Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Early blip a concern?

<< < (2/2)

texashouston1:
Thank you everyone.

leatherman:

--- Quote ---I felt like a yo-yo

--- End quote ---
this is a really interesting comment. Many people (if not most) seem to think that our body functions work in straight-line functions. In our situation that would be thinking that the viral load goes straight down to zero, with no blips back up; or CD4s going straight up from 200 to 1000 with no dips. That is not how bodies work. All day long, your blood pressure, temperature, cd4 and 1000s of other functions jump around. You could take 20 tests in a day and get 20 answers.

Taking meds don't even work in a straight-line function. An antibiotic doesn't immediately wipe out all the bacteria. It can take a week or more of antibiotics to completely do the job. ARVs don't immediately kill off HIV. ARVs simply stop viral replication of some of the free-floating virus. As time goes by, there is less and less virus, and so the med efficiency actually gets better as there are more meds in your body and less HIV.

a few other notes of interest to mention:
successful HIV treatment as defined in scientific studies as a viral load of <200. The word "undetectable" is not an accurate medical term. While there is test an expensive test that can accurately count down to a VL of 2, the average test these days counts to 20, labeling that as "undetectable" or "not detected". A micro-blip of cd4 count less than 200 means absolutely nothing to your health or effectiveness of the meds.

a single test with any size blip (25 to 5 million), especially when someone has remained adherent, means little by itself. Since our body functions are so variable, some results (like cd4 and VL) need to be viewed as the result of at least 3 tests over at least 3 months time. For example, viral load counts of UD, 250, UD graph out basically as a straight line of no change. Another example, a VL of 250k, 10k, 20k, 200, UD graphs out to a downward trend, even with that blip of 10 to 20k.

Unfortunately, HIV is never completely eradicated by the meds, and some latent HIV remains in reservoirs in our bodies. (that's why we have to keep taking meds for our lifetime) At any time, some of this HIV could become active and register if you are tested at that moment. this could easily result in a small "blip" that doesn't mean med failure.

--- Quote from: Mightysure on May 12, 2021, 10:41:34 pm ---Back in 2014 when I was diagnosed, 50 was the cut off for UD.

--- End quote ---
in 1992 (when I was diagnosed) there wasn't a viral load test. By 1996 (when I was first hospitalized with AIDS and PCP), a test had been developed that could count only as low at 10k. by 1998 (when I was hospitalized a second time with PCP), a viral load of 500 or less was considered successful treatment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version