Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:41:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773503
  • Total Topics: 66376
  • Online Today: 430
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 285
Total: 285

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1st Night Taking Atripla  (Read 7887 times)

Offline 021815

1st Night Taking Atripla
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:05:58 pm »
Hello,

Tonight will be my first night taking the HIV treatment, Atripla.  I am extremely nervous.  Any suggestions on how to best take this medication. 

Thank you!

Offline zach

Re: 1st Night Taking Atripla
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:43 pm »
You may have powerful dreams. Expect to feel somewhat hung over. Strong medicine. Sounds strange but something about a fatty meal makes the dreams more vivid. Beats the shit out of HIV.

Offline POS07-11-2014

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:11:45 pm »
Hey 021815,

I have been on Atripla for about 5 months now and I am tolerating it well. I occassionally have funky dreams, but that seems to have subsided.

I take my pill at 9 every night. I eat dinner at about 7 each night and go to bed around 10:30 to 11.

My numbers are getting much better, so I can live with an occasional bad dream.

Hope everything is going well.

Take care!

POS
Questionable event in March
Tested pos with Oraquick 5-17-2014
Positive confirmed on 7-11-2014
7-19-2014 cd4 276 cd4% 9 vl 312,735
Started Stribild 8-15-2014
Allergic reaction identified, stopped Stribild 9-9-2014
Saw ID, started Atripla 9-17-2014
11-12-2014 cd4 447 cd4% 17 vl 326
02-05-2015 cd4 388 cd4% 16 vl 49
04-24-2015 cd4 407 cd4% 23 vl UD (YEAH!)
08-04-2015 cd4 318 vl UD
12-11-2015 cd4 378 Cd4% 21 vl UD
02-26-2016 cd4 367 Cd4% 26 vl UD
05-26-2016 cd4 393 Cd4% 28 vl UD
09-07-2016 cd4 374 Cd4% 27 vl UD

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:35:24 pm »
Hello,

Tonight will be my first night taking the HIV treatment, Atripla.  I am extremely nervous.  Any suggestions on how to best take this medication. 

Thank you!

yeah, swallow and move on.  :)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline areobe

• "I am a stone." - Demon Hunter
    • "Me" in a single song.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:21 pm »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I kinda like the funky vivid dreams.   8)
03-Dec-2014 Dx'ed HIV+
03-Dec-2014 CD4 18
03-Dec-2014 Began Atripla
09-Jan-2015 CD4 189
08-Apr-2015 CD4 182 VL UD

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:20:27 pm »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I kinda like the funky vivid dreams.   8)

totally, had a few psychedelic trips :) all that faded within a month

Offline Tonny2

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:08:11 pm »
Hello,

Thank you!

ojo      Hello 02...don't be nervous, take it before you go to bed, with an empty stomach to lessen the side effects...one of the componens of ATRIPLA, (efavirenz) its the one that will make you have some vivid dreams, when I took this med, I have vivid dreams for three nights, after that, I was fine, so will you, let's know how it went, ok?, good luck...hugs      ojo

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:53 pm »
I've been taking Atripla (or its components) for over 9 yrs.  I still get some interesting dreams - in fact last night I was in a beauty contest (cue Miss Alabama, aka Jeff, with a joke --   ;) ).
I can attest to a high fat meal/snack making things more intense.  If I have a donut with my pill -- I will feel quite high about 30 mins later.  Having been sober since 1989, I do kind of enjoy it from time to time.

Take the pill and move on.  Remember that it is all about taking control AWAY FROM the virus and getting your life back.

Hugs,
M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:25:32 am »
I'm only going to giggle uncontrollably Mike . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 03:16:09 pm »
I'm only going to giggle uncontrollably Mike .

You may now refer to me as Miss Congeniality!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 03:17:59 pm »
You may now refer to me as Miss Congeniality!

I would have thought you won my dear .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 03:36:50 pm »
I would have thought you won my dear .

Well, you know how these Atripla fueled dreams simply MAKE NO SENSE!!

Offline 021815

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 07:41:33 pm »
Hello,

So the first night went well!  About 90 minutes after I took the medication I started to get extremely tired and went to bed.  My parents said I was out like a light.  This morning I felt really groggy and foggy, but I expected that.  I am just glad that this medication exists!! I was recently diagnosed and it has been a roller coaster of emotions...but I happy to start medication and push forward!

Thank you all for you replies!

Offline Tonny2

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 09:01:08 pm »
Hello,

So the first night went well!  About 90 minutes after I took the medication I started to get extremely tired and went to bed.  My parents said I was out like a light.  This morning I felt really groggy and foggy, but I expected that.  I am just glad that this medication exists!! I was recently diagnosed and it has been a roller coaster of emotions...but I happy to start medication and push forward!

ojo      Hello 02, it seems like you have made it...I'm glad you didn't have mayor issues, now, just don't forget to take it, and you will be okay...hugs    ojo

Offline bocker3

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 09:42:12 pm »
Hello,

Glad that it went well.  Keep taking it each night -- and keep up the good attitude too!!

Mike

Offline Richy

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 02:19:25 pm »
Last night was my first night to take Atripla. I was (am) nervous, but only because it's just my 2nd cocktail combo ever. I had been on Videx, Epivir, Sustiva since '99, with no detectable load and high CD4 counts all this time (I am truly fortunate and don't take it for granted). But Dr Gallant says in his blog that Videx is too toxic and has no place in modern HIV therapy (besides I also have hep B, which he says needs the tenofovir, too). I'm glad to be finished with Videx though my pancreas is still going strong, but to drop it and Epivir is scary (that old "if it ain't broke, . . ." issue). But I'll do fine, I just know it. Re the Sustiva component, I still occasionally have vivid dreams, but they're not scary, just endless loops of boring go-nowhere images, over and over and over. Thank goodness it's only occasional. But one thing that I hardly ever experience anymore since about 6 months after starting Sustiva in '99 is the very weird and unpleasant (physical) feeling in the head, very hard to describe, too. It's not disorientation, but close. I learned to ride it out, but that all has gone away. Now it's just those stupid boring dreams every now and then. Imagine being made to watch an Empire flooring company commercial over and over and over for 6 hours. Just thought I'd share in case it helps someone to hear these Sustiva tidbits. What a wonderful site this is. Peopled by wonderful folk.
Richy

Offline Tonny2

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 04:23:22 pm »

ojo     good for you Richie, better yet, you stoping the Videx, I'm still suffering the consecuences of having taking this toxic medication...if you took sustiva, you will not have mayor problems with Atripla, best of kuck for you...hugs      ojo

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.