Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:57:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 448
Total: 450

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP and living/studying abroad  (Read 6273 times)

Offline nickchicago

ADAP and living/studying abroad
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:21:55 pm »
Hey guys,
I'm working on completing a degree in History and French and am wanting to study abroad for a semester.  I am not on meds yet but will probably be soon, so of course I wasn't sure if my goal would be feasible.
I saw my doctor today, and he said ADAP sends your meds in the mail.  So I could either have them mailed to family and have them mail them to me in France or Quebec, or he said it might even be possible for them to ship them to me directly if I was out of the country (studying, you know, not a bonne voyage!).
So I'm curious what anyone knows about shipping aids meds from the States into France or Canada?  Anyone have any experience with ADAP and living or studying abroad?  Would the EU and Canada give someone a hard time?  Is it legal?  Would they turn the other way?  And what is the probability they would be seized anyways if they weren't marked as medicine?  any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks guys!
a bientot! :)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: ADAP and living/studying abroad
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:38:27 pm »
Off the top of my head I'd say having ADAP ship your meds (actually it would be your pharmacy, not ADAP itself... ADAP just pays the pharmacy) would set off red flags and not work.  All state ADAP's always are worried about out-of-state people leaching off their benefits, as they vary from state to state and are not federal, though they all receive some federal funds.  Anytime I've even just moved 7 blocks from another location I have to jump hurdles to change my address (fill out a form, provide copies of utility bills, etc.... some states probably make you do a lot more).

Now, if you're only gone for a semester and can swing the same meds with  refills done every 3 months AND your family and/or a friend live in the same state you could conceivably have them sign for your HIV meds when delivered, then turn around and ship them to you.  I don't think I'd actually tell ADAP I was doing that though.  Technically I'm sure they could say you're not a resident so you're not covered.

However, if there IS some kind of waiver for this type of situation your local ASO should know -- ask them and do not ask your state ADAP office directly.  If there is no waiver then do the family/friend route.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline azprince

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:43:16 pm »
Off the top of my head I'd say having ADAP ship your meds (actually it would be your pharmacy, not ADAP itself... ADAP just pays the pharmacy) would set off red flags and not work.  All state ADAP's always are worried about out-of-state people leaching off their benefits, as they vary from state to state and are not federal, though they all receive some federal funds.  Anytime I've even just moved 7 blocks from another location I have to jump hurdles to change my address (fill out a form, provide copies of utility bills, etc.... some states probably make you do a lot more).

Now, if you're only gone for a semester and can swing the same meds with  refills done every 3 months AND your family and/or a friend live in the same state you could conceivably have them sign for your HIV meds when delivered, then turn around and ship them to you.  I don't think I'd actually tell ADAP I was doing that though.  Technically I'm sure they could say you're not a resident so you're not covered.

However, if there IS some kind of waiver for this type of situation your local ASO should know -- ask them and do not ask your state ADAP office directly.  If there is no waiver then do the family/friend route.

When you get your Meds from Adap can you get a quantity enough for more than one month? what is the maximum amount of refills they will dispense for you each time?
I was thinking about the same scenario in case I needed to travel ( currently I have a private insurance but soon will switch to ADAP and was wondering how many refills I can get in advance, can you please clarify
Thanks
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:37:14 pm »
I was actually thinking about teaching English abroad for a while and was wondering if I would be permitted to travel if I was known to be HIV+ and how I would receive my meds.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.