Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:56:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 171
Total: 172

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 11938 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Surgery
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:24:17 pm »
I had my hump and the two large lumps on the back of my head removed one week ago today.

The plastic surgeon did it using liposuction. I was lucky and the adipose tissue wasn't too fiberous, and therefore didn't require any excising.

I have experienced very little pain, in fact I only took four pain pills and then used only Naproxen.

So, I am hump free for the first time in years. :)

Now, all I have to do is wait to see if they will grow back. There is a 50-50 chance they will.

Cross your fingers for me.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »
I am beyond ecstatic for you! Cant wait to see some pics of you and your sexy self. ;D

Maybe I've missed a thread or 2 covering this, but why would they potentially grow back? Weren't they a direct result of the early meds such as AZT, etc..? Of which you are not on now?

Congrats Mark!!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline aztecan

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:39:28 pm »
Hey Will,

Good to hear from you!  :)

The potential for them to grow back stems from the mitochondrial damage done at the cellular level.

In my case, I took Crixivan for 11 years, which was most likely the culprit. I also took AZT for 13 years, so, maybe it was also involved.

Anyway, some doctors have the theory that once the damage is done, it is irreversible and the adipose tissue that is deposited will just grow back once removed.

I have known people who have had it done and never had a problem from then on.

Others, well, they saw their bulges return.

I guess I will just have to wait and see.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:48:53 am »
Mark,

I am very happy it worked for you (so far) and hope the effect will be a lasting one. It also encourages me to look into the procedure as the lump I inherited from Zerit is still there even though I dropped the drug years ago.

thanks for keeping us informed

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:51:45 am »
Great news buddy.  Still waiting on the hot, sexy new photos. ;D

Take care and I hope the recovery is well underway.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:45:11 am »
Mark, I've got everything crossed - including my eyes - so please forgive any tpyos. ;D

I'm so happy for you that everything went well and you've been pain-free. Long may it continue!

I hope the lumps and humps stay away for good. Begone!

(((((((Mark))))))

More hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:16:05 am »
I'm so glad the surgery went well! I hope the hump is gone for good. Keep us posted.

Ford
 :)

Offline scotty54

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:28:32 am »
Hello all,
I had my hump liposuctioned nearly 2 months ago.  Depressing, but I have seen some return.  Hopefully the fat pad will not be as extensive.  For me I believe the culprits were Zerit/Videx/Retrovir (for nearly 9 yrs).  Also thinking of changing meds from Atripla (since 2006) to possibly more lipo friendly Isentress/Truvada.  Any input from all is a appreciated/current labs VL///undetectable     CD4//about 600.  Been blessed with much subcutaneous fat loss/redistribution for about a decade.  Not making any quick decisions but may consider hump excision.  Also may consider PMMA in future.
May you all be blessed....we are all warriors.
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:43 am »
WOW!  I just saw this!  YAY!  Congratulations, Mark!  I'm with Ann...I've got everything crossed.  Well....except my eyes because I can't see to post if I do.

But my legs are crossed, and as you can imagine, that almost never happens.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 12:59:05 am »
Thanks all for the well wishes. It has been quite an interesting experience for me.

Hey Scotty,

As it happens, I take Isentress/Truvada. I find in incredibly easy to take.

I am sorry to hear you may have had some regrowth of your fat pad. I also hope it isn't too substantial.

If it comes back, I probably could be OK with the hump, but the lumps on the back of my head were something with which I really had a problem.

Interestingly, that is the area that produced the most pain. The lumps were located right behind my ears, and now that area is very tender.

i am still hopeful I will not see regrowth there.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:01:59 am by aztecan »

Offline scotty54

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:40:56 am »
Hello Aztecan,
So sorry you had to deal with that hump and pain, especially right behind your ears. Hope you have said good bye for good.

The doctor that did my laser-assisted lipo said that my fat pad was quite fibrous.  It had also been there for nearly a decade.  It would increase when my weight increased/and also when I ate more starchy food.  Needless to say I eat little in the way of potatoes/pastas/rice (which I loved in the past). Seems that fat from face/arms/legs/buttocks migrated to upper back/neck and a little to stomach.

The doctor concentrated on the upper neck as most visible.  Have seen about 20-30% re-growth......but it is still alot better than before.  A little furthur down my back....probably 30-40% re-growth.  So it is still much better than before.
Will keep you posting....if it completely returns I will consider going under the knife.

I am thrilled that you had so much success...your hump may not have been as fibrous.  I also hope the tenderness subsides for you.  Glad to hear the Isentress/Truvada is good regime for you. Best to you...
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline hoosier69

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 04:40:19 pm »
Mark!   Congrat's on the success of your surgery.  I know it's been quite a struggle for you.   And I hope the fat never returns.   Keep us posted!   

Offline phost86

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 11:39:31 pm »
Great news and good luck:)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 04:14:25 pm »
Hi Mark,  Congratulations !!! Have fun picking out your new wardrobe,I know I did !Enjoy Every Minute & Be Well,Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline weasel

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:07 am »

Howdy Mark ,
                        How are you !!!! 

I am very excited to see you had the hump removed .

I hoping all is in it's right place now .

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.