Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:00:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: JUST TESTED POSITIVE 2 WEEKS AGO  (Read 10377 times)

Offline cityboy

JUST TESTED POSITIVE 2 WEEKS AGO
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:24:08 pm »
I have just found out that I was positive. (I believe I was infected 10/06.) The first couple of days I did nothing but cry and was suicidal. I was told to see an ID doc.  He told me I probably wouldn't need meds for 3-7 years.  When I got the results, I was cd4:258 and viral load 90,000.  They gave me a pcp penemonia shot right away. I am now being told I should be on meds within 6 months.  I am so scared to take meds..just read about sustiva and mental health and burst into tears and feel terrified now.   I did not do drugs, smoke or any ill stuff like that for close to 10 years, have a good diet, sleep good.  I have always had Thalessemia minor (mediterranean anemia) otherise always healthy.  I was also told that I had Hepatitis B and fought it off because the test said I am immune to it now.  I don't know what to do.  I don't know if my numbers will improve without meds, but I am terrified to take them because of the side effects.  I have a job with a lot of responsibility and will be going into a busy period shortly and I will have to be at full speed, I can't be zoning out. 

They are saying these combinations are the choices 1) Atripla  2) Reyataz,Norvor and Epelcon or Truvada  3) Lexiva, Norvir and Epelcon or Truvada.  (May have spelled wrong)

I just don't know how as a total top I could have gotten infected.  There was just one time the condom broke..

I would be so grateful for advice.  Up until this nightmare came into my life, my  life was so blessed and amazing, now it feels like all my happiness leaves a little more every day.  I don't understand what there will be to live for.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: JUST TESTED POSITIVE 2 WEEKS AGO
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:37:58 pm »
Boy,

Take a deep deep breath sweetheart. This is gonna be OK.

First up welcome to the Forums. Welcoming a new member is always a bittersweet thing. I'm sorry you had to join us, but I'm also glad that you found your way here.

As for advice, my first and main piece of advice would be that you take the time to read our Lessons for the newly diagnosed which cover the various tests and treatment options you have. If you have any questions from these don't hesitate to post here or in our Living With forums.

Secondly, work closely with your doctor. HIV is a two way deal and your relationship with your medical team should be seen as a partnership that includes you as an equal member.

Thirdly, don't freak about those current numbers. Your still early in your infection and it can take up to 18 months for your numbers to settle into a reasonable pattern.

Fondly,

MtD

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:56:29 pm »
Hi, welcome to the forums. I would only say that you should try to calm down and relax, you know there are lot of people who have been in meds for over 20 years. It is not an easy path, but if they could handle it you can do it too. Check up the lessons section of the site and talk to your dr about your fears and concerns. You still have time to eliminate the fear and see the great chances meds can offer you to live a good life, just go slowly and be optimistic.

Cheers!

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline Mike2008

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 10:19:55 am »
Hi City Boy

I was diagnosed in April and last night was my third time taking Atripla.  I was so worried about side effects, but ugh,............ WHAT SIDE EFFECTS???   The first day I felt a little dizziness but that was it and today I feel totally normal.

So, everyone is different and you may very well not experience any side effects, or you may have to change meds, but there are 22 different meds and some combination WILL work for you.

Looking back over the worrying I have done since April was a total waste of time and energy.  Oh well.  I should have listened to my friends who told me it would be okay - They were right.

Take care City Boy glad you found you found here.
Mike
4-27-07  cd4 490  vl 1857
6-28-07  cd4 418  vl 993
started Atripla 9-17-07
10-9-07  cd4 502  vl,<75
1-15-08   cd4 473 vl< 75
blood platlets 31-26-79-20 -0-63-109

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:17:55 pm »
Hey listen it DOES GET BETTER.  just relax and realize that you're going to be here for a long time, so you might as well start being good to yourself in every way.  Also, JOIN A SUPPORT GROUP!  GMHC's newly diagnosed group saved my life and now I have friends that I talk to virtually every day and enrich my life.  Also, your numbers aren't that bad and they always jump around at the beginning.  You might have to start meds soon, but so what?  My boyfriend and I both started within a couple months of being diagnosed and litleraly have no side effects - ok a few runs at the beginning, but that's totally normal now.  Doesn't affect my work or anything else.  Also, we are both taking one of the options your doc told you about (me - reyataz/norvir/truvada, him- Lexiva/norvir/epzicom.  I did take sustiva briefly and had a pretty hard time with it, so if that happens to you you can always switch, but many people don't.  The meds work, period. 
You've come to the right place and you will be here for many happy, healthy years!

by the way, one of my friends from the group is also a total top, so you're not alone or somehow singled out in that. 
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline comino

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:11:43 pm »
I just want to give you a hug and tell you it's all going to be o.k.   You will soldier on, sometimes the side effects suck I won't lie, but most of the time it's no big thang.  ;D Make sure you eat healthy, drink your water and get in tune with your body.  Soon you'll be able to keep yourself on the "right" track.     When I was first diagnosed I realized that I had a choice, a choice you my friend have to make now, become a victim of this thing or own it and fight it every step of the way.   If you ask me we owe it to the ones that fought this before meds to do whatever we can to LIVE to the fullest.  I just found the forum and I can tell you that with the wealth of information here & the support that is so freely offered you won't be lacking for truth & comfort.  XO

Mauricio

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 07:17:28 pm »
Cityboy,

first of all, a very warm welcome to you. I am happy you found this place so quickly after your diagnosis, because it is full of people who've been there before you. Of people who care, and share. Ask questions, vent, cry, there will most probably always be someone here to listen and connect with you.

As others said, things will get better with time. The feeling of being permanently overwhelmed will go, at a pace that is your own. You can help by informing yourself, getting a good doctor and trying to slow down whenever panic sets in. Slow down and breathe.

take care

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline juan3

• I like getting WET!
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 07:58:33 pm »
Hi City Boy name is Juan in Orlando Fl. I give you a thumbs UP because you did the right thing to talk about it!

I will be very honset with you, I believe we all go though a period and say what do I have to live for! It hit me very hard because I didn't have anyone to talk to. The few people that I thought would stand by me didn't when they found out (Because I told them) about my HIV left my side for good! I came to this site and didn't join right away just started looking and reading what others had to say.

And I will tell you that if it wasn't for this site I really don't know if I would be around today. We or I should say I reached a point and I was tired of everything. I'm not the most religious person but I believe and because of that I'm around today. I'm telling you the truth Its not going to be easy and yes you may start feeling bad when you start taking the meds, but it will pass, and ALL OF US WILL HELP YOU GET THROUGH IT!!!!!!!! you are not alone remember that!!! I am on Atripla and thank GOD it hasn't been bad a little gas and alot of bolating. No bad dreams and no rash. A little pain in the stomach not a stomach ace but a Hmmmmm don't really know what it is, but it bugs the heck out of me.

Be POSITIVE because that is most of your treatment you may get very tired taking the Atripla because I did. Very tired and I made myself get up and do things, and I can say that its getting better each day.

Just do me a favor, Don't give up!!!!! you will get passed it  :)
Juan Enrique

Be True to yourself and to others.

Offline Javicho

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:26:16 pm »
Welcome Cityboy, as you can see we all understand the way you feel we all have those concerns at once, but yeah we also are different and some people don't need any meds for a long time and some like me are on meds since day one, thank God I have no side effects at all and till today my numbers are good, so please relax and expres all your concerns and questions you will find a very well knowledge people here there also are very friendly. I hope you keep coming back to the forum

J

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 02:38:12 am »
cityboy,

I agree with everyones post here. Initially it is very scary. Thankfully though there are all types of treatments out here now.  You will be fine

Offline cityboy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 09:01:10 pm »
Hey thank you to all you guys, I have started taking meds and it went smoothly.  Just trying to stay focused.  Some of your replies really touched my heart.  I am just trying to get through this one day at a time.   

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 09:49:40 am »
One day at a time is a good plan, City Boy. You've already made it through another two weeks plus since you found your way here. Gradually HIV is going to be a part of your life but by no means the perhaps still overwhelming reality it seems to be right now.

You're always welcome here to ask questions and to talk about anything that's on your mind.

Both here and elsewhere I urge you to stay connected with others. Isolation is a corrossive state of mind that is all-too-easy to fall into. You're going to learn a lot in the coming weeks and months and you may find yourself being surprised how helpful you can be to others.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.