Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:21:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 743
Total: 744

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: smoking !!!  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Newlife

smoking !!!
« on: October 13, 2008, 05:18:56 am »
HI guys how ru all? hope all ur ok in ur health and in ur life and.....
Guys sometimes i smoke , like one cigarette or two every week .Am i taken a risk , is this dangerous for my heart and my health? 10x for helping me .
ALWAYS PLAY IT SAFE!!!!

Offline auspoz

Re: smoking !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:30:49 am »
Hi Newlife,

I start by saying I'm not a doctor, and I know they'd say to stop smoking is one of the best things you can do to improve your health.

That said, I wonder why you have only 1 or 2 a week? Heck, I have 30 a day. I will soon be ready to give up, but I can't imagine that the little amount you smoke can harm you too much. I know that I'm doing damage, but your intake must equal less than sitting in front of a smoky fire or in a traffic jam. Id say quit while you're not that hooked.

Auspoz.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:09:53 am by auspoz »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:56:04 pm »
Newlife, I have a friend who smokes maybe three cigarettes a day.  I always thought it wasn't dangerous.

I was read a newsletter called The Weekly Breather from the American Lung Association and they just had an article in there about how even an occasional cigarette can do artery damage.  I have trouble on the weekends, when around friends who do smoke, or just being bored at home. 

Anyway, I would speak to your doctor about it, especially if it's a concern to you and you want to quit.  I've found that the key is really wanting to quit.  If you don't, no stop smoking program will work.

Good luck.
    Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 04:40:04 pm »
Newlife,

If you are only smoking a few cigarette's a week I would stop all together before it becomes a more serious habit that will affect your health. Smoking is never good I have had three relatives that died from complications due to smoking, and there deathe was not very comfortable. I would stop.
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »
Ask your doctor for advice.  Speaking of VICES, we all have a few.  If it's a real pleasure, you can weigh the risks against the pleasure, considering some known risk factors:

"While 80 to 90% of lung cancer incidence can be attributed to cigarette smoking, only 10 to 15% of all smokers develop lung cancer, and 10 to 15% of all lung cancers occur among nonsmokers. These figures suggest that there are individual differences in susceptibility to lung carcinogens and that these individual differences in susceptibility may be the result of genetic predisposition to lung cancer."
http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/125/5_suppl/86S

We all know someone who smoked, quit young, and got lung cancer. We all have stories of the great auntie who smoked a few now and then, loved em, and lived into her 90's.....

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:24:47 pm »
It's not just lung cancer one has to be worried about.  There's congestive heart faliure, COPD, chronic bronchitis etc.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:01:02 am »
Hey Newlife,

Is smoking a few ciggies a week or a month dangerous? Yes.

How dangerous is it? I think that could be debated.

I smoked for 34 years. When I quit, I was smoking two packs a day.

I have issues with COPD, and use an inhaler daily as a result. I was supposed to use it twice a day, but when I do, it gives me thrush.

Not fun.

Since you are just smoking a few cigs now and then, I would just quit. I know many people who said they only smoked a few cigs, or believed they could quit no matter how much they smoked - or how little.

Most are still smoking, and, for the most part, smoking more. It is dirty, smelly and causes health issues galore.

I was at a party Saturday night (even with my cold, like the dummy I am), and most everyone there was smoking.

I was sorely tempted, more than I have been in quite a while.  I didn't smoke, but I was sure tempted.

Ask yourself if this is what you want from smoking, to never be free of the yearning?

I am not going to preach, but, were it me smoking that few cigs, I would drop it now.

Just my two cents worth.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 08:47:11 am »
As a smoker and someone who has heart disease in my family, from what I've read and heard YES even second hand smoke can affect your heart and arteries.

I'm planning on quiting smoking SOON.

I'm also going for a heart checkup since I'm 45 and my parents both had heart problems in their mid 50's.
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 06:31:21 pm »
SMOKING SHOULD BE BANNED !

It is smelly

It burns holes in things

It MAY burn YOUR house down !

smokers homes are YELLOW with nicotine ,very gross  :o

I did smoke for  10 years , been 22 years  with out them , no problem  :)
 I get sick when I get stuck in  family home that people are smoking !

My MOM died with COPD  , It took 15 years of medication ,and a very strong will
 power to live to be 75 ! The AIR TANK is no replacement for good lungs !

Just quit , sounds to me like you want to .

the best to you ,
                                                                                Karl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.