Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:33:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 475
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Conspiracy theories  (Read 23818 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Conspiracy theories
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 09:27:56 am »
I find why people adopt conspiracy theories very interesting and I have been reviewing literature online. One reason I am interested is because my stepfather believes the FDA is trying to destroy America by burying natural cures for everything from the common cold to cancer. It is my feeling his belief started because he and my mother were chain cigarette smokers and my siblings and I repeatedly encouraged them quit. My stepfather didn't want to, and hasn't, accepted the fact he is addicted. He is a very proud man who routinely advocates willpower and refuses to accept that he can't quit on his own. It was easier for him to go into complete denial about the effects of smoking and believe it causes no ill health effects, despite all evidence to the contrary. When my mother was diagnosed with COPD and had to go on oxygen he attributed it to pollutants in the atmosphere rather than a house full of smoke. He then generalized that if cigarettes don't cause cancer then the medical community must be wrong. He futher reasoned all the doctors can't be bad, so it must be where they obtain their information, which he believes is the FDA. He receives advertisements in the mail for "natural cures they don't want you to know about!" and it completely feeds into his paranoia. Since he is old and has a lot of time on his hands he ruminates about this stuff. Normally we just try to avoid the topic but my partner, who can't stand my stepfather anyway, blows a gasket every time my stepfather calls criticizing my partner's decision to have undergone chemotherapy or sends us a pamphlet about herbs from the Amazon that cure cancer. He went from being unable to accept that he can't quit smoking to believing the FDA is trying to kill us all.

Offline camille07

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2010, 10:29:24 am »
Gso-  It's interesting that you bring up a personal experience into this.  I find people who are struggling with personal demons or hurting will grab onto these alternative quacks like Gary nulle to help alleviate their pain. He proports this same type of thinking (fda and pharmacueticals are killing us), and in addition, is an Aids denialist (side note).

I have a few friends that have done the exact same thing to me regarding my meds. Telling me that big pharma has the cure for Aids, but is keeping it under wraps in order to obtain further financial gains. That I should stop my meds and go completely holistic.  I responded, "only if you plan on paying for my funeral".

I think, in general,  it makes these folks feel as though they have this knowledge (gnosis) that the rest of the world is being hood winked.  And it's their jobs to save the rest of us from the bad guys.

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2010, 01:16:36 pm »
If you're referring to your comment about the "illegal Arab" as being a joke, then you're right -- the board doesn't take racist yelps like that lightly, nor should it.  Why don't you actually explain what you meant by that instead of running away from it.

okay i will put it as simple as i can just for you, the special one.
His father owned harrods (famous London shopping store)for many years.He applied many times over the years for a British passport for himself and family, these applications were always turned down  by the british government.
If he had married Diana he would of become step father to the second in line to the throne , prince charles oldest son ,not an ideal scenario in the eyes of the establishment, hence the conspiracy theory that diana and dodi were murdered.
There you go easy eh, and since when has the term illegal arab been racist for gods sake , ooh what are you like you drama queens .
p.s Dont bother to reply as you and the clique are now where they belong on my ignore list you can go and find someone else to spout your drivel to.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline weasel

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2010, 06:57:42 pm »
You actually believe that the US government invented HIV?  Stunning.

YUP  :o

We all got our  thoughts  :D

No matter how absurd

Just me  ,
                                                         Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2010, 07:01:09 pm »
                        YUP  :o

We all got our  thoughts  :D

No matter how absurd

Just me  ,
                                                         Carl

Why?

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2010, 07:11:19 pm »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline fearless

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:32 pm »

foil on your head will stop them being able to access your mind.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2010, 11:02:44 pm »
Oh Good God.

We just found out that the US had been pulling a Tuskeegee in Guatemala. Up until at least the 50s the best we could do was infect folks with syphilis. We have found reliable blood evidence dating HIV back to the 1920s. So we had that extensive genetic manipulation 20 years before we achieved nuclear fission or nylon pantyhose?

Not in this part of the multiverse.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2010, 11:25:24 pm »

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2010, 11:57:27 pm »
^
|
|
|___ That's a good one.

Offline camille07

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2010, 08:55:24 am »
Great Reginald conspiracy poster! :D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 09:53:53 am »
I knew it was Reginald the whole time.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2010, 01:09:40 pm »
okay i will put it as simple as i can just for you, the special one.
His father owned harrods (famous London shopping store)for many years.He applied many times over the years for a British passport for himself and family, these applications were always turned down  by the british government.
If he had married Diana he would of become step father to the second in line to the throne , prince charles oldest son ,not an ideal scenario in the eyes of the establishment, hence the conspiracy theory that diana and dodi were murdered.
There you go easy eh, and since when has the term illegal arab been racist for gods sake , ooh what are you like you drama queens .
p.s Dont bother to reply as you and the clique are now where they belong on my ignore list you can go and find someone else to spout your drivel to.

OMG philicia finally has no answer  mmmm it feels good ,go on say sorry for being wrong lol.
jan 06 neg
1 week later cd4 415 20%

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2010, 01:18:47 pm »
OMG philicia finally has no answer  mmmm it feels good ,go on say sorry for being wrong lol.

To be fair, He was told not to bother with a reply, as you had him on ignore.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2010, 01:55:27 pm »

What a sad man ... he only pops in to continue to troll for a fight .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2010, 02:22:20 pm »
What a sad man ... he only pops in to continue to troll for a fight .

Yeah, when I stop to think of it, this is an HIV support and information site. When someone decides to accept neither, and gives neither, I can't help but wonder about the agenda.

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2010, 02:32:47 pm »
Yeah, when I stop to think of it, this is an HIV support and information site. When someone decides to accept neither, and gives neither, I can't help but wonder about the agenda.

And it shows ...the list of people that are ignoring him is as big as my waist size .
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:35:03 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2010, 02:45:39 pm »
And it shows ...the list of people that are ignoring him is as big as my waist size .

It's almost 4 times my honest penis size too, how sad.

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2010, 02:48:40 pm »

No no no your confused again 1. This is the off topic section. 2. The clique have the agenda not me i was fine on here for over a year until i had the audacity to ask a couple of simple questions starting with my vitamin thread thats when the insults started coming from the bitter twisted few( i bet you all suck lemons for breakfast). Your mob has bullied many nice decent folks off this board recently but i will not be as bullies are best ignored. In fact wheres that ignore button, i dont know how you slipped through the net.lol.BYEEEEEE.
jan 06 neg
1 week later cd4 415 20%

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2010, 03:00:44 pm »
In fact wheres that ignore button, i dont know how you slipped through the net.lol.BYEEEEEE.

At this rate of ignoring members, you will soon be answering your own posts. Exactly why are you here?

edited to add: Silly me, I'm sure I'm on ignore so he won't see this. I suggest we just leave him totally alone and see how long he lasts.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:03:37 pm by killfoile »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »

You put someone on ignore so you can't be bothered by them and then turn around and chide them for not responding. You got issues fella.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2010, 03:59:49 pm »
To be fair, He was told not to bother with a reply, as you had him on ignore.

His post was also inaccurate and ignored something I'd previously pointed out -- not the brightest of bulbs.  Plus he has me on ignore, claims that I have the most people ignoring me, utterly oblivious to the fact that he himself has a higher number.

Of course, he claims to have put lots of people on ignore but still somehow manages to read their posts and reply -- what's that about?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2010, 04:18:23 pm »
His post was also inaccurate and ignored something I'd previously pointed out -- not the brightest of bulbs.  Plus he has me on ignore, claims that I have the most people ignoring me, utterly oblivious to the fact that he himself has a higher number.

Of course, he claims to have put lots of people on ignore but still somehow manages to read their posts and reply -- what's that about?

He claims that there is some big conspiracy behind (accusing the mods to be the ones who tweaked the number of ignores that he has). He really thinks that he is that important.  The delusional ways of some members never cease to amaze me.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2010, 04:22:06 pm »
He claims that there is some big conspiracy behind (accusing the mods to be the ones who tweaked the number of ignores that he has).

He actually said that?  What a hoot. Time for another line of coke methinks.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2010, 04:25:28 pm »
He actually said that?  What a hoot. Time for another line of coke methinks.

Yeah, needs to be quoted in his "lottery" thread.  Maybe he needs to spend that money on some blow.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2010, 05:24:55 pm »

What are you, 10 years old?..how childish, at least Philly has the intelligence not to argue with children who don't know any better, but as JK has pointed out why should he bother if you can't read his posts.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2010, 05:32:24 pm »
No no no your confused again 1. This is the off topic section. 2. The clique have the agenda not me i was fine on here for over a year until i had the audacity to ask a couple of simple questions starting with my vitamin thread thats when the insults started coming from the bitter twisted few( i bet you all suck lemons for breakfast). Your mob has bullied many nice decent folks off this board recently but i will not be as bullies are best ignored. In fact wheres that ignore button, i dont know how you slipped through the net.lol.BYEEEEEE.

Ha! I didn't even READ that post because I turned off my computer!

I'm on a horse.

Welcome Thread

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2010, 05:34:49 pm »
Ha! I didn't even READ that post because I turned off my computer!

I'm on a horse.

Love it, that made me laugh out loud.... :D

Hugs
Jan :-*

Offline camille07

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2010, 06:03:24 pm »
He claims that there is some big conspiracy behind (accusing the mods to be the ones who tweaked the number of ignores that he has). He really thinks that he is that important.  The delusional ways of some members never cease to amaze me.

Ha, a conspiracy behind the conspiracy theory thread...I love irony.

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2010, 03:00:26 pm »
Ha, a conspiracy behind the conspiracy theory thread...I love irony.

its so funny eh camille and you know whats even funnier is who the hell is ignoring me lol, every post i make all the clique follow i think they fancy me they follow me around the board like snakes lol ,well sorry im married, anyone for a slice of lemon girls.
jan 06 neg
1 week later cd4 415 20%

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »
its so funny eh camille and you know whats even funnier is who the hell is ignoring me lol, every post i make all the clique follow i think they fancy me they follow me around the board like snakes lol ,well sorry im married, anyone for a slice of lemon girls.

Kiss me, you fool.  :-*

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2010, 03:12:12 pm »

Damn, I heart this man.

Welcome Thread

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2010, 03:15:10 pm »

It's called rubber necking Mary. It's hard to look away from a train wreck.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2010, 03:55:50 pm »
The vino is flowing early tonight.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2010, 03:56:06 pm »

[/quote]
Kiss me, you fool.  :-*

MtD

Damn, I heart this man.

Now now boys you heard the man, he is happily married and obviosly in love..I'm just not sure who with... ;D

i think they fancy me they follow me around the board like snakes lol ,well sorry im married,

Hugs

Offline john33

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2010, 04:00:22 pm »
The vino is flowing early tonight.

Ahh you know me lol

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2010, 05:38:13 pm »
Tommy is teh sex0r.  Me so hawdny. 

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2010, 06:59:27 pm »
So... actually about conspiracy theories... one of the least palatable ones for me is that vaccines cause autism spectrum disorders. It drives me crazy that people believe this crap! As a person with an autism spectrum disorder, I know that there is absolutely no evidence to support this junk theory. In fact, vaccines have proven over and again to be safe and to save lives. Yet stupid moms everywhere are denying their poor children life saving vaccinations for fear of autism, and these kids are either dying or getting sick and killing others. And I can't believe Jenny McCarthy, who is in the public eye, would go behind junk science like this. Imagine if Richard Gere came out and starting spouting denialism. Or some other trusted famous source. Its horrible.

Another conspiracy theory, this one related to HIV/AIDS, is that antiretrovirals actually cause AIDS. And please don't ban me, no I don't think this is true. I know its denialism, but I'm just putting it out there as a conspiracy theory.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2010, 07:07:13 pm »
Tommy is teh sex0r.  Me so hawdny. 

pixplzthx

Granny60

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2010, 09:57:43 pm »

But they did not figure that  WE ALL GET ALONG  :o

Weasel

;D

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2010, 12:25:19 am »
Hey Rev..I think we all need a weekend at Bernie's to get away from all the drama, whadda ya say?.. ;)

Hugs

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2010, 12:45:45 am »
Yeah, I have lost a few friends to AIDS denialism, literally and figuratively. It is so frustrating to see people make this pretzel out of logic.

Problem with conspiracy theories is not entertaining them, but committing to them at the expense of one's health.

That's why I find Jenny McCarthy unwatchable nowadays. I just get so full of rage when I see her, thinking about all the damage she has helped to do. I remember sitting in a hospital room in 1987 in Knoxville, TN with a friend who was dying of AIDS-related complications. His church group (to use the term loosely) came in and started telling him that his "disease" was only a "Dis - ease" with himself, and that he could cure himself if he wanted. They told him it was a selfish thing he was doing, hurting other people with the negativity of his slow death.

And they believed that. Every single one of them. Even my friend, who was dying, believed that. He cried with shame, and was dead a few days later.

Welcome Thread

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2010, 01:06:19 am »
That is very sad.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2010, 03:54:07 am »
And I can't believe Jenny McCarthy, who is in the public eye, would go behind junk science like this. Imagine if Richard Gere came out and starting spouting denialism. Or some other trusted famous source. Its horrible.

God. The Bible. The Constitution. The President. Jenny McCarthy.  Fox News.
People believe all kinds of crap and various "authorities" help cement the false belief.

If you believe the Senate, they all believed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction cause Bush said that the CIA said so. OK, so lets say half the democrats didn't believe it, and were cynical and voted for the war anyway, for political reasons. 

However, we watched Colin Powell betray the lie in his testimony to the UN. The case was SO thin, and he was clearly uncomfortable.  Me and my friends, we could all tell he was lying for his administration.  We didn't need to believe in the authorities, I guess.

Schools need to teach "critical thinking" more than it seems they have been able to.  Also "information literacy".  These are two skills that anyone can possess to some degree - it doesn't require the brain of a rocket scientist to judge the value of an information source, and judge the information, as well. 

If mommy and/or daddy are critical thinkers, chances are their kids will be too.  All the rest of the kids need to get this in school. 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.