Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 210
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How To Live A Normal Life After You’ve Tested Positive For HIV  (Read 12150 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
How To Live A Normal Life After You’ve Tested Positive For HIV
by Brandon

Hey guys! Brandon here, The Sword’s winter intern. Sorry I haven’t blogged in a while, but I’ve been coming to terms with some pretty weird news. Last month, I tested positive for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

A lot of you might be wondering how in the world someone like me could possibly catch HIV, and believe me, I’ve been wondering pretty much the same thing these past few weeks. I’m young, I’m good looking, I’m white, and I’m not an intravenus drug user—so why me? I always practiced safe sex by asking my partners if they were clean and disease free before we fucked bareback (not to mention the fact that I’m almost always a top), so this whole thing has left me pretty perplexed. Why me?

In addition to all that, you might remember that I have always been a big praponent of staying safe by getting tested every few months (which obviously I did), so why am I the one with HIV? After taking all the precautions that I’ve taken, why am I the one who has to deal with HIV? Is this some sort of early April’s Fool joke? Why me? I guess no matter what you do to protect yourself—pulling out, getting tested, asking your partner’s status—there’s no way to prevent HIV. Say la vie.

To this day, I still don’t know whom infected me with HIV, but there’s no use crying over spilled milk, right? All I can do now is try to live my life positively—pun not intended—and share my tips with others like I always do. So, here are 3 ways you can still live a normal life even if you’ve tested positive for HIV.

1. Get on medication early. Apparently the thing that causes HIV to turn into AIDS is when White Blood Cells turn into AIDS Cells that attack your system. This doesn’t even make sense since blood is red and not white, but whatever. The thing that sucks is that HIV meds have crazy side effects and I look/feel like shit pretty much all day, every day. The upside to being on HIV meds with side effects though is that your doctors will perscribe you other meds to take care of the side effects from your HIV meds (if you have health insurance, which I do because I’m still on my parents’ plan), so you’re pretty much covered. And don’t worry, if you miss a few doses of your meds because you were too fucked up from partying and forgot to go home, just take triple the dose (plus your side effects meds) whenever you get home, and drink a lot of water!

2. Join an HIV support group. I’ve had some of the hottest, most raw sex of my life with the pig bottoms from my HIV support group.

3. Educate others. Hopefully me reaching out to you guys here has helped educate you as to the causes and the effects of HIV. In addition to my role here, I’ve also been doing some behind the scenes work over at Broke Straight Boys, where I’m advising the models and the production crew on HIV testing protocols and safe sex guidelines. What can I say? I’m just trying to do my part!

Thanks guys.

-Brandon
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tednlou2

Re: How To Live A Normal Life After You’ve Tested Positive For HIV
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:28:53 pm »
I hope this is satire.  But, you never know with some. 

Modified:

I was reading the comments just now, and some take this guy seriously and thank him for the advice.   ::)   One says HIV is "so yesterday." 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:33:35 pm by tednlou2 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:48:24 pm »
Well, you know, you aren't really gay until you seroconvert. Ask Guilhermina.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:48 pm »
Shouldn't this be moved to Just Tested Positive? Or was it moved FROM there. Seems familiar.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:23:00 pm »
That's an excellent question JK ... ask Ann  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 01:19:29 am »
3 EASY STEPS TO AVOID CATCHING SYPHILIS!
Written by Brandon February 7th, 2013
1. Don’t Fuck Trannies!
2. Don’t Fuck People From The Internet!
hahahahahah

or this one...

2. Join an HIV support group. I’ve had some of the hottest, most raw sex of my life with the pig bottoms from my HIV support group.

What is the Sword, anyway.... Who is the target of this scathing satire?  and is this supposed to be someone educational, through satire and snark?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 05:57:45 am »
Shouldn't this be moved to Just Tested Positive? Or was it moved FROM there. Seems familiar.

That's an excellent question JK ... ask Ann  ;)

This ill-advised thread posting had absolutely nothing to do with me. At the time it was all going on, it was well past two AM and I was fabulously tucked up in bed, sound asleep, like any good geriatric  well-preserved  middle-aged youthful aids patient should be at that time of the wee hours.

If this blog by "Brandon" is meant to be a parody, it's a piss-poor attempt. It should have at least been followed up with a real safer sex message - like don't ask a guy if he's clean, just slap on a condom. And don't use that word CLEAN. The use of that word always makes me think they (alleged negatives) think we pozzies should all walk around ringing a bell, shouting "Unclean! Unclean!" Give me a fucking break.

If it's meant (from his point of view) to be a "truthful" account, well, his attitude is probably why so many young twenty-somethings are joining our ranks these days. ("I asked him if he was clean!") Give me a(nother) fucking break.

Regardless of the original intent of "Brandon", it's not really something that belongs here. Or maybe it is - but having those talks about how serosorting ("are you clean?") doesn't work when you want to remain hiv negative is preaching to the choir here, even if we're preaching to newly-joined choir members.

I dunno. I think if I'd gotten to it first I would have moved it from the Living forum into the Trash, rather than Just Tested. Or maybe we need to start a new forum where Miss P can start inane threads to her hearts content and folks will know it's only about stuff going on mere blocks away from her penthouse suite and nothing to be taken too seriously.

Or maybe I just need more coffee.

But seriously. The fact/idea that people are out there on the internet posting shit like this (I'm looking at "Brandon", not our beloved Miss PeePee) makes me want to repeatedly bang my head against the nearest brick wall. As we all know all too well from stuff that goes over people's heads here, a lot of people don't get irony or parody when it's in the form of the written word. They only get it when they're watching The Comedy Channel and it's been beaten into their brains that they're watching parody.

Oh never mind. I'm off to make another cuppa and go out into my back garden where there's a brick wall with my name on it.

~sigh~
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 01:22:19 pm »
As we all know all too well from stuff that goes over people's heads here, a lot of people don't get irony or parody when it's in the form of the written word. They only get it when they're watching The Comedy Channel and it's been beaten into their brains that they're watching parody.

This. It's obviously a parody/satire (without context it's difficult to be sure) but I have a higher opinion of it than our beloved Ann. Good satire (let's just call it that, ok?) ought to make people who get the joke cringe a little.

Or a lot.

Ten years' worth of AM I INFECTED and more than a few people in the rest of the forum could have (and actually have) written parts or all of that little essay themselves,  with perfect seriousness.

So as satire goes, it really works to illuminate many of the difficulties regarding HIV transmission, both before and after the fact. A little much to pack into one essay, perhaps, but then again we're looking at maybe "intern-at-The Onion" level stuff here. It's not Jonathan Swift.

There was an underground, but widely circulated HIV related rag in the 80s and early 90s called Diseased Pariah in which an essay like this might have found a home.

That rag was brilliant. Had crafting ideas (turning your multitude of AZT prescription bottles into Russian Nesting Dolls!) and a hunky centerfold sometimes (turn-ons include wicking sheets -- turn-off include bumpy penises, one night stands who die on your futon.)

It was dark as shit, and most of the people who wrote it, appeared in it, and read it are dead.At a time when death was all but inevitable, that sort of humor served as a middle finger to the Universe on the way out the door.

I am all for parody and satire, even the driest and biting-est varieties. Like Ann, I sigh after I chuckle, because it's really, really close to home.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »
So .... is now a good time for me to suggest a Dying With Forum for the Denialist ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 01:47:36 pm »
So .... is now a good time for me to suggest a Dying With Forum for the Denialist ?

This is me slowly backing away from you, putting hands in pockets, and pretending I stumbled here by accident ;P

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 02:48:54 pm »
If you can't tell that Brandon wrote this as satire you may wish to question your IQ.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 10:35:05 pm »
If you can't tell that Brandon wrote this as satire you may wish to question your IQ.

I was 90% sure it was satire.  The 10% of doubt came from knowing a few people, who could and would have been totally serious about this, or some other issue.  They live in a bubble.  And, all the people who believe Chicken of the Sea tuna is chicken. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 08:11:08 am »

There's nothing wrong with my IQ, dreary deary.

I do, however, question "Brandon's" IQ as that is some of the crappiest "satire" I've ever had the misfortune to read. It just sucked. It wasn't satire, it was stupidity masquerading as satire.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 07:49:31 pm »
Athlete Overcomes Rape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zWLJZw9Ws-g

"He's refusing to let what happened to the girl he raped, define him."

How's that for satire?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 06:54:36 pm »
are you freaking serious ,fucking BAREBACK? .... AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU CAUGHT IT?!!!!LOL. THIS HAS GOT  TO BA A JOKE!!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 07:20:42 am »

I do, however, question "Brandon's" IQ as that is some of the crappiest "satire" I've ever had the misfortune to read. It just sucked. It wasn't satire, it was stupidity masquerading as satire.

Agree.

Offline Fisher

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
Humm.

While I am amused, your story could be pushing the lid off the pressure cooker :-)
- fisher
06/15 CD 365 %24 VL<20
01/15 CD 468 %24 VL<20
09/14 CD 385 %22 VL<20
07/14 CD 391 %20 VLUD
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL<20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL<20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL<20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL 22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL<20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Mon - Pa

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 03:29:46 pm »

Agree.

Gotta say that I agree as well.  It is clearly intended as satire, but it sucks.  Meh!
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 04:53:23 pm »
You're all a dreary lot, that's for sure.

Offline Fisher

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 05:09:49 pm »
If the choice is between dreary and dreadful, I'll always opt for . . . cute!
- fisher
06/15 CD 365 %24 VL<20
01/15 CD 468 %24 VL<20
09/14 CD 385 %22 VL<20
07/14 CD 391 %20 VLUD
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL<20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL<20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL<20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL 22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL<20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Mon - Pa

Offline phillypinko

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »
"Brandon" sounds like a young bipolar man who has recently shot into mania! I was diagnosed bipolar when I was 28 so I know.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.