Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:14:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773226
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 264
Total: 265

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Holy Shit, NO BRAKES!  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Holy Shit, NO BRAKES!
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:39:32 pm »
Well, there I was bored out of my mind after a minor out-patient surgery and decided to take the car out for a drive.  First gear, all right, second gear, all right... going faster.  Oh look, a STOP sign at the bottom of the hill on a blind turn.  Oops, the brakes aren't working... What if a family in a station wagon is out wine tasting?  One of those big propane trucks?  It is better to turn into the embankment, maybe a rock will be my brakes.  It did    ;D  Have the best day
Michael
(who technically wrecked in his driveway)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RapidRod

Re: Holy Shit, NO BRAKES!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:50:43 pm »
Lucky you Michael. Yaba Daba Doo.... :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:11:10 pm by RapidRod »

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:13:01 pm »
Hope you're safe. 

Is that an MG-B?  I used to be in love with those cars many years back.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 07:51:44 pm »
Glad you are OK

Nice car !

be well , Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Texan38

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 08:53:05 pm »
See what happens when you don't lube!

::)
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:13:05 pm »
You have probably seen Nicolas Gage flying a Shelby Cobra over the cars on the Vincent St. Thomas Bridge.  That scene is BS, he never went through the toll booth, went from the Naval station, under the air port runway from the Henry Ford Bridge, originating at International Towers condos.  What does this have to do with me?  Ever so glad you asked...

The MGB is a 79 model, I am the second owner.  It was my gift to myself when I got my AIDS diagnosis.  I was not expecting either the car or me to last 5 years and I saw it from a bus window in a used lot in Long Beach.  I drove home that day and two days later, I was crossing the Vincent St. Thomas Bridge with the top down and the stereo playing "Rule Britania" and the temp gauge hit the HOT zone.  You can not stop on the bridge so I ran into San Pedro way over heated.

I called the guys at British American or European.  They have been repairing and restoring British cars for over 30 years in the same San Pedro location.  Which is just down the street from the 5 & Dime Sharon Tate worked at  before she became a star.

Back to my story... Three days after purchase, I had the motor rebuilt using the original block.   We also upgraded the cooling system and over the next few months, rewired, rebuilt and replaced almost everything electrical and then started on rally suspension.

My little English Teapot has proudly broken down on every turnout on I-5 and the 101 for over 500 miles (both ways).  I am often left to creative abilities to get from point A to Point B and for most trips traveled with my dog.

I broke down on the 101 a few months ago.  Having spent the bay on the Bay in Marin with close friends and a lovely lunch.  On the way home, the drive shaft broke.  Remember this car is 31 years old and a daily driver.  I was on Highway at the Sonoma County line, the CHP had the car towed, it was impounded.  The officer said the tow company would probably take payments and the charges would not be that much.  Withing 3 days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday) the charges were just over $1500.00 and it was cash in full or it would be auctioned off at a lien sale.

I wrote a letter to the tow company and the Office of the California Highway Patrol.  The Highway Patrol called offering to pay my charges in full and they did.  The entire $1500 in towing and storage charges were paid on my behalf because (their story)  "The door of every patrol car is owned by the people of California and on that door the word SERVICE is displayed, Service is not dropping a citizen off at a Bus stop in the middle of the night, you should have been driven home."  If you believe that... (My Story)  The car broke down on a 2 lane highway, was parked safely and legally.  I had 4 days before the car was required to be moved.  I was about a mile from the freeway where I would have had only 1 hour to move it, someone got greedy and were made to pay for it.

Now, all is left is to find 1 Rostyle wheel to match the others and the parts distributors don't offer them any more.  There are aftermarket parts dealerships in the US and you can get new parts and if a customer should choose, build an entire car.  Here in the Sonomabeach Mountain Cabin, I am thinking about a Craigslist ad offering sex to anyone who can rebuild a Zenith Stromberg   ;D  Have the best day
Michael 

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:07:31 am »
Oh ..................sounds like a SAAB story!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline john33

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:31:46 am »
owww ;D

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:43:14 am »
That reminds me why I loved the MG-B from afar,  but never took the plunge.

They do look cool though.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 02:25:24 pm »
Glad you were not hurt.

I love your car.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 06:08:16 pm »
And nobody likes a Saab Story better un me.  I imagine the Saab has been picked through and crushed by now... Gosh, I liked that car it was a good $500 car with options.  When a car costs more than it's worth to repair, it is Pickn' Pull.  The Whale Gusher Chrysler LeBaron convertible would have gone there also but a mechanic from far away bought it.   $500 was what I paid for it and both those cars gave the MGB a rest in the carport.

For my mechanical abilities, I stand a better chance with the classic British cars in getting from point A to Point B because I travel with the repair manual, some tools, a big jack and a little phone.  I can figure things out, not like the Saab breaking down in Napa and Tim coming to get me.

I have had one other car since I had gotten my HIV... I had a 1989 Sunbird GT Turbo convertible.  It was the perfect Southern California car but gotten towed, impounded and I couldn't afford the fees.  It's name was "Miss Texas".  I went to the banks and to the shady car money guys on Long Beach Blvd and ended up losing that one.

Having never gone to any meeting, I have been on the membership roster of the North Bay British Car Club for 10 years and the Southern California MG Club for about 12 years.  I sent an email to the NorCal to find a replacement wheel (hopefully 4 in restoration condition).  The tire is a nice Pirelli (part of a set).  The spare is a brand new 10 year old tire which has never been on the car.  It goes flat in the trunk.  I ordered a tube, and the brake part/ kit, UPS will deliver on Tuesday.  There are 3 or 4 authentic parts distributors who has all bought some of the equipment from the MG factory so a person could possibly build a complete car from the parts list.  I like the one in Santa Barbara the best, because they all drive MG cars and their sales staff can and does give technical advice.  The car is 31 years old but fairly easy to keep on the road.

Here I am a happy, good looking, single gay man in a mountain cabin on the Russian River, who drives an old sports car... Life doesn't get any better than this it is great to have you guys as friends   ;D  Have the best day
Michael 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.