Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:36:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 297
Total: 298

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Insurance through employer will not cover specialty drugs - NYC  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Ruskidude

• Just a guy in NYC
Insurance through employer will not cover specialty drugs - NYC
« on: January 24, 2020, 03:24:03 pm »
So I changed jobs and my new employer's plan (the high PPO plan) does not cover specialty drugs. It's the most expensive plan. All of their plans say that specialty drugs are not covered. Which means that Biktarvy is not covered, nor any other of the HIV meds out there. Despite attempts for prior authorizations and even medical necessity letters, they still denied coverage.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anything at all that can be done? I just find it crazy!
Diagnosed November 2018. Asymptomatic. Started on Biktarvy. Just trying to be proactive...

Offline harleymc

Re: Insurance through employer will not cover specialty drugs - NYC
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:00:10 pm »
Why did you change employer without checking this out first? Join your union, then find another company to work for

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 10:36:16 am »
Since when? My union plan was a platinum PPO it wouldn't cover specialty drugs at the local pharmacy.  It did cover tier 3 aka specialty drugs through CVS specialty.  I'd check that first.  It was more convienent anyway, 3 month supply mail delivered zero out of pocket cost.  I have not heard of any insurance HMO or PPO denying a drug based on type or class.  Originally mine wouldn't cover bictarvy when it was new.  A year after it was on the market I was fully covered.  Plus your ID can make a continuity of care request to keep you on specificly the same drug.  Don't take no for an answer!  Those are the kind of things in the ACA that didn't get all the media attention.
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Offline Ruskidude

• Just a guy in NYC
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 05:31:13 pm »
@harleymc - I was diagnosed one year ago and was never on any prescription medications prior. Therefore it just never occurred to me that a life sustaining treatment may not be covered. Also not a union position.

@MadDog125 - I've been fighting it for a week now. No success yet. Despite all the necessary procedures such as prior auths, medical necessity, etc. They're saying they will not cover any HIV meds...since they are a "specialty medications." Biktarvy is also a tier 2 med.
Diagnosed November 2018. Asymptomatic. Started on Biktarvy. Just trying to be proactive...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:43:17 pm »
does your doctor's office deal with the Ryan White program? if not find the Ryan White program (through the state health dpt) for your area. see what assistance or guidance they can give you about keeping access to your ARVs. While you might not be eligible for RW assistance, I have found that RW case managers will always help or figure out how PLWH can get their meds.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 10:36:09 pm »
Tier 2 means even less of an excuse.  Who is the carrier?  In all seriousness under the ACA you can't be denied coverage on a drug that is not optional.  He's right to point out the ryan white foundation.  Still there shouldn't be a need.  Even bronze plans would cover AVRs, just with a higher deductible.  I deal with medical insurance alot on my mother's behalf.  If you have a script from an ID they really have no recourse.  It may just be a question of who you need to talk to.  Plus I hate to ask but is it a small company?  Bigger companies with large group plans usually have a case worker assigned to a particular company as a group client.  If your company has one you may need to go over their head.  You have a benefit provided in good faith by your company.  This isn't an elective surgery, I can't imagine what argument they would even try to make.  If they argue the newest combo drug what about an older coctail?
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Offline Matths

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:46:45 am »
Hi Ruskidude, sorry that you go through such aggravations. However, as others have pointed out: it is the law and a patient right to get HIV treatment based on accepted medical practices which includes ARVs. No insurance plan can deny accepting you because of a pre-existing condition.

Biktarvy is a specialty drug, tier 5 (and not tier 2). Needs authorization by your treating physician and will be given to you only 30 tablets at a time.

My suggestion is to go back to your doctor, have him justify (usually online or via phone) his decision to treat you with the medicine he considers most appropriate for you, and there shouldn’t be an issue. It’s the doctor who calls the shots in this situation, and not you or the insurance company. They have no choice other than following his/her orders as long as they are based on the accepted guidelines. Best Matt

Offline Ruskidude

• Just a guy in NYC
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 10:01:44 am »
So my insurer is Blue Cross Blue Shield. The tier really depends on the insurer. Yes, generally it is a tier 3 or tier 5 specialty medications, however the tiers differ between insurance carriers and their formularies. For example, for United Health Care as well as CVS Caremark formularies, it is a tier 2. With my insurance currently, it is a tier 3. Tier 3 are not covered at all.

My income far exceeds the maximum for financial assistance and other programs such as Ryan White and Gilead's Advancing Access.

My doctor's office tried prior authorizations, medical necessity paperwork, etc.

And yes, this is certainly what the ACA does not tell you! I even tried to call the NYS health marketplace to see if any of the plans cover the medication. I spoke to a few people and didn't really get anywhere. They directed me to Medicaid...for reasons unknown. I could only wish I was eligible for Medicaid! When looking at the marketplace, all the plans say "not applicable" for specialty medications. So even if I was to potentially get a second plan...or drop my employer's plan for one of those, I'm still uncertain if they would cover.

Feeling screwed at the moment!

Offline Ruskidude

• Just a guy in NYC
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 10:03:12 am »
@leatherman - I'll try to reach out to RW today if they can provide any guidance.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.