Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:35:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 632
Total: 632

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduction - Stressful times  (Read 4060 times)

Offline s.papadas1

Introduction - Stressful times
« on: August 15, 2020, 09:36:53 am »
Hello to all. I am already on medication.
11 December 2019 first medicine with a start at VL 25.000 and CD4 278
05 February VL 25 and CD4 478. Next test is expected on October. I have been  extremely careful with the timing of my medicine to the level of a minute! My goal has been to be as healthy as possible. But I’ve been stressed on a daily basis with what will happen if for some reason I need to be hospitalised ? What if I have a car accident and wake up after a week in hospital. I will have missed my medication and probably my status will have been shared. NOBODY knows and I have nobody to share my fears with....your thoughts will be useful

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Introduction - Stressful times
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 10:50:22 am »
Hiya,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
Sounds like treatment wise you are doing great, already UD that's fantastic.

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling stressed, you're not alone though and we are here for you if you ever need to talk, vent or have questions.

But I’ve been stressed on a daily basis with what will happen if for some reason I need to be hospitalised ?

Well, I've been in hospital over the years for different things, what happens depends on what they need to do to treat you. I'm not sure what the concern is?

What if I have a car accident and wake up after a week in hospital. I will have missed my medication and probably my status will have been shared. NOBODY knows and I have nobody to share my fears with....your thoughts will be useful

Okay so based on my own experience, if you have an accident and are out cold for a week you will miss your meds and they will treat you for your injuries. If your charts have your meds on file they will know about your HIV status and if not well then they will not...Anyhow regardless once you are ready to leave you will restart treatment.

If you are in hospital but not out cold for a longer stay you can let them know what medication you are taking and either they will ask you to take a treatment break or you will continue treatment during your stay.

Try not to overthink these things, being newly diagnosed is a lot to digest and many of us imagined the worst or these "what if" scenarios but in reality it's seldom a real issue. 

Jim
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:53:13 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 11:08:38 am »
I have nobody to share my fears with

Well I'm here and so are the other members living with HIV. ;)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline s.papadas1

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 03:03:52 pm »
I am so grateful already for the response. It’s reassuring. Indeed I overthink over things. I have always been in control of my life and this is the first time I am not. I have had the chance of great education and career and this has been a harsh to me.

I have always been decisive and determined to the point that I very very quickly adapted to my new situation without any concern or fear and with firmness that could make many feel jealous. However, as time progressed, I started developing this extreme obsession over my status being exposed while being comatose. Or losing my medication while in hospital and developing huge adherence. I know it might sound crazy and probably i need to see a psychologist.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 03:44:15 pm »
 :)

I have always been in control of my life and this is the first time I am not.

You are still in control of your life. The odds always were live long enough and at some point you would acquire or develop some or multiple manageable illnesses. You have reached that moment in your life, now you have control as you can treat it and choose not let it dictate the rest of your life.

However, as time progressed, I started developing this extreme obsession over my status being exposed while being comatose. Or losing my medication while in hospital and developing huge adherence. I know it might sound crazy and probably i need to see a psychologist.

Realistically if you ever do end up having to stop HIV treatment in Hospital temporarily due to medical treatment it's not an issue.  As for being comatosed I think this in itself is a rare engough issue to worry about but even if it did happen then HIV treatment would be the least of your concerns ,although, if it's long enough for you to reach an AIDS stage they will notice and start testing and treating.

I know it might sound crazy and probably i need to see a psychologist.

I've heard far more extreme concerns from people both newly diagnosed and Living with HIV over the years, including someone who thought his meds was making his legs shrink ... So crazy, no far from it, but I do think you so need some support, friends and perhaps some reassurance  ;)

Face to face support like a therapist, peer support or a psychologist are also support options, none of them would mean you are crazy. 

Jim

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 03:47:26 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline s.papadas1

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 06:44:55 pm »
Thanks so much Jim. Already i feel i did the right thing registering myself here.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.