Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:03:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 651
Total: 651

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A New Start  (Read 10191 times)

Offline JCS19

• Standard
A New Start
« on: June 11, 2021, 12:14:10 am »
A diagnosis of HIV can be devastating; and it brings with it a mix of thoughts and emotions that turn the mind and the heart inside out. Yet in light of one's diagnosis, the human desire to be cherished, loved and supported cannot be extinguished. They are an intrinsic part of being human.

Every person has a desire to experience life’s goodness, with all of its joys and personal accomplishments, shared among family and friends. HIV does not (and should not) have the ability to deprive anyone of these things.

For many, the COVID-19 pandemic has been a time of reflection and prioritizing the things that matter. It has been a period of adjustment and change, so let it be for the better.

HIV is tricky and can have an overwhelming impact one’s mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. My hope for someone receiving an HIV diagnosis is that they see it as a starting point, not an end point. It has certainly been the start to an important chapter for me.

The joys, successes and happiness of life await each of us, so let us all embrace them!

Written by James C.

Offline JCS19

• Standard
Re: A New Start
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 06:16:52 pm »
A diagnosis of HIV can be devastating; and it brings with it a mix of thoughts and emotions that turn the mind and the heart inside out. Yet in light of one's diagnosis, the human desire to be cherished, loved and supported cannot be extinguished. They are an intrinsic part of being human.

Every person has a desire to experience life’s goodness, with all of its joys and personal accomplishments, shared among family and friends. HIV does not (and should not) have the ability to deprive anyone of these things.

For many, the COVID-19 pandemic has been a time of reflection and prioritizing the things that matter. It has been a period of adjustment and change, so let it be for the better.

HIV is tricky and can have an overwhelming impact one’s mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. My hope for someone receiving an HIV diagnosis is that they see it as a starting point, not an end point. It has certainly been the start to an important chapter for me.

The joys, successes and happiness of life await each of us, so let us all embrace them!

Written by James Cotromanes

Offline JCS19

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 06:19:45 pm »

Home
Basics
Basics
Introduction
HIV Transmission and Risks
HIV Testing
HIV Prevention
Newly Diagnosed
Starting HIV Treatment
HIV Medications
HIV Drug Assistance Programs
HIV and Liver Disease
VIH/SIDA en Español
News
News
Newsfeed
Science News
Features
Opinions
Conferences
Slideshows
Videos
POZ at Home
POZ TV
POZ Stories
POZ 100
By Author
RSS Links
Hot Topics
Hot Topics
POZ Awards
POZ at 25
POZ 100
Advocacy
COVID-19
Criminalization
Cure
Long-Term Survivors
Newly Diagnosed
PrEP
Prevention
Undetectable (U=U)
Youth
Magazine
Magazine
Current Issue
Archives
Digital Editions
POZ Focus
POZ en Español
Subscriptions
Email Newsletters
Blogs
Blogs
Recent Posts
Browse Bloggers
RSS Links
Community
Community
POZ Personals
POZ Stories
POZ 100
Community
AIDS Is Everyday
Forums
Polls
Surveys
Quizzes
Ask POZ
Services Directory
Calendar
Jobs
Bookstore
About Us
About Us
About Us
Masthead
Awards
Press Releases
Advertise
Contact Us
 Facebook
 Twitter
© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved. Terms of use and Your privacy. Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.

Advertisement

Thinkstock
POZ STORIES
A New Chapter
An HIV diagnosis doesn’t mean it’s the end of your story.

December 15, 2020
By James C.

Advertisement

James C.

Positive since 2007

When you are first diagnosed, it feels like you have been given a life sentence. You feel isolated and alone. You are left within the whirlwind of your thoughts and emotions. It is a mental and emotional roller coaster of coming to terms with the new reality that you have HIV.

Though it can be seen as a life sentence in terms of it being a lifelong medical condition, you remain free. This is one of many chapters in your life, with much of the journey—and its conclusion—still to be written. It is a new chapter and a new beginning—of self-awareness, individual purpose and happiness.

Living with this chronic condition undoubtedly has its calm waters and turbulent storms, but it doesn’t define who you are. On your journey through life, you have the power to chart your course. That being said, turn living with HIV from a perceived weakness into a strength.

Recognize HIV for what it is, but also have the realization that it has brought forth positive change in your life. I know this to be true because I too am HIV positive. With one step at a time forward, let us enjoy this journey together.

Offline JCS19

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 06:25:02 pm »

When you are first diagnosed, it feels like you have been given a life sentence. You feel isolated and alone. You are left within the whirlwind of your thoughts and emotions. It is a mental and emotional roller coaster of coming to terms with the new reality that you have HIV.

Though it can be seen as a life sentence in terms of it being a lifelong medical condition, you remain free. This is one of many chapters in your life, with much of the journey—and its conclusion—still to be written. It is a new chapter and a new beginning—of self-awareness, individual purpose and happiness.

Living with this chronic condition undoubtedly has its calm waters and turbulent storms, but it doesn’t define who you are. On your journey through life, you have the power to chart your course. That being said, turn living with HIV from a perceived weakness into a strength.

Recognize HIV for what it is, but also have the realization that it has brought forth positive change in your life. I know this to be true because I too am HIV positive. With one step at a time forward, let us enjoy this journey together.

PozChilean

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 06:55:21 pm »
Hi James:

Thank you for joining us. Before you continue posting, please don't forget to create a new topic introducing yourself (you can see plenty of previous examples in the "Living with HIV" section; that's standard practice for all new members.

Offline JCS19

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 03:13:19 pm »

Offline JCS19

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 03:14:45 pm »

Offline JCS19

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 03:16:47 pm »

Offline JCS19

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 03:18:45 pm »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 04:29:31 pm »
@James

Posting this once was more than enough. The mod removed & merged a number of duplicates and kindly requested you open an introduction thread. Today I had to do the same.

We have had two complaints about this already and I'm not going to keep cleaning up after you. So if you ignore the request from the moderator (PozChilean) once more to open an introduction thread or open another duplicate topic it's going to lead to a time out (ban) from the forum.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:45:09 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline JCS19

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 07:32:19 am »

Offline JCS19

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 07:34:23 am »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 07:34:30 am »
@JCS19

10 similar posts in multiple threads and ignoring requests & warnings = 7-day ban.

Prehaps you are someone who is newly diagnosed and struggling to digest your diagnosis, if so we are here to help but open an introduction thread in the "I just tested POZ" section and introduce yourself to the forum members. Let us know how are you doing, how the treatment is going etc.

Regarding your posts so far, they seem to be largely a copy-paste from these sources:

https://www.poz.com/article/new-chapter
https://www.positiveeffect.org/stories/james-c

@James

Posting this once was more than enough. The mod removed & merged a number of duplicates and kindly requested you open an introduction thread. Today I had to do the same.

We have had two complaints about this already and I'm not going to keep cleaning up after you. So if you ignore the request from the moderator (PozChilean) once more to open an introduction thread or open another duplicate topic it's going to lead to a time out (ban) from the forum.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:43:46 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 03:13:29 am »
So much useless spam.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 02:11:49 pm »
I had warned through PM previously, so I removed the final post from today, and the OP was banned.

@OP Not sure what the story is, but I hope you have access to any mental and emotional support you need. 

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 02:16:24 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.