an instant one, because it's a cellular dysfunction unlike, say, getting diarrhea) at the fact that you're on four NRTI's.

But hey, whatever floats your boat -- you've gone 15 years so far with nary a care in the world about knowing any of this stuff so...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.