Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:32:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 682
Total: 684

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Disability "Contacting your Congressman"  (Read 4491 times)

Offline KHATL66

Disability "Contacting your Congressman"
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »
Hello, I am new to the forums and have a question. Im 47. I lost my job of 7 years due to absences due to illness. I started a new job just a month later but after 4 weeks I got sick and my health was declining again. I decided that my health was more important and want to be around for family and friends so I decided to apply for disability. I hired an advocate and received a cover letter that mentioned "Contacting your Congressman". It stated that most people have a Social Security hearing and contact their Congressman. My question is this...I am only a month into this process and confused about this. Does this have much bearing on ones case? Should I wait until I actually get to the "hearing" stage to write this letter? What is the essence of this letter. Are you pleading your personal case or is it more general? What should I say/include in this letter. Does anyone have any experience with this???

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:03:35 pm by KHATL66 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Disability "Contacting your Congressman"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:19:04 pm »
I would wait until you hear from SS. When I applied a decade ago they would expedite a case with HIV/AIDS at least if the medical documentation seemed straight forward and clear. My turn around was maybe three months, perhaps two. I can't recall clearly.

If you're not approved the first go around then you go through all of that very lengthy appeals process and I suppose at that point you can contact your congressman. Actually I don't recall ever hearing about that from others on this forum.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline KHATL66

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 03:41:21 pm »
Thank you Miss Philicia. I think I am gonna just wait until I hear back from Social Security. When you applied did you get approved right away or did you have to have the hearing? I wonder what this hearing process is gonna be like if I have to have one?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 03:54:05 pm »
I was approved the first go around. No denial no appeal, but I don't think that happens as much these days unless your laid up in a hospital bed. It all depends on how well your medical doctor documents things in your application and that they conform to the list of criteria SS has for disability as regards HIV/AIDS.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »
Hi K,

Welcome to the forums!

Rather than me going into a lengthy (very lengthy) reprise of my efforts to attain disability, I suggest you read my thread here.

"ssdi appeal question..."

Someone in my thread posted a great website (another forum) specifically designed for someone applying for disability.
Some of the "rules" in the SS Blue Book in regards to hiv are ambiguous.
Like Miss P. stated, check out the criteria required for hiv..... in detail!
SS is getting pretty tough these days.

I hope you have a good relationship with your doctor so he documents all of your more subtle health issues.
Even those that do not pertain to hiv.
Your ENTIRE health will be looked at by SS.

Hope this helps.

(I have been hiv+ for over 30 years and was denied twice.)
Ready to file an appeal for a hearing which, by the looks of the wait time will occur in June or July of 2014. Yup, 2014.

It can be a long and frustrating process. :(

m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline KHATL66

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:20:51 pm »
Hey Mitch. Thanks for your post...it helped a lot. Its a shame we that we have to battle the system like this. I can't believe its over a year before you get your hearing. Im rooting for you. Please keep me informed of any changes in your case. I found that link you referred me to and one good thing going for me is that my district has the highest approval rate in the state.

Thanks again...Keep me informed.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.