Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:30:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 657
Total: 657

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need some help on ALT/Vitamins....Please  (Read 4390 times)

Offline jinghua

Need some help on ALT/Vitamins....Please
« on: October 02, 2007, 10:44:31 pm »
Dear All,

I got my latest test result from hospital yesterday, but it seems so bad in term of my liver function!!!

Dr said that my ALT is skyrocket to 204 from 67,186....so she urged me to stop taking any medicine such as my chinese medicine to prevent lung infections and vitamins!!!

Dr didn't tell me about other like : AST (which is also important accroding to my friend)

I consulted some of my friends and they suggest me to do the same, however, i am not really sure if i should stop the basic vitamins at all?

My current cd4 is 539 from 47x....so, any advice that i should stop this? % is unknown..couldn't find that record as well..... ???

By the way, hospital lost my result on Hepatitis A,B & C....they just said to me that Hep B is non-reactive!!! next month i will have to go back to hospital for an ultrasound scan on my stomach....

I wish that you guys can tell me if i should be very worry about this or not? and....what is the worst situation i need to expect..??? My entire life i have no problem dealing with Hepatitis as i am considered immuned...but not sure about Hep C.

Please help me on this....i am looking for some informations thru internet as well....

J.H  :-*
Live started to change...i wish i can have a better life...

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: Need some help on ALT/Vitamins....Please
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:50:59 pm »
Hi there,

I'm not sure I understand your numbers. You say 204 from 67,186 ? Is that 67 thousand? Doesn't make sense, and 67 point 186 doesn't make sense either?

Your CD4 is 539 from 47x ? What's 47x ?

Can you clarify ?

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline jinghua

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:58:59 pm »
Milker....

So sorry for the confusion..

My ALT result from previous test :
03/2006 - 67
05/2007 - 186
07/2007 - 204

My cd4 :
05/2007 - 472 18%
07/2007 - 539 unknown%

Jing Hua

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:17:21 pm »
Thanks, junghua. I'm not familiar with liver results but it looks very high. AST helps discover the reason for the elevated ALT. If your doctor urges you to stop taking chinese medicine and vitamins I would do it and see if this helps getting your liver results back to normal. Liver damage is a serious topic, so pay attention to what your doctor is saying. Others with more knowledge about this area may have more information for you.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline jinghua

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 12:46:06 am »
Milker....

So sorry for the confusion..

My ALT result from previous test :
03/2006 - 67
05/2007 - 186
07/2007 - 204

My cd4 :
05/2007 - 472 18%
07/2007 - 539 unknown%

Now, here is the latest result of my ALT (31/01/2008)......it's horrified!!!
From July number : 204
to Jan 08 : 305 !!!!

I had my flu shot 4 days before my ALT blood draw, any of you would say this was effected by the flu shot? (Because doctor said it is...)

We discussed about admittance to hospital for a full checkup....i am so scared!!! Because Chinese New Year is coming and i am flying to New Zealand for 6 months (might extend for another 3 months) .....so much things to do...and so busy..... >:( >:(  :'( :'(

Suddenly telling me that i might have to stay in hospital for about a week...i don't know how to react...doctor agreed that i can go to New Zealand but i will need to get the cd4 figure while i am there...at least once during my stay in New Zealand...I wish i can get some help there as Jan already advicsed me some places to get assistance...

Any of you know whether it's caused by flu shot? and i am waiting for my third Hepatitis B and 2nd Hep A shot....

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:01:16 am »
I have no idea, but if your doctor said it is, then I would probably take his word for it.  Newt would be a good one to comment on this matter.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:18:34 am »
here's what I found on my healthcare  (Kaiser) website for ALT

Test Overview

An alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test measures the amount of this enzyme in the blood. ALT is found mainly in the liver, but also in smaller amounts in the kidneys , heart , muscles, and pancreas . ALT formerly was called serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase (SGPT).

ALT is measured to see if the liver is damaged or diseased. Low levels of ALT are normally found in the blood. However, when the liver is damaged or diseased, it releases ALT into the bloodstream, which makes ALT levels go up. Most increases in ALT levels are caused by liver damage.

The ALT test is often done along with other tests that check for liver damage, including aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alkaline phosphatase, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), and bilirubin. Both ALT and AST levels are reliable tests for liver damage.

Results

An alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test measures the amount of this enzyme in the blood. Results are usually available within 12 hours.
Normal

Normal results may vary from lab to lab.
Alanine aminotransferase

4–36 units per liter (U/L) or 4–36 international units per liter (IU/L)
High values

Very high levels of ALT may be caused by:

* Recent or severe liver damage, such as viral hepatitis.
    * Lead poisoning.
    * Drug reactions.
    * Exposure to carbon tetrachloride.
    * Decay of a large tumor (necrosis).
    * Shock.

Mildly or moderately high ALT levels may be caused by:

* Mononucleosis.
    * Hepatitis. The ALT level in a person with hepatitis can be 20 times the normal value.
    * Alcohol dependence. People who drink excessive amounts of alcohol and take acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) can have high ALT blood levels.
    * Mildly elevated levels of ALT may occur in people who are growing quickly, especially young children.

Slightly high levels ALT levels may be caused by:

* Cirrhosis.
    * Liver cancer.
    * A heart attack.
    * Thyroid disease.
    * Polymyositis.
    * Severe burns.
    * Injury to the pancreas, kidneys, or muscles.
    * Vigorous exercise.
    * Many medicines, such as antibiotics, chemotherapy, aspirin, narcotics, and barbiturates.

What Affects the Test

Reasons you may not be able to have the test or why the results may not be helpful include:

* Taking medicines. Talk with your health professional about all the prescription and nonprescription medicines you are taking. You may be instructed to stop taking your medicines for several days before the test.
    * Taking some herbs and natural products, such as echinacea and valerian.
    * Strenuous exercise, injury to a muscle, or injections into a muscle.
    * Recent cardiac catheterization or surgery.

I usually have to watch this myself. Sounds like they are high, but I'm not a doctor.  maybe you should make an appointment?

Keeping you in my thoughts,
Sharkie

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 11:16:47 am »
Hey J.H,

Its been a while since we've heard from you. Good to see you.

I would follow your doctor's advice and stop all medications and supplements he/she recommended.

Then, make a follow up appointment to see what you should do next.

Be very careful with your liver. Liver disease is no laughing matter.

I have never heard of Hep vaccines or a flu shot causing liver problems. I would ask your doc about it, but I don't think that is a cause.

Let us know what the outcome is and stay in touch a little more often. We've missed you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline jinghua

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:18:55 pm »
Dear Sharkie and Mark~~~

Thank you so much for your informations and supports~~~

Actually i asked the doctor about the worst case scenario, probably liver damage (but no one knows what it caused by) suggested would be recent injections or early stage of chronic liver damage. I had my liver ultrasound last November, it didn't show any significant change to my liver size...so, doctor eliminate chronic liver problem or fatty liver...so, now...will have to wait (again)

As i am going to New Zealand soon...doctor doesn't schedule any appointment between this...so, i can't actually get any help from malaysia government hospital... :'(  But, i will try to get another lab test privately before i am off to NZ. Wish me luck for this~~~

And, Mark~~~i am sorry that i am `disappear'... :-X Because i am not a very active person..but, don't worry....i will try to get in touch with you all more often~~~ :-* :-* Love~~~ :-* :-*

Love you all~~~

Jing Hua~~ :-*

Offline beefbud

• just some flesh caught in this big broken machine"
    • cubster dot com
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 07:01:38 am »
Hello,
I just wanted to chime in with a recommendation of Milk Thistle.  I had some screwy liver counts a few months back and my ID suggested that I take Milk Thistle as it is good for liver health.  Liver counts are back to normal but who knows if the milk thistle helped or not...i take it every day now.  Hope all goes well with you,
Dan
"first impressions are cheap auditions"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 07:05:24 am »
Hey Jing Hua, I just wanted to say good luck and have a good time in New Zealand.  Please keep in touch as to how it goes & how you're doing.  Oh, I wouldn't take milk thistle unless I had the thumbs up from the doctor.  Just my opinion.  Peace~Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline jinghua

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 11:13:03 am »
Hello,
I just wanted to chime in with a recommendation of Milk Thistle.  I had some screwy liver counts a few months back and my ID suggested that I take Milk Thistle as it is good for liver health.  Liver counts are back to normal but who knows if the milk thistle helped or not...i take it every day now.  Hope all goes well with you,
Dan

Dear Beefbud,

Thank yo so much for the kind suggestion....but my ID Dr advised me to stop everything...including vitamins....neh..everything except my food (of course)....So..i stopped everything since 5 months ago and waiting for these ALT,AST number to drop.

I would consult my doctor again before i am leaving to New Zealand  ;) and will keep everyone posted....at least that's the best i can deal with this for the moment....

:-* :-*

Jing Hua

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 11:22:28 am »
oh Milk Thistle and some meds do not mix well, definitely check with your doctor.

wish you well Jing Hua and yes please keep in touch!

peace and hugs,
Sharkie

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.