Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:44:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 268
Total: 269

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DEXA and CBC results - need help w/ interpretation, please  (Read 3323 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
DEXA and CBC results - need help w/ interpretation, please
« on: February 23, 2008, 02:08:36 pm »
Hubby just called.  He retrieved the results of Mini's DEXA and CBC tests from last Tuesday.  1st, her DEXA was NORMAL - YEAH!!!!! 

Now, for her CBC stuff.  I'm not sure what some of the abbreviations mean, so could use some help.  Also, some of the numbers have fluxuated a lot and there's no range on the report so I'm not sure where they are supposed to be. Doc did say that her new results (posted below) were WONDERFUL! ;D 

I'll post her "old" results from 1/30 first and then the results from 2/19 second.

WBC     Hgb     Hct     MCV     Plt Cnt
1/30    4.6       11.5    31.5    95.1     197

2/19    4.3       12.1    32.5      95.6     239

PMN's      Lymphs     Eos       Monos     Basos     ANC
1/30    17             77          1          5             0          .782

2/19    24             65*          7          4             0         1.032

1/30                                                    2/19
WBC                 Atypical Lymphocytes 1+                           Atypical Lymphocytes 2+
RBC                  Macrocytosis  1+                                       Aniocytosis 1+ ; Macrocytosis 1+
Monos ABS         .23                                                          .172
Lypmphs ABS     3.542                                                      2.795
Eos ABS                   .046                                                 .301
Basos Abs              0                                                           0
RDW                 10.8                                                        11.5
RBC                  3.31                                                         3.39
MPV                  7.2                                                           7.7

*Note was made by the doc writing the report (not Mini's PID) that "the increase in lymphs w/ some reactive forms suggestive of a viral etiology."
Not sure why she put the note about the 2/19 results when the 1/30 results were higher and no note was made. The world may never know.

Some of these numbers fluxuated quite a bit and some not very much.  I'm just not understanding what a lot of these mean or how they are significant / relavant.  Thanks for anyone who has any kind of insight, help, and explaination.

:-*Mum              
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:36:53 pm by minismom »
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: DEXA and CBC results - need help w/ interpretation, please
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:22:13 pm »
Hi Mum,

I worked in a Hematology lab for a number of years -- I've performed CBC's in the tens of thousands.  I, essentially, see nothing different between these 2 sets of results.  They are both pretty normal CBC's for a little girl.  I won't go into each result (of course you can ask anything specific and I'll do my best to reply) -- I'm going to guess that the "atypical Lymphocytes" might cause you some concern.  You typically see these when someone has a virus -- but they are pretty common in kids (and a 1+ grading means they didn't see all that many of them).  I'm also sure, absolutely sure, that there is a typo with the 2/19 HCT (hematocrit) result of 2.5.  The HCT should be, roughly, 3x the HGB (hemoglobin) result (not necessarily exact, but close).

Bottomline -- this looks very good -- she may have had a cold on 1/30, given the number of lymphs, but then again, maybe not -- kids tend to have more lymphs than adults anyway.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Offline minismom

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:31:39 pm »
WOW!  Good call, Mike.  That Hct should have been 32.5 not 2.5.  I've changed it now.  I just don't understand what the PID saw in the 1/30 labs that made it so "dire" for Mini to be retested on 2/19.  Oh, well, I may never know.  She has her full set of labs on 5/5.

Thanks for the quick response, hun!

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
I'm not really sure what the concern was -- it could have been the Atypical Lymphs, it could have been increase in Lymphs -- It's hard to tell, as I all I'm going on are these results.  It's possible that there were other lab results that, in conjunction with these, made the doc want to repeat.  You might just ask him/her.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline minismom

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 08:38:58 pm »
PID has now explained that the reason for the quick repeat was because Mini's WBC% was lower than they've ever been.  Because this was just after her Viramune reaction, she wanted to make sure that they would rebound.  And, they did.  So, now we know the rest of the story.  Mike, again, thank you so much for your help and explainations.  It has helped a lot!

:-*Mum
www.watoto.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.