Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 396
Total: 399

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: getting through the season intact  (Read 3534 times)

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
getting through the season intact
« on: December 16, 2006, 08:49:51 am »
i'm one of those people who kind of try to avoid this whole season as much as possible.

i was in Home Depot the other night, all I wanted to a leaf rake

too-loud muzac was playing "Little Drummer Boy" which brought back a flood of memroies of a childhood full of hope and expectations that all turned to shit...

I could not stop tears like a river, right in the middle of the damn super store. I felt like telling the manager to please turn off the damn carols so I could shop in peace, but I left instead

a veneer of cheer is hard for me to maintain, I know full well its not real.

call me a pessismist but if you expect the world to be a cold hard place, you won't often be wrong
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
Re: getting through the season intact
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 12:04:47 pm »
As a non-theist I joyfully ignore Xmas and, for good measure, New Years:  just dates on the calendar.  I usually get a few gifts for friends and my nieces but this year I'm not in the mood so will probably only give my nieces Amazon.com gift certificates for Chanukah.

I also avoid every shopping place except the grocery store and Walgreens during the season because I can't stand the crowds and xmas crap.  If the Home Depots in New Orleans play muzak I must ignore it because I can't remember ever hearing any. 

As for crying in public I've done it enough so it doesn't really bother me, although I sometimes seek solitude so I can sob and wail without scaring strangers.  If it's just a matter of a few tears I wipe my eyes and go about my business.

The world is definitely a cold, hard place but I have it so much better than many other people inhabiting the globe I feel a bit self-absorbed and hypocritical if I get too mired in pessimism.  Life stinks but I might as well try to get some pleasure while occupying this space.  I find pleasure in simple ways like a warm, sunny day in winter or interacting with my quadruped house-mates or watching a DVD for the zillionth time.  It also helps to have a dark sense of humor as well as a keen enjoyment of nonsense. 

Dealing with depression from early childhood gave me a worldview forever tilted toward sadness but I have a stockpile of pills if I decide I've had enough, which comforts me (but don't tell my psychiatrist, please).

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:53:52 pm »
a deep breath before the plunge

poised on the brink of madness

trying to remember all the names of my mormon nephews and neices....

little good can come of this ( how many days long is christmas anyway??)

I'm presenting my mormon sister & her hubby with the platinum extended version of Lord of The Rings - 12 discs!

which is just as good a back-story as the mormons can muster frankly....

I like the story of Eru Illuvatar

otherwise the whole Joseph Smith thing is pretty hokey....

-Roger Waters

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 08:56:49 pm »
a deep breath before the plunge

I like the story of Eru Illuvatar

That's from the Silmarillion, isn't it? 

I am a huge nerd... and pretty damn proud of it.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 09:09:24 pm »
Illuvatar is Tolkien's God-dude

it is a truly amazing tale of Genesis, and if you like Lord -o-the Rings you must at least read up on this much of JRR's back-story

It's chapter 1 of the Silmarillion.

I read it every winter when the days start to become grey and short
-Roger Waters

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:13:56 pm »
I've read it... I think I still own it somewhere.

Never underestimate the power of my nerdiness.  :P

Which brings me to the topic of this thread... how do I get through the holidays?  Lots and lots of Buffy and Star Trek.  No joke... I kind of submerge myself into a DVD case and don't come out until around New Year's.

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 09:30:20 pm »
I will be seeing my mormom mom, half brother, sister/herhubby+6kids

no coffee for breakfast

no beer for lunch

god forbid a bong hit now and then...

I haven't seen these people in 6 years, I barely know my neices & nephews names

and this mormon undercurrent, sends a shudder down my spine

a daunting episode

i may bring my small supply of hallucinogens to help balance out the punch bowl...
-Roger Waters

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 09:38:48 pm »
LSD in the punch?

Wow... Twofires and The Trippin' Mormons.

That would be an awesome band name.   ;D

I guess this just goes to show that no matter how badly I think I may have it vis-avis my family (i.e. an uberCatholic mom who, in fits of pique, sometimes likes to rub the HIV in my face)... a lot of people do indeed have it worse.

There is one nice thing about Catholic relations, no matter how religious they may be, there is usually plenty of social anesthesia (i.e. whiskey and wine) on the ready... so the family gatherings are thus made more bearable.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 11:46:38 am »
Au,

Which Trek do you watch? I am a fan of the original but like some of the others. Not sure where you are but the Spike network has Voyager on all this week at 9 am. Sounds like they're gonna pick that one up, they already have TNG. I use to love Buffy when she was on but trying to watch it now, it seems chessy, but loves Angel but it comes on 6-8 am. I'm going to buy the dvds one day or watch them all thru netflix.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 12:08:24 pm »
I'm watching the Voyager marathon too

it is kind of cheesey

DS9 is grittier, I like it more
-Roger Waters

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 01:18:27 pm »
Hello Mr Twofires,

I'm ok getting through this season intact, even though I don't like it much. My problem is getting through this season in tact.

I have to watch myself that I don't reply to all the season's greeting schmaltz with a resounding BAH FRIGGING HUMBUG! I mean, that's not terribly tactful, is it. I also have to squelch the urge to tell all the bright-eyed little kiddies that Santa Claus is just a plot by Corporate America/Britain to get their parents to empty their pockets and go into debt.

I tend to concentrate on the original celebrations of this time of year, you know, the ones The Church took over in order to make the new religion more palatable to the pagan tribes they were pushing Christianity on.

The winter solstice, which marks the beginning of the end of the looooong nights of winter, is well worth celebrating. The birth of Jesus is to some people as well (and I do not have a problem with that), but it certainly didn't happen on December 25th!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.