Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:21:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 609
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: SUPER ANXIOUS!! (Condom Broke)  (Read 6006 times)

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
SUPER ANXIOUS!! (Condom Broke)
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:38:08 am »
Hi

Firstly id like to say that i really appreciate what you guys are doing here and like most people i ended up here because my constant worrying drove me to the endless loop that is the google-symptom-hunt! Here's my predicament:

exactly two weeks ago i was engaging in sexual activity with a girl iv known for 2 years, towards the end of the activity i felt my condom break so i immediately withdrew and didnt finish as i was too rattled.  Upon withdrawing i immediately ascertained her status (negative) as well as when last she tested, which she said was a month and a half prior to our intercourse. I woke up the following day with a runny nose but I attributed that to the cold front currently in my city.

Fast forward 2 weeks later I have blistering earaches as well as a heavyness feeling at the back of my head and episodal dizzyness. I also have a slightly enlarged node under my chin (pea size) + a blocked left nostril. I went to the Doc today and she said its just a flu (once again my city is currently cold). I have no fever, no rash, no sore throat, no night sweats etc BUT im STILL freaking out!!!

I recently cleaned my bedroom carpet with vinigar due to my pet making a mess on it, so my room smells of vinigar at the moment. So this morning i woke up feeling like i was going to throw up because of the vinigar aroma!

Is this seroconversion?? I keep texting my friend and asking her if she's sure she doesnt have hiv/aids and she always tells me she's sure she doesnt have it, but i still cant rest my mind! Please advise me!!!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:43:19 am by HypeNess »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: SUPER ANXIOUS!! (Condom Broke)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:48:42 am »
Its rare for the insertive partner to go on and test positive for HIV after a condom break and although your risk was a lower risk it wasn't no risk so you still must test at the appropriate time , you can test 6 weeks past the incident and again at 3 months to confirm the results .

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 12:14:00 pm »
Hi guys i'm going to cut straight to the chase.

11 days ago I had protected intercourse with a female compatriot (Durex Extra Safe). We switched positions often and the condom was in tact. We switch for the last position and the condom was in tact, but when I finished, it had burst and I ejaculated inside her. She was very dry throughout the whole procedure (Hence the breakage).

We immediately went for rapid HIV tests as I like to maintain 100% transparency. Before she went in the nurse's room for her test, she told me that she never does HIV testing and her ex-boyfriend cheated on her a lot. The rapid tests came back. Mine was negative and her initial test was positive. The nurse offered to test her again on the spot, and the test came back negative. He offered one more rapid test as we were both freaking out and it came back negative. The nurse told me not to go onto PEP as it could have been a false positive, and rather I must wait for her blood tests to come back. I didn't want to take that risk so within 5 hours of my exposure I went to a private hospital and was put onto PEP (Atripla).

Her bloods subsequently came back 2 days later and she was positive. She is a friend of mine so I'm helping her as best as I can to deal with it. I, myself, am freaking out. My sexual organ was fully exposed within her. I am on my 11th day of PEP and will be on it for 30 days. My blood test at the baseline was negative. My question is, what are my risks of having caught HIV? And have you ever witnessed a case of someone still getting HIV even after completing a PEP course? (within the 72 hour recommendation)

Please help. I am a nervous wreck right now. These PEP pills are also making me really ill but giving up is not an option. PLEASE HELP.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 01:17:54 pm »
Hi

I merged your two posts and removed your over the top subject using only the older subject for the thread.

You had a condom break and are taking PEP.   

Finish the PEP and test at 6 and 13 weeks (3 months) post finishing PEP to confirm your negative HIV status. Make sure to also test for other easier to transmit STI's. Info on PEP and testing can both be found in my signature.

As for the PEP, well considering you have started finish the course as prescribed. PEP has an excellent record of preventing HIV infection when taken correctly with correct adherence post risk.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More infomation can be foud in my signature inculding some basic information on:
HIV Testing & HIV Transmission and Risks

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:20:36 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 01:35:53 pm »
Thank you for your swift reply and I will indeed finish my PEP course. My last question that I want to ask you (and then I won't bother you again) is, in your experience as an admin on this site have u ever read of anyone seroconverting after completing PEP? And if you have, how many cases of such can you recall? (An answer will really help put my mind to some rest)

Thank you very much

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 01:56:58 pm »
Hi

What I have or have not seen, is simply irrelevant. Personally I think PEP is over the top reaction for such a minor risk.  That said it is up to you and its your risk to take, hence i can only stress to finish the course of PEP you have now started. 

PEP is not 100% effective for preventing infection from sexual exposure to HIV.
Nobody has ever claimed it was, now as for cases that it failed there may be several reasons why PEP has failed for individuals, taking it outside of the window/ not taking the medication as directed, already being positive however not showing in tests yet (test window period )etc etc

However PEP is highly effective and it have an PEP an excellent record of preventing HIV infection when taken correctly with correct adherence post risk.

After you finish therapy, you should be tested for HIV and again at 6 weeks and 13 weeks post finishing PEP to confirm your negative result. Make sure to test for other STI's as well.

Jim

2016:
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

2013:
https://www.poz.com/article/pep-emergency-availability-24482-3825

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 07:24:33 pm »
Just to add, going forward start using condoms correctly.
Change condoms when switching positions, also consider also using a lubricant designed for condoms/sex.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 04:42:41 pm »
Due to my ongoing anxiety I have decided to purchase a 3-month subscription. As of yesterday I completed my 30 day PEP course without missing a single dose. I decided to take a rapid hiv test (I know this test is useless) to ascertain my baseline status before the 3month wait. The result was negative. Not the real wait  begins.

In your experience on this forum, has anyone here ever witnessed:

a) The insertive male in vaginal intercourse contract HIV through an insertive condom break

b) Any PEP failures when PEP was initiated <72hrs

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 05:05:41 pm »
It does not matter what people "witness."

a) probably very rare, but could happen since the vaginal sex becomes unprotected.

b)  PEP may not be 100 percent effective, but close enough and highly effective if taken within the 72 hour timeframe and taken as directed.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 05:55:50 pm »
Thank you.

I know it doesn't matter what people have "witnessed" but I would like to know if you as the admins of this site have witnessed that?

I know the window period gets extended due to PEP, does possible seroconversion also get extended due to PEP? Or is it possible to seroconvert and thus suffer acute infection during the PEP course?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 08:49:16 pm »
Hi

does possible seroconversion also get extended due to PEP? Or is it possible to seroconvert and thus suffer acute infection during the PEP course?

Yes & Yes.

Now before you post again listen carefully we don't discuss symptoms here and 3 month subscription or not there is nothing more we can do for you here.

We have advised you on the safer sex and the risks, testing and given you the guidelines for testing. There is nothing more we can do for you in this setting.

Move on with your life as normal and simply test at 6 and 13 weeks (3 months) post finishing PEP to confirm your negative HIV status. You only had a very minor risk to start with and have taken PEP.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 03:44:36 am »
Thank you

I know there is nothing more that you can do for me. The whole reason I purchased the 3 month subscription was to be able to document my post PEP waiting period on my thread for the following reasons:

1) I have no one else to talk to during this time of high anxiety.
2) To help anyone else who may be going through this now, or will subsequently go through this in the future.

Kind Regards

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 03:57:03 am »
Hi

Look this is not the place for you to document your post PEP time worries. We are volunteers that provide risk assessments here as a service, the rest of this forum is a support forum for people living with HIV and no offense but we simply have no interest in your ongoing worries and concerns when you should have none.

I mean it you simply should have none, you had a very low risk to start with and started PEP on time and were adherent.

I fully expect you to test negative when you do test if what you have said is correct. Simply live your life as normal test and than move on.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:14:03 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 04:47:44 am »
I appreciate your swift response.

I was under the impression that this forum is a support structure for both people living with hiv as well as people who may have been exposed to it, and thus require support?

If you as the site admins keep both threads separate ("Living with hiv" vs "Am I infected"), why are you so hostile to me seeking comfort in this thread? I would understand if I posted my story in the "I just tested Poz" forum, because then that would mean I posted in the wrong forum. But I am genuinely seeking counsel from this thread. I'm not going to be like every other user who documents each and every small "symptom", no. All i want to do is write about my milestones.

Believe it or not, there are many people who view this forum without ever signing up, and just by reading a story that is similar to what they are going through, they feel a sense of no longer being alone or anxious. 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 04:57:42 am »
Hi

The support we offer is limited for you to risk assessment and information on safer sex/testing guidelines, this has been provided.

Your milestones are as follows test at 13 weeks and move on with you life. That is it.
No drama in-between is needed and whatever you think you need to post about it is all in your head and for that you should seek face to face support.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:02:13 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 06:16:08 pm »
Hey Guys

Today has been a really tough day for me. I've just felt like crying the whole day. Ever since my last week of PEP, Iv developed a rash around my mouth. Iv also developed a swollen lymph node on the left-hand side of my neck plus a scratchy throat (I always need to clean phlegm from my throat) I'm pretty scared that this is the early stages of ARS. My rash is characterized as a consistent, non-bumpy dark color going around my mouth. Im one week post pep, and the rash and lymph node are still there.

I've started to prepare myself for a positive test result. As i mentioned in my first post, the woman I had an insertive vaginal condom break with turned out to be positive. I'm going to wait until the one month-post PEP date (December 20) to test again.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 07:06:28 pm »
There is no reason for you to presume or prepare to receive the news that you are HIV positive based on the ongoing facts of your story, as Jim has explained to you.  In addition to the high unlikelihood of your having been infected in the first place, you have undergone PEP treatment, which us highly effective.  I would expect that your upcoming HIV antibody test will indicate "negative" results.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 11:59:03 am »
I'm writing this as I'm about to go to the ER room to get a checkup from my doctor. My symptoms are speaking volumes right now. Iv got a rash around my mouth (characterized by darker skin around my mouth - no pumps or pimples, and it feels the same texture as my normal skin, but it's notable darker and it stands out). Iv also got a lymph node notably enlarged on the side of my neck (only one).

I need to seek medical advice on what's going on, I think it's ARS. Once again, thank you guys for all your assistance.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 12:33:41 pm »
I'm glad you are seeking a medical opinion on your symptoms in order for you to achieve peace of mind.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline HypeNess

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 03:58:16 pm »
Hey guys, just an update on where I am regarding my exposure. I am currently near the end of week 11-post-PEP, waiting until the end of week 12 to go for my confirmatory test. I did however go for rapid tests at week 6, 7 and 8. All three tests were negative. Do you recon week 12's test will remain negative? Thanks for all the support.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 04:06:12 pm »
Yes, I would fully expect your next results to be negative, not only because you went through PEP, but also because of the unlikelihood that you had a viable risk in the first place.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 01:55:18 am »
I agree with Patrick.

Ill add its not ARS, if you had ARS you would be producing antibodies and have tested positive already.

Now I had warned there is nothing more we can do for you here.

We have advised you on the safer sex and the risks, testing and given you the guidelines for testing. There is nothing more we can do for you in this setting.

Move on with your life as normal and simply test at 6 and 13 weeks (3 months) post finishing PEP to confirm your negative HIV status. You only had a very minor risk to start with and have taken PEP.

As you seem to be set on posting here despite having nothing to post about or change in what we have said I have given you a 28 day time out from posting. Focus on something else please. 

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.