Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 417
Total: 419

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First morning after Atripla  (Read 4729 times)

Offline thatpaulieguy

• Just an average guy
    • My Blog
First morning after Atripla
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:21:47 pm »
Hey all, so after my cd4 going down to 330 and 9%.  I have been put on atripla, I just had it last night at midnight and I was told horror stories about it but I feel fine, a bit groggy this morning but no real side effects to call home about.  Is it unusual to get no side effects?
“Stop being tormented by everyone else’s reaction to you.” - Joyce Meyer

Offline pioneer II

Re: First morning after Atripla
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:59:07 am »
Not usual but not impossible. I am on a totally different regimen (kaletra + combivir) and I had some side effects only in the first few days. Besides a little dizziness once in a while, I felt much better overall from dose 1. It's different from person to person.

Relax and enjoy! You'll be fine.
Life is rough with or without hiv. Enjoy it likewise.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:28:08 am »
Not usual but not impossible.
I disagree. I think its fairly common for people to have very slight or no side effects from HAART.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:35:07 am »
Hi there,
I sure wish you luck and all goes well.  I will honestly say it took a few days for any side effects to show up.  I didn't really have any bad side effects at first except warm, feverish feeling, but never got the rash.  I'm sure you will do just fine.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline darryaz

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 12:27:44 pm »
I don't think problems with Atripla are as widespread as one might believe from reading this forum.  Keep in mind that if people have problems - they post about them. 

The MANY people who aren't having any problems don't bother to post anything about Atripla because it's a non-issue for them. 

There are a few slightly annoying Atripla side effects that pop up during the first few weeks you're taking it.  But they don't affect everyone and they usually go away in a couple of months.

Offline thatpaulieguy

• Just an average guy
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 02:06:20 am »
So second day nothing at all really except for around the 12 hours later mark I get really grumpy and angry, is that normal?

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 03:49:02 am »
You have to be patient and see if any patterns develop or not. A day of grumpiness could mean anything.
Maybe you are anxious about the "sustiva crazies".  Thats where some people who take sustiva (which is in atripla) report feeling depressed, or angry, or hostile, or some sort of emotional state. 
I would say you'd have to be on the drugs a few weeks to see if you could be having such a side effect. But you could already keep track by noting your observations on paper and then sharing them with your doc when you do notice a pattern.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline thatpaulieguy

• Just an average guy
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 04:06:04 am »
Okies I will do for sure I guess I am just being a bit paranoid haha thanks :D

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 04:13:59 am »
Well, I don't think you are paranoid.
The sustiva crazies are a real thing.  Unfortunately some doctors are not so aware of this.  And there are even doctors who are aware of it but still resist reports from their patients....  Basically if there is any history of depression or anxiety in a patient, he/she isn't the greatest candidate for Atripla.  Doesn't mean the side effect is guaranteed to happen. 

Also Lots of doctors favor Atripla cause its well known, been around awhile, proven to be a great combo, etc etc. 

Did you have any discussion and or input into what combo you got, as your first??

Offline thatpaulieguy

• Just an average guy
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 04:50:19 am »
No my doctor said that I should just make sure to see my councilor more often just in case, as i do have a history of depression and anxiety.  He decided pretty much everything else.

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 05:08:50 am »
Well then, with all due respect, and sorry to add fuel to the fire... But that advice sounds poor - see your counselor more often....  Because the decision sounds poor - putting you on Atripla knowing your history...
Because its sounds like one kind of doctor I described - those who know Atripla isn't great for some people, but going forward anyway.  He even anticipated the possibility of this problem.........

Well, the milk is spilt... Keep a daily journal and discuss with your counselor and your doc, if you notice a character change that continues..
And if it does (hope it doesn't, by the way!!) and the doc still resists --- tell him to change your combo, or you will change docs....   

Jeez.  Its frustrating because here in the forum we know this scenario pretty well.....

Offline thatpaulieguy

• Just an average guy
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 06:49:08 am »
I think he was trying to go easy on me but he is not very helpful sometimes at all.  I am actually considering changing doctors. 

I will do that it is a good idea thanks!

Offline darryaz

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 11:51:35 am »
To qualify (or perhaps nullify) my previous comment......

Paulie, now that I know you are prone to the conditions mentioned then I agree with Mecch.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.