Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 296
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 292
Total: 292

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Use PEP  (Read 10090 times)

Offline saimotli

Use PEP
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:39:02 pm »
I’m a man, live in Viet Nam and I had a no protected sex with a new female 3 month ago.
I’ve tested by method Abbot Determine HIV- 1/2  at 74 and 92 days after that, the result is negative. (test blood)
Do I  have to test again at 6 month? Can I trust the result of this method at 3 month?
Do I have to test again at this time with method Elisa or another method (except PCR or P24 becouse they not ready in my place)
Thank very much.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:42:43 pm by saimotli »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Can I trust the method Determine HIV- 1/2 of Abbot
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:48:11 pm »
Yes you can trust those test. You are conclusively negative. You do not need retest.

Offline saimotli

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:01:56 pm »
Thank RapidRod very much

But, I don’t understand why the Doctor in Viet Nam still ecommendation must to retest at 6 month, so I very worry. Although I know this Abbot method is inventes in USA, must according to ecommendation of CDD.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 11:07:25 pm »
He's going by the old guidelines on testing.

Offline saimotli

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:38:19 am »
any one give to me the document about any test HIV method so CDD can approve the result at 3 month.
Thank alot.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:49:55 am »
saimotli,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test postive by six WEEKS. The three month window period exists to catch the rare person a little longer than six WEEKS to test positive.

You are conclusively hiv negative.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline saimotli

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 10:05:42 pm »
Thank Ann very much.
And thank to everybody who read my topic

Now I’m sure to to be using condoms for all intercourse sex, up to I get married after tested for ALL STIs with my girl, I understood that Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

But the method HIV test in Vietnam is older than the method in US, the consultativetif doctor of this lab talk to me that he don’t truss the result at 3 month, he is only sure the result at 6 month, that why so I very worry. I want to test with PCR or P24 method but two of they not ready in my place. What can I do now?

I want to know the result at 3 month of Abbot’s method Determine HIV- ½ can be approved to use in US by FDA or another healthy organization. Because I saw the time for this test is about 20 ~ 30 minitutes, meanwhile the time of Elisa method is about 3 ~ 5 hours and PCR is about 7 ~ 9 days, why that?

Thank you very much again
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:08:57 pm by saimotli »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 04:21:00 am »
saimotli,

The reason the window period used to be six months was because we knew less about the virus than we do now. It's not because the antibody tests themselves have changed much.

Now days, we know that the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS. We know this through years of experience, experience that we didn't have in the early days of the pandemic when it was recommended that people test out to six months. The window period is currently at three months simply to catch the rare person who takes a little longer than six weeks to produce enough antibodies to test positive.

Abbott is a well-known, reputable pharmaceutical company. Their hiv tests are FDA approved.

You are conclusively hiv negative. You can now move on with your life, making sure you always use condoms until you're in a securely monogamous relationship where you've tested together.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline saimotli

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 05:06:50 am »
Thank Ann very much,

You made me to belive in my result HIV test. Now I can move on my life without the worriment

I’ll always remember your instructions!

I wish you every success and have good health.

Thankyou very much again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 05:40:38 am »
saimotli,

You're welcome. The best thanks would be to know that you will read the condom links in my signature line and make sure you always use them correctly and consistently. You staying hiv negative is all the thanks I need.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline saimotli

Use PEP
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 11:29:18 am »
I Heve a question for my firend becouse he can not speak English.

13 weeks ago he had unprotect sex which a woman who have HIV, about 48 hours after, my firend known this information.
He used PEP about 60h after that. (Lamzidivir)

Now he’ve just tested HIV by ELISA and Abbott Determine method, the results are negative.
Does he need retest again?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Use PEP
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 01:36:04 pm »
saimotli,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Your friend needs to test three months after his last dose of PEP. I would not expect his negative result to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline saimotli

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 09:44:56 pm »
Ann

I’m sorry becouse I didn’t read clear our Welcome Thread;
My friend and me show deep gratitude to you, and we’ll be sure to remember use the condom when heve sex.

Offline saimotli

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 11:22:36 am »
Dear Ann and all

My friend continous test 2nd by Abbott Determine HIV-1/2 method;

80 days after his last dose of PEP (112 days after he had unprotect sex); the results are continous negative.

Does he need retest again?

I talk to him retest again at 3 month after his last dose of PEP but now he want to avoid testing because he is worried about the possibility of a positive test result

Thank and wait your reply!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 01:20:09 pm »
The likelihood that your friend would test positive after having tested negative at over 11 weeks is extremely remote.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. So I would say he's in the clear. After having gone through this concern and doing PEP, it doesn't make sense to not go the last step and get tested for a fnal negative at 13 weeks. I certainly would expect him to continue to test negative but only a test can give the answer for sure.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.