Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:36:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 178
Total: 180

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Whats "Normal"  (Read 5146 times)

Offline bear60

Whats "Normal"
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:47:39 am »
I am feeling really bitchy and mean today, so this is just a rant to get some of that out.  Kurt and I have been so sick the past two weeks that I have only left the house recently to go to my accupuncturist. First I got a sinus infection, then Kurt got a stomach flu then I got that and then he got the cold.  I dont even know whats next.
I have no idea what feeling "normal" is anymore.  Somewhere in the 90's I think I lost touch with normal.  Too many deaths ...too much pain.
At one point Kurt was so sick he was barfing with such force he shit his pants.  There was vomit running down the walls because he couldn't get in in the toilet.  ( I cleaned it all up).  Poor guy, he was running a 101 fever and I was really afraid that he would have to go to the emergency room.  But he made it thru this time.  Luckily he has what looks like a hospital dispensary in the house.
Then I came down witht the barfing and diarreah but I only barfed once and shit my pants only once. However, what this did to me was irritate the Barretts esophagus that I have and I was in such pain I couldnt sleep.  Back to the dispensary for some oxycodone. Man that stuff gave me the best sleep in a long time.  But when it wore off I was still in pain.
Suddenly it dawned on me that the Barretts syndrone had flared up and my Pantoprazole wasnt taking care of it.  Back to the dispensary.  Found three months supply of Nexium and now I feel gfreat.  Only thing is that since I have no appetite and it was actually painful to eat, I had no bowel movemments.  Backto the dispensary. Found stool softener.  Back to "normal" , now???  Who knows.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Whats "Normal"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 11:10:58 am »
Whats normal is a very good question for some of us . I have had a run of bad luck myself ,going on 6 months of not feeling well at all most days .

I also have a long history of chronic pain . Before my pain was diagnosed some days I would be hurting so bad but knew better than to run to the doctor only to be told that nothing wrong could be found . This went on so long I actually started to think I was just imagining it all .

The whats normal question I have to ask myself somedays is , I'm hurting in a new place today , guess I need to see the doctor or should I just wait .

I'm a pretty happy guy with a decent life , because I have been dealing with this so long , that's my normal .

I hope you guys feel better soon , its good to see you still have a sense of humor about it all .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 01:31:56 pm »
Jg.... I used to think smoking made me feel "normal".  Ha ha

Each day seems to present a new challenge.
The mail just came and ...low and behold....my new primary physician whom I have seen a total of ONE time....is retiring.
I have an appointment Dec 3.   I have no idea who I'll see. And I diont really care.  If the office doesnt send me a notice, I just walking in there and saying" I have an appointment with Dr....."
This new doctor would be the 5th new doctor I've had since becoming HIV positive.
Cant wait for number 6.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:33:47 pm by bear60 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:47:04 pm »
I got lucky in the doctor department . My primary doc has never failed to see me in an hours notice and will not hesitate to call my HIV doc while I'm in his office if he thinks it necessary .

I also have a close buddy who is a respected general practitioner who would gladly light a fire under any slow moving medical professionals ass who might not have my back in a pinch .

In an attempt to feel better I haven't had a cigarette in 9 days now and have dusted off my treadmill and actually been using it  ... and I never smoke anything else unless you happen to have one LOL .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:07:54 pm »
Wow Joel, that sounds horrible.  You poor guys.  I hope everything goes back to the "normal" that you like soon.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »
Hi Betty
I wanted to thank Ann for her words of encouragement. too
And I am sending positive thoughts for the miners.
The worst part of this whole stomach flu episode is that I really dont want to eat what Kurt cooks for himself.  He diet is very high protein and low carb .  He likes his meat well done and his hamburgers charred.  (Cause of salmoneela and so on).  With my sensitive stomach..... mashed potatos and oatmeal sound REALLY good.. but pork loin does not. Unfortunately we had an argument over how he was cooking my food. Its sad.  I'll survive.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 01:04:36 pm »
ah poor guys!  big hugs...but from far away :-)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 05:12:02 pm »
Really fuck all hope off normal, just enjoy any time not spent in pain discomfort and worse off all fear no thats stupid the worse off all is when all three are kicking in together.
deep breath now everyone..........
t
p.s I hope the worse has passed for you both and that you are enjoying some peace and comfort.
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:32:24 pm »
Hey Joel,

Normal? Who knows what that is these days/

I hope you and Kurt find smoother sailing in the near future.

Gad, I could use some of that too.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 11:54:09 am »
Wow Joel, you guys have had a MESS haven't you honey?  I am so sorry to hear it....

I am so with you on the not knowing what is NORMAL.   I haven't felt normal since 1987....LOL.   My 'normal' is definitely a 'normal for me only' and not for anyone else, or by any other standards.   Normal for most people is having routine bowel habits.  The only part of mine that is routine is that it happens all the time...I may go 6 times one day, 2 times the next...who knows ?   I can remember (vaguely, but I can still kinda recall) how nice it was to get up in the morning, use the restroom, and be done with it for the entire day....this is one of those 'simple pleasures' that most people don't even think about, let alone be thankful for.

Hope you guys get over all this stomach bug mess....I despise having that crap.

Warm Hugs,
Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 02:53:10 pm »
Thanks guys.
Alan you hit the nail on the head when you say people who have one bowel movement a day dont know that they are experiencing something that a lot of us never will again.  I miss that.
Kurt is more or less back to his "normal" which means not more than three bowel movements a day. I "normally" have two a day but on bad days go to 4.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.