Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:40:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 598
Total: 598

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Struggling to accept neg results!  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Manny

Struggling to accept neg results!
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:28:40 pm »
Heres my story!Had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman of unknown status which involed cut on head of manhood.
After aprrox 7 days started to feel unwell, symptoms as follows:

Day 7 - Nodes in groin & neck start to enlarge.
Day 8 - Nausea
Day 10 - Weakness in legs.
2 weeks - Slight fever & chills.Headaches.Red sunburn like rash on stomach/back neck & face.Total loss of appetite & uncomfortable feeling under ribcage.Excessive urinating.Pain/numbness in legs.Vivid dreams.Eyes sensitive to light.Rapid weight loss.Mouth ulcers & blood blisters.Very soft stools/diarrhea & excess wind.White/burning tongue.Dizziness.Loss of coordination(bumping in to things).General fatigue & feeling like complete & utter shit!

Approx 6 weeks felt aches/pains & glands started to swell all over body in weird places & got this feeling of adrenalin running through veins & felt capable of running a marathon.This only lasted a few days but my weight stared to increase again over the next week or so.Then went back to feeling like crap gain.

Today some 18 weeks past exposure still have a lot of the above symptoms although have subsided a little.The most troublesome symptom has been the pain/numbness in legs/feet with the feeling of always needing to pass water as well as constant irregular bowel movements. 

Went to local clinic & had the following tests:

4th gen Elisa & p24 - Syphilis - Hepatitis - Chlamydia - Gonorrhea
10 days -
6 weeks
8 weeks
13 weeks

Rapid test
18 weeks

Full blood count
8 weeks
14 weeks

Everthing has shown negative or normal.If the symptoms would go away I could accept the negative results & move on.Just cant help thinking I'm going to be a late seroconverter.Is is possible for the virus to hide in the lymph system & therefore not be detected in the blood? I've also had reiters syndrome in the past, which has a strong link to HLA B27, would this make any difference to serocoversion timeline?

Thanks
Manny

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Struggling to accept neg results!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 12:34:02 pm »
Discuss your symptoms with your doctor. This is not an HIV situation. You have reliably tested negative. Period. End of story.

Learn from this experience and make sure that in the future you always wear a condom when you have vaginal or anal intercourse. NO EXCEPTIONS!

You are worrying needlessly about your problem being HIV. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 11:52:44 am »
Thanks for your reply Andy.
I already knew what the answer would be.Its just difficult to accept & move on especially when still experincing strong symptoms.Been to see my Doc & has arranged to be refferred to a urologist even though he doubts anything will show up.I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again
Manny

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:00:05 pm »
Hello again.I'm really struggling with these ongoing symptoms.
Fatigue/aches & pains/red rashes on stomach/needing to urinate a lot more than normal/pains in legs/weight loss in face/diorehhea/soft stools/blood blisters & ulcers in mouth/ear pains.
I can have a few days to a week of feeling generally ok doing normal activities & then bang all the above come on strong & hard,last a while before easing.Its just one big never ending rollercoaster.I tell myself its not HIV you've been tested (4th gen antibody/p24) out to 18 weeks but HIV seems like the only feasible explanation.

I'm still waiting to see a urologist.
I was in pretty good health prior to this exposure.
I'm totally lost & don't know where to turn or what do next!
Is is possible for the virus to hide in the lymph system & not be detected in blood?
I feel as if all I can do is have another test?

Any advice please
Manny.     

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:45 pm »
You've already been advised that you don't have HIV. See your doctor for your concerns they are unrelated to HIV. If you cannot accept your negative result seek professional mental help.

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 06:13:55 am »
Couldn't wait any longer.
Saw a private sameday doctor & had another 4th gen & p24 duo this morning.
Can collect the results either Sat afternoon or Monday morning.Not sure if I want to spoil my weekend so I might wait until Monday.
I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks
Manny

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:57:17 am »
Spoil the weekend? Given what you have written you're obviously thinking about this a lot of the time. And you're going to collect another negative result unless there is some other risk you haven't reported. Pick up your result and get that over with is my suggestion.

You are HIV negative.

Whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV even if your mind is telling you otherwise.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 10:11:14 am »
Thanks Andy/Rod
No I haven't had any other exposures since the original 19 weeks ago.
I keep telling myself - believe in the negative results buts its so hard given the ongoing strong symptoms with no other explanation given to this point.Plus my reiters syndrome is starting to flare up again which again is closely linked to HIV.I just hope this is some mystery virus which will hopefully pass in the course of time.Anyway heres keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks
Manny

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 08:17:33 am »
Just to let you know.
I thankfully tested negative again at 19 weeks.I'm thinking its now time to pursue other avenues to the cause of these ongoing symptoms.
I will test one last time at 6 months for my own peace of mind.

Thanks for your support & advice.

Manny

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 08:36:09 am »
You're HIV negative. Period. End of story. Every generation of test currently in use gives a reliable result at 13 weeks.

You can re-test at 6 months if you insist. It's a waste of money and resources and only perpetuates your unwarranted fears during the waiting period.

Give it up and get on with your life is what I suggest.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.