Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:38:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773201
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 509
Total: 511

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Which laptop computer is the best to buy?  (Read 2182 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Which laptop computer is the best to buy?
« on: May 01, 2012, 01:16:02 am »
HI all.  I lost my old "Dell Latitude 100l laptop" a year ago, accident by water damage  >:(, and now I have the money to buy a new laptop, but I wonder if I should get Dell model with a " 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M (2.2 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)" or some other brand like Sony or Hewlett-Packard?  I just need an everyday laptop to play my Sims 3, play videos, web searches, etc.  I have been looking for months and I am about to make a decision, but any suggestions would be helpful. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline darryaz

Re: Which laptop computer is the best to buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:24:50 am »
If you liked your old Dell, you'll probably like a new one.  One brand-name PC is about as good as another these days.  I would stay away from the no-name bargains.

(Full disclosure - I'm a former Dell employee)

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:38:49 pm »
Play sims 3 you say? then you'll need a decent laptop. One with a dedicated graphic chip (probably nvidia), at least a Core i3 or i5 processor, and 4 GB minimum. Probably Dell have a model with these features under 1000 $
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline poz91

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 01:23:32 pm »
I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I'd definitely have to echo the advice so far... stay away from the flimsy budget model laptops (regardless of brand name). They tend to break easily (cracked hinges, keys popping off, etc) even under light normal use.

A well built, sturdy computer is a much better investment... and if you don't mind buying used, you can pick up a really nice computer on Craigslist or from a pawn shop for roughly the same price as a bottom of the line new computer. Best Buy's online "outlet center" is also a great place to find discontinued top of the line models for a fraction of what they originally cost (my HP Envy Core i7 was discounted $1,200 ... and is so much nicer than any current model that I could afford!)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:29:09 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I decided to get the "HP Pavilion g6x series" at $522.00 for I like HP's, I have gotten use to my lover's HP, I get the i3 processor, and it looks very nice.  I hope to receive it next week.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:31:19 pm by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.