Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Just tested positive and working though complicated emotions TLDR

<< < (2/3) > >>

Seigmeyer-of-Catarina:
Yeah, I feel like as each day goes by I do feel remarkably better about the whole thing, surprisingly. Something kind of clicked yesterday, and I can't control that I have it, but I do have control over treatment and taking care of my body. As hard as it was initially to see any good, I'm trying to visualize ways this diagnosis can make me a better person, and I think that's the healthiest approach mentally. As odd as it sounds, I think there can be some good to come out of this.

Just to update, I got all my test results finally today, and my next appointment isn't until march 25th, so if anyone is able to, I'd love to try and understand what the results mean. My viral load is 140,000 copies/mL so my only question would pertain to how quickly I could get to undetectable if that's possible to answer. My CD4 percentage is 28% and considered low according to my lab. My CD4 absolute is 958/cmm and had no comment on the lab results. I'm not really sure if these results are pretty standard, good, or indicate that I still have a lot of work to do. I'm fine with whatever they mean as I'm on day 3 with the Biktarvy with no side effects, and I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. Either way I know I'll get where I need to be eventually.

TexasDragon:
Agreed. I think I am healthier now than before I was diagnosed. I pay more attention to everything.

Look at my stats in my signature line. In one month on Biktarvy, I went from 318,000 to less than 100 and doubled my CD4. I felt like I had a mild flu before starting Biktarvy and within 3 or 4 days I felt great.

It works well. And it starts working day 1.

Make a plan. Stick to the plan. And your plan should be for a long, happy, healthy life.

Seigmeyer-of-Catarina:
Hell yeah that's good to hear. It could be placebo, but I have absolutely had an increase in energy.

I think only other concerning result involved my liver enzymes ALT and ADL, which were fairly elevated. The hepatitis test was non-reactive, which is great news, so I'm kind of assuming its from my past binge drinking. I'm currently working on sobriety which I started prior to my diagnosis, so I'm more motivated than ever to stick with it. I haven't had a drink in 2 weeks or a cigarette in 10 days so we'll see if those enzymes go down on my next lab in march.

Jim Allen:

--- Quote from: Seigmeyer-of-Catarina on February 14, 2021, 07:55:11 pm ---Just to update, I got all my test results finally today, and my next appointment isn't until march 25th, so if anyone is able to, I'd love to try and understand what the results mean. My viral load is 140,000 copies/mL so my only question would pertain to how quickly I could get to undetectable if that's possible to answer. My CD4 percentage is 28% and considered low according to my lab. My CD4 absolute is 958/cmm and had no comment on the lab results. I'm not really sure if these results are pretty standard, good, or indicate that I still have a lot of work to do. I'm fine with whatever they mean as I'm on day 3 with the Biktarvy with no side effects, and I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. Either way I know I'll get where I need to be eventually.

--- End quote ---

How long it will take to suppress the virus varies per person, sometimes it takes a few weeks, with others it can take 6+ months. However, you should start to see the VL decreasing by your next appointment.

Your CD4 count is fine and, the % is okay. Around 40% would be the average for an HIV negative person, below 14% would be considered extremely low, AIDS. That said the CD4's are not very relevant going forward as they are above any danger zone and you can't do anything to change them directly. More important is that you have started treatment to suppress the virus.

Best, Jim.

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/understanding-lab-work-blood-tests

ajay1980:
Virtual hug! Telling your mom will be tough.   Probably more so for you to get the words out!  I struggled for 2 weeks to tell my parents.   People told me you don't have to, but for me and that relationship,  I needed to.  The one thing I wanted to prepare myself for was making sure I was armed w the knowledge that I would be ok. That this is a different time and people are living long lives. Sometimes parents surprise us and mom may just want you to be ok, so be prepared to share your treatment plan, #s, etc.  She may need time,  but part of me being ok was letting my parents know, no matter how they reacted.  You got this!! We are here for ya!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version