Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:04:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 586
Total: 588

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worried and Scared  (Read 2626 times)

Offline NeedAdvice55

Worried and Scared
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

I know the only way to find out if I'm HIV+ is to get a blood test, but I've been experiencing symptoms on and off for about 2 months now and so I'm very scared.  I've been to the Dr 3x and they haven't been much help and haven't provided much guidance.  Any advice, comfort or guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

On 9/24, I had unprotected sex 2x with a female I met while on vacation.  We were in the pool and, long story short, she grabbed my penis and put it into her vagina.  After about a minute, I started to get worried and pulled out.  About 10 minutes later, I was back inside of her.  I started to get scared again after 1 or 2 minutes, pulled out and immediately left the pool area.  I was very drunk and regret that day very much.

On 9/25, I got home and went for a run that night.  During/after the run my body was burning, but overall I felt fine.

On 9/26, I felt chills in my legs/arms in the morning, but felt totally fine that evening.

On 9/27, I went out drinking (a lot) with coworkers and, on 9/28, began to feel chills from my inner thighs going down to my feet.  That evening, my legs would intermittently go from chills to burning.  I believe I even felt burning in my genital area.

I felt weak/sick for a few days, but then by 10/4 I was feeling all normal again.  On 10/7, I went out with a coworker, drank a lot and the next day I felt very weak, starting to feel chills in my inner thighs again and began to have blurred/tunnel vision.

From 10/7 until yesterday, I have at all times had some form of blurred/tunnel vision, chills in my legs and a weakness (i.e., difficulty waking up in the morning, more tired than usual after an 10-12 hour work day, less than 100% energy while doing cardio (strength when weightlifting seems unaffected)).  Recently I've noticed that my hands have been feeling numb as well.

These past 7 days, I drank about 4x, each time about 4 drinks.  Today, after lunch my legs and neck started to feel very hot.  A couple of hours later I began to feel very weak and now my arms and other parts of my body are burning as well.  I'm noticing that my visual symptoms have gotten worse as well.

As I'm sure you can tell from this post, I drink a lot.  I've noticed that my symptoms tend to get worse when I drink (even just 1) and are reduced when I don't (but they haven't at any time completely gone away).  The burning while doing cardio has been pretty consistent.  I haven't during any of this time had fever, rashes, thrush, etc.  As I mentioned above, I've been to the Dr 3x and the only tangible pieces of advice I've received are don't drink and get HIV tested in a few months.  Oh, I also reached out to the girl I had sex with.  Short version: she was tested after she broke up with her ex on 7/1 and was completely clean, but the reason she broke up with him is because she felt he wasn't faithful (very scary).

I have tons of questions, but I guess I'll start with this one: do these symptoms sound like they are HIV-related?  Should I see another Dr?  I'm so scared that I've been neglecting seeing the Doctor despite the continuation of my symptoms, but should I go back/see another one?

Sorry for the long post....

Offline RapidRod

Re: Worried and Scared
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:03:56 pm »
No. If one has ARS symptoms they come 2-4 weeks post exposure and last from 1-2 weeks. Symptoms or the lack of symptoms will never tell you your status.  Your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:08:37 pm »
Let's keep this as simple as possible. First of all, there is nothing HIV specific about any of your symptoms. And in general neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test can do that accurately.

Now, the average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure. So you can actually test now. If you test negative then the likelihood is that you will continue to test negative conclusively when you re-test at 3 months.

Meantime if your symptoms persist I suggest you discuss them with your doctor. Also, mixing excessive drinking with casual sex is never a good idea because as you can testify it clouds your ability to make good decisions.

If you have a drinking problem then I suggest you get help with that either professionally or with the many programs designed to deal with that. We cannot address that in this setting.

HIV is a fragile virus and it is significantly harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around. So that is in your favor. Good luck with your testing. And learn from this experience. You must always wear a condom for vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions. Those are the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV. i
Andy Velez

Offline NeedAdvice55

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
Thank you Andy RapidRod for your responses.  When you say there is nothing HIV specific about my symptoms, does that mean they don't sound like symptoms of HIV?  Also, given that they started within 2 weeks of exposure and have continued outside of 6 weeks, does that mean they are less likely to be HIV related?  A few internet resources suggested that general fatigue/weakness is one of the most under-reported symptoms of HIV and that a person's alcohol habits impact that fatigue.  I know that self-diagnosing is not the answer and I understand the only way to conclusively find out is with a blood test.  I will certainly take your advice and get a preliminary test this week.  I also think it's time to figure out a solution to my drinking habits.

A couple of other questions I wanted ask are how does HIV infection impact a person's dating/relationship life?  Are there specific places or websites people use to get into relationships?  Sorry if I seem uninformed.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:01 pm »
You have not tested positive so don't get the cart before the horse.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:45:18 am »
Need,

Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status and for that reason, we do not discuss symptoms here. However, none of your symptoms sound remotely like primary hiv infection.

You are unlikely to end up positive over these two brief lapses of reason. There's no point in discussing what it's like to live with hiv with you because although you have had a risk and you do need to test, you're unlikely to have to deal with hiv.

Bite the bullet and go get tested. I'm expecting a negative result and so should you, but you absolutely need to test to know for sure. Don't bother with the "I'm too scared" excuse - it won't fly here.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline NeedAdvice55

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 06:39:49 pm »
Ann, thank you for your advice and the tough love.  I went to the doctor again today and he said that, while only a blood test after 3 months will tell for sure, it is highly unlikely that I have HIV.  He explained that the symptoms I have are more likely associated with stress/anxiety/depression.  He prescribed me some medication and the plan from here is to see how it works over the next week or so and then to get retested after 3 months.  It amazes me that the body is so powerful and able to manifest these symptoms since my mind apparently doesn't want to deal with the problems.  I will keep you all posted on my test results.  Thanks again.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.