Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:21:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 571
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 551
Total: 551

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The BEST HIV books  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Poz-3/6/07

The BEST HIV books
« on: March 24, 2007, 09:50:12 am »
Hello Community,

I tested positive for HIV on 3/6/07 and I was interested in knowing if any of you had educational books that you prefer.

One book I recommend is "HIV - The First Year" by Brett Grodeck.
This is a 12 month education on someones first year of being diagnosed.

Brett has had HIV for over 19 years so he writes from experience.

Check it out.

Any of your favorites?

Education helps me stay positive about being positive.

Thanks for sharing

PS.......I had my first doctors appt last week and am awaiting the results from the tests...scary...but with the support of this forum I'm sure yall will help keep me positive through it all. Ill let yall know when I get the results on Tuesday.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: The BEST HIV books
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:15:24 am »
Hi Poz-3/6/07,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis -- Welcome to the forums, you have found a great site for sharing and caring.
I was diagnosed on 8/24/05 and just like you, I needed to learn all I could.  The first 2 books that I got were "HIV - The First Year" and "The Guide to Living with HIV Infection".  Both of these books helped me greatly.  "The Guide" was developed at the Johns Hopkins AIDS Clinic and is currently in it's sixth edition.  It's important to get the latest editions of any books, because things are moving so fast in regards to HIV infection.

You will undoubtedly be getting many welcomes and lots of advice in this thread.  If you really are someone who needs information to help maintain a positive outlook, this is very good.  Do keep in mind though, that it can get overwhelming at times -- so listen to yourself and pull back when you need to do so -- give yourself time to digest.  Maintaining perspective will go a long way to helping you fight this virus.  So, get a good doctor, ask questions, learn all you can and be your own best advocate.  This forum is the perfect place to vent, learn and ask for advice.  There are decades of experience in the members here.  Of course, be sure to use your doctor too!

Let us know how things go.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:33:58 pm »
Although caution must be exercised with reasonable care, I'd suggest that the internet is the BEST place to get all the latest data, information and support for the newly diagnosed. Books can date themselves very quickly, especially as regards HIV, where the latest news is generally the most reliable.

My ex and I were diagnosed at the same time, back in 1996, although I'd been infected for many years previously as we eventually surmised. He was never much of a reader (claimed it gave him headaches), but he fixated on a book called HIV+: Working the System. By the time we got our first case manager three years later, Kenny tried to bring up a few points he'd memorized from the book. The case manager smiled and explained that none of his concerns were apropos to the way HIV care was managed at the time.

Brent
(Who reads omnivorously from all sources)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline keyite

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 05:46:53 pm »
I'd suggest that the internet is the BEST place to get all the latest data, information and support for the newly diagnosed.

I agree. In addition to this site, my favourite haunts (admittedly from more of a UK perspective) are:

Aidsmap: www.nam.org.uk
The Body: www.thebody.com
Positive Nation: www.positivenation.org.uk
gay.com - both UK and US versions have HIV sections and they have quite well-written news articles

You can subscribe to a weekly email newsletter with all except PN.

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 06:51:09 pm »

Perhaps it goes without saying, but "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts is a great history of the epidemic in the US.  But I might suggest waiting awhile to let things digest before taking this book on.  It is likely to infuriate you...as it should. 

best,
brian

Offline Central79

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 03:02:53 pm »
I'm not really up with books - the science changes so fast...

I think the lessons on this site are great to establish a basic knowledge of HIV. Then I tend to read the news on aidsmap (nam.co.uk, as previously mentioned) and at The Body and on here. I love podcasts, I subscribe to Positive Nation (a magazine in the UK). I go to meetings and talk to people. I tend to find more sticks, and I can ask questions.

In a similar vein, I learn a lot from reading these forums - I can put everything into context that way.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.