Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:30:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 323
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Isentress+Truvada Vomiting  (Read 6840 times)

Offline indianguy1984

Isentress+Truvada Vomiting
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:17:06 am »
I went to work today and popped Isentress+Truvada at 10am. 1 hour later, I am starting to fell like puking. I didn't have breakfast - okay, just juice and a muesli bar.

By 12 noon, I am running to the toilet to puke - nothing comes out - just air. 1pm - I start to try to eat something.

It's now 6pm - even after eating, the thought of food makes me want to puke, my head hurts as well.

This is my first day on this combination. I can't quit because I bought 12 months supply of medication to save money.
Aug 2011 - Negative
Nov 2011 - ELISA+ve WB Indeterminate
Dec 2011 - CD4 472 VL 1868 copies/ml CD4% 27
Jan 2012 - CD4 577 VL 3575 copies/ml CD4% 27
Aug 2012 - CD4 551 VL 16156 copies/ml CD4% 21
Dec 2012 - CD4 522 VL 19600 copies/ml CD4% 23
My birthday - 30 Jan 2013 - Started Isentress+Truvada

Offline emeraldize

Re: Isentress+Truvada Vomiting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:04:54 pm »
So, the good news is, you didn't puke the dose, but it also wasn't fun.
Tomorrow morning, drop the juice and go with water. Muesli bar seems fine.

If you have more queasy stuff, call the doc or pharmacist and find out if you can get an anti-nausea med.

Experiment with what works well in your tummy. How about some oatmeal first, then the meds?

It's been my experience that anything acidic in the a.m. along with meds, like OJ or tea, can sometimes (infrequently) induce a wave of nausea.

You're also likely pre-psyched about this -- more than you might realize. I'm betting it will get better. Make sure you take enough water with your meds.

I'm on your regimen and I take it on an empty stomach or a full stomach without problems.

Offline Newguy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:13:51 pm »
Where did you buy a 12 month supply of this medication? Is it cheaper in other countries?

Offline indianguy1984

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:50 am »
NewGuy> Yeah it's cheaper for me - but I think for it is not worth it as you need to factor in travel and hotel for you. For me, in my country, I do not have a choice as the charges for medication where I live is nuts and no insurer covers for HIV. It's common for HIV patients where I am from to fly out to get their medications.

Em> Yeah, getting better today. Realized I need to eat something otherwise I'm going to get the nausea. My "lovely" doctor just told me to suck it up and stop whining. Sigh. Yeah, perhaps it's just experimenting which foods to eat.

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:06:30 am by indianguy1984 »
Aug 2011 - Negative

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:30:27 am »
Em> Yeah, getting better today. Realized I need to eat something otherwise I'm going to get the nausea. My "lovely" doctor just told me to suck it up and stop whining. Sigh. Yeah, perhaps it's just experimenting which foods to eat.

Thanks! :)

What a crummy thing to say to a patient!  Glad it's better today.  And, yes, experimenting helps. Think about laying down a blanket in your tummy for a pill to land on (the image makes it easier to take the time to sail food down first).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:42:57 am »
Hey Em, if I remember correctly, when you first started on this combo you coincidentally came down with some sort of bug or other. Makes me think that indianguy (hi there indianguy! :) ) maybe also just had something coincidental going on.

Funny enough, I came down with a coincidental bug within a day or two of starting my first combo too. I remembered your experience (Em) and just rode it out.

Good luck Indianguy. Hang in there and you'll do just fine.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:02:05 pm »
Hey Em, if I remember correctly, when you first started on this combo you coincidentally came down with some sort of bug or other. Makes me think that indianguy (hi there indianguy! :) ) maybe also just had something coincidental going on.

Funny enough, I came down with a coincidental bug within a day or two of starting my first combo too. I remembered your experience (Em) and just rode it out.

Good luck Indianguy. Hang in there and you'll do just fine.

You're absolutely right, Ann. I almost included that little story, but since he ralphed air and was able to make it to work I opted to not.  Boy, did that throw me.  I waited a number of months before starting. And, it's been hitchless since.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:17:26 pm »
hehehe... you said "ralphed air". Cracked me up for some reason. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:25:54 pm »
A lesser-used barf word -- glad it gotcha. I re-read your post, Ann (as I apparently sped-read) and thought how uncanny that you got a bug at the same time of initiating your regimen. Glad you rode it out.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 05:49:09 pm »
I was never big on Ralph ... I'm more of a drawn out Earl kind retch-er .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:00:59 pm »
Earl as in Hurl? or just Earl? 

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:43:34 pm »
I went to work today and popped Isentress+Truvada at 10am. 1 hour later, I am starting to fell like puking. I didn't have breakfast - okay, just juice and a muesli bar.

Don't take it on an empty stomach if it disagrees with your system.
I would suggest the following :

- take your truvada + isentress in the evening before bed, not in the morning
- for the morning dose (isentress only), try having at least some food

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:29 am »

I re-read your post, Ann (as I apparently sped-read) and thought how uncanny that you got a bug at the same time of initiating your regimen. Glad you rode it out.

I found out (a day or so after getting sick) that there happened to be a bug going around town at the time, so that helped squash any "OHEMGEE it's the meds!" thoughts that tried to creep into my consciousness. And they did try, I just told them to fuck off. :) (CBT is a wonderful thing!)

I actually had a few little "niggly" things (as in things that niggle away at the back of your mind, trying to worry you, but aren't all that horrendous) that went on when I first started, but I bided my time and refused to panic, and they all resolved eventually. I'll have to start a thread about it sometime.

I had so much time between diagnosis and starting meds (eleven years) that I pretty much knew what to expect (thanks to folks here), and knew that most things would be temporary, if niggly, glitches.

Indianguy, how are things going now that you've got nearly a week on treatment under your belt? We want an update! ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline indianguy1984

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:17 pm »
Yes, it's been a week. I don't have any side effects the initial Day 1 - No headache, nausea, nothing now. Call me paranoid but sometimes I think I may have bought myself fake medication or something because I am expecting some adverse reaction to happen  ;)

The funny part of it now - it isn't such a big deal being on medication - Just need to find the one that is right for you. I probably will do a viral load/CD4 test in a month to see just how it is working.

The original pills are not huge as I imagined -I didn't get the generic Truvada - because the size is bigger. I am wishing for a generic Isentress to come on board soon. It really sucks having to fly for 10-12 hours to buy medication - luckily, it's going to be a yearly affair.

Cheers everyone. :-*
Aug 2011 - Negative

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:55 am »
That's good news, Indianguy! Thanks for the update.

It's a good idea to have a full set of labs done one month into treatment. Don't just get your CD4s and VL done, get a CBC (complete blood count) and CS (chem screen) done as well. That's the standard of care in most places one month into treatment. You might want to read our Lesson called The Blood Tests You'll Need for further information.

Sometimes the "adverse reaction" you're wondering about can show up in the CBC or CS long before you feel the effects physically and that's why it's important to get those done as well. Not that I think you'll have an adverse reaction. You most likely won't, but get the CBC and CS done anyway. Better safe than sorry.

If all your lab results look good, you should repeat them again at the three month point after starting treatment. (ie eight weeks after your labs at one month). If things are still looking good, you should go again in three months time.

It's best to keep to a quarterly schedule (every three months) for at least the first year. After that you can think about going every four months, and after a couple years of being ok and UD, you can think about going every six months. For the time being though, quarterly is the way to go.

Throwing up after your first dose was probably just a coincidence, or perhaps brought on by the stress of taking your first dose of hiv meds. What's important is that it hasn't happened again.

Count your blessings that you're having an easy time of it, and keep on keeping on! :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.