Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 339
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stuff To Do in D. C.  (Read 86789 times)

Offline Basquo

Stuff To Do in D. C.
« on: January 03, 2012, 08:03:09 am »
I'm starting this thread So we don't get too derailed on the Hotel thread...please post thoughts on and links to fun and interesting things to do in the Washington D.C. area.

This is one of my favorite things from when I was younger:  http://www.si.edu/

And I'm looking forward to the food, as usual!!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Stuff To Do in D. C.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »

This is one of my favorite things from when I was younger:  http://www.si.edu/

And I'm looking forward to the food, as usual!!

oh yes, the Smith is a MUST see! above all others.

A couple good standbys are the National Aquarium http://www.aqua.org/index.html in Baltimore which has MEtro service from DC. . Entry is $25, or $8 on friday evenings.

and the National Zoo (yay PANDAS!) http://nationalzoo.si.edu/default.cfm (free admission)

Ive seen the zoo and it is pretty cool. Always wanted to see the aquarium.

-Will
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:46:23 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:29:08 pm »
A few great restaurants to check out:

The Monocle Restaurant
http://themonocle.com/

Art and Soul DC
http://www.artandsouldc.com/

Circa at Dupont
http://www.circaatdupont.com/

Open City (located right by Woodley Park/Adams Morgan Metro station)
http://www.opencitydc.com/

The World Famous Billy Goat Tavern (DC Location) - on New Jersey St. - low prices, great drinks
http://www.billygoattavern.com/

Gay Bar/Grill:
JR's Bar and Grill (Dupont)
http://washingtondc.gaycities.com/bars/566-jrs-bar-grill

Definitely have to go to the Smithsonian -
and make sure to check out National Museum of African Art (a Smithsonian facility) - I just renewed my membership (can we say, 10% off all purchases, including food?  Yeah, buddy)
http://africa.si.edu/

More to come ---

Phil D (who absolutely loves Washington D.C.)

Edited to add Smithsonian Museum of African Art (was there in November and it was awesome)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:40:25 pm by phildinftlaudy »
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »
I absolutely love the United States National Arboretum.  We can get private group tours and they also have a moonlight tour. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:41:48 pm »
Too bad the Chesapeake House is no longer there.  (9th and H NW).  Those boys sure knew how to shake it... but the problem is you really did not want to be near stage because distance and darkness really did a lot for them. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 04:03:06 pm »
If you want a slice of local legend, head to Ben's Chili Bowl like all of the politicians do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben's_Chili_Bowl

ps: now that Commander Salamander closed a couple years ago the entire city is a mere ghost of it's former self

And this is a bit geeky of me I realize, but for something off the beaten path but always easy to get to physically, the Map Room of the Library of Congress often has interesting exhibits.  Also, if you find yourself in the vicinity of Ford's Theatre, around the corner is the often overlooked National Portrait Gallery (part of Smithsonian, just not on the Mall with the majority of the buildings). They did a lovely enclosure/renovation with a glass curtain-wall undulating roof by Norman Foster a few years ago and it would provide a nice respite from any hot weather before continuing on elsewhere. It's at Eighth and F Streets, NW

Oh, by the way, if you've not familiar with the way addresses are done in quadrants, or how numbered versus lettered streets are done and overlaid on state named boulevards do yourself a favor and learn it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »
Oh, by the way, if you've not familiar with the way addresses are done in quadrants, or how numbered versus lettered streets are done and overlaid on state named boulevards do yourself a favor and learn it.

That is good advice. 

Also if you venture to the fringes of the city and want to kinda know how far you are from the center, a general rule is that streets with one syllable names are closer in than two syllable and three.  (Cumberland Street NW would be much farther out than C street NW).  Typically the street names run through the alphabet so you would expect Porter Street to be closer to the city center than Lowell.  These rules do have exceptions but are useful if you are new to the area.  Oh and if you drive there... please remember that people already in the circle have the right of way.  That is a rule that changes from state to state and let me tell you... the DC drivers dont mind hitting your ass.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:19:30 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:14:40 pm »
.  Oh and if you drive there... please remember that people already in the circle have the right of way.  That is a rule that changes from state to state and let me tell you... the DC drivers dont mind hitting your ass.

that all sounds very confusing. I think we will leave the driving up to Gary. SHOTGUN!.  I got caught in one of those circles in New Hampshire, and since they are unheard of in Texas I was stunned at what was happening, I went around like 8 times before I got the balls to make a run for an exit, by that time I was so dizzy that I missed the exit and drove over the island taking out the suspension of the rental car we were driving.

Good times.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:31:01 pm »
they are unheard of in Texas I was stunned at what was happening

Barbara please -- we even have them in rural areas. Get with the program.

Oh, and in Killadelphia we have Logan Square, which we also call Logan Circle, because it's a traffic circle within a square park :)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »
I have seen them in Colorado, but they are very confusing.

It all sounds wonderful.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 11:23:29 pm »
I guess I won't be driving.  I don't even know what you guys are talking about.  If I do, I'll either take the F250, Crew Cab Ram, or any other functional trucks that will automatically give me the right of way.  They really don't want to fight a Ram with a beamer do they?  I'll take a right of way when I need.  Or, I'll just fly now that I'm no longer afraid.  Already done the research, and it still amazes me that flying is cheaper than driving.....and I'm certain it's quicker.  Hell, I can air the shocks up in the S10 and freak them all out.  They'd look at that thing and assume it's not insured.  Another way of getting a right of way.

Wolfie

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 07:28:03 am »
Traffic circles (roundabouts for our friends across the pond) are not all that difficult to navigate.  Although, when you have to go into them the wrong way like the British do, it can get a little hairy.  Just put your big girl panties on and you will all do fine.

M

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 09:03:28 am »
 8)

Ed and I are seriously talking about going. ( It's been quite awhile , since we drove in Washinton DC),  And we will be driving.  We will be doing the same as we did earlier this summer and taking the auto train to Lorton, VA

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 09:13:54 am »
8)

Ed and I are seriously talking about going. ( It's been quite awhile , since we drove in Washinton DC),  And we will be driving. 

Ray

Same here Ray, we will be driving to D.C. from ABQ, we did the math, and to fly it's about the same money-wise, the only difference between flying, we would get there a lot faster, it will take us about
2 days, but it will be FUN taking I-40 all the way to VA. (unless Bob changes his mind) sometimes we agree just to disagree , however I'm sure we'll come to some agreement by then, (I'm still working on him)  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:01 am »
I plan to drive there.  My only dilemma is that I am also going on a cruise for my birthday this year (early Aug) and funds will be tight.  I plan to attend but will be staying with friends to offset the costs.  Its just a little over one tank of gas for me to get there from here so I am sure I can swing that part.

Offline denb45

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 09:55:19 am »
I plan to drive there.  My only dilemma is that I am also going on a cruise for my birthday this year (early Aug)

James I didn't know that you were a Leo, I love Leo's, your a strong person, and can take most anything life throws your way, Mark is a Leo, your such nice people to know, always kind, punctual and cordial ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline aztecan

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:19 am »
Well, I don't know about punctual , , ,  ;)

I am taking Amtrak to DC. I know that will come as a surprise to nobody, but I thought I would throw that out

I have already printed the map with the metro route from Union Station to the hotel. It sounds and looks simple.

Now, I am going to research some gluten-free friendly restaurants.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 10:46:24 am »
Hey Mark, keep me informed of your plans.  Your train might be passing through these parts (or pert near) and I might choose to join you.  Wonder if they serve any lavendar drinks?

Wolfie

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 10:59:21 am »
Well, I don't know about punctual , , ,  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Well I haven't officially met you just yet, but I 'think I'm spot on about Mark  ;)

Amtrak sounds like fun, do they still have sleeper-cars , and how many day(s)
will it take to get to VA. I'm interested, guess I better do some goggling on this
subject :D

Offline wolfter

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 11:07:30 am »
Well I haven't officially met you just yet, but I 'think I'm spot on about Mark  ;)

Amtrak sounds like fun, do they still have sleeper-cars , and how many day(s)
will it take to get to VA. I'm interested, guess I better do some goggling on this
subject :D

It takes 2 days.  I checked to see how close that route comes through my parts.  Heck of a lot cheaper than flying.  Maybe we just rent one sleeper car....lol

Wolfie

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 12:23:53 pm »
since they are unheard of in Texas I was stunned at what was happening
yes, traffic circles are definitely not a Southern thing. I never saw one before until I was in Ohio. However, we actually have two circles in my area though right now - but they are within a shopping plaza area (which must have been designed by Yankees LOL)

Its just a little over one tank of gas for me to get there from here so I am sure I can swing that part.
I'm trying to work things out to attend also. Perhaps you and I can hook up for that ride North  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 03:28:33 pm »
If you're driving up from the south, and if you've never been, you might enjoy spending a day in Williamsburg/Jamestown.

If you're driving in from points west a stop to see Monticello would be enjoyable.

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 09:37:49 pm »
Tours in D.C. : The White House

Public tours of the White House are available for groups of 4 or more people. For groups smaller than 4, we will make every effort to combine the request with other groups but we cannot guarantee availability.

Requests are accepted by our office up to six months in advance, but no less then two months in advance. These self-guided walking tours of the East Wing are available Tuesday through Saturday (excluding federal holidays) and take approximately 45 minutes to complete.

We encourage you to submit your request as early as possible since a limited number of tours are available. For the most current tour information, please call the 24-hour line at (202) 456-7041. Please note that White House tours may be subject to last minute cancellation.

Please Note:

A two months advance notice is required.
Requests may be submitted up to 6 months in advance
Requests for a White House tour MUST include Security Information.
New restrictions implemented by the U.S. Secret Service require security information to be submitted for every person requesting a tour of the White House. If you are submitting a request to tour the White House, you will need to submit every group member's first name, full middle name, last name, date of birth, Social Security Number, US Citizenship (y/n), country of citizenship (for non-US citizens), gender, and city and state of current residence.

If there is any security information missing from your request, we will be unable to submit the White House tour request, and no tour will not be granted.

Please keep in mind that the security information submitted for each group member must match his or her government identification presented upon entering the White House.

Due to the volume of requests, the White House is often fully booked several months in advance.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 09:59:11 pm »
Anyone driving up from the South -- I am about 1 mile off Rt. 95 in Richmond (exit 83B).  Depending on timing, as I plan to attend too, perhaps you can swing by for a break and a dip in the pool.

It sounds so far away, but will be here before you know it.  Especially for me -- a very busy year for travels and the wedding in September!

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 10:18:51 pm »
Anyone driving up from the South -- I am about 1 mile off Rt. 95 in Richmond (exit 83B).  Depending on timing, as I plan to attend too, perhaps you can swing by for a break and a dip in the pool.

Goodness gracious -- I was just at the Bill's BBQ on Boulevard a week ago :) You're really out in the burbs girl, at least I had an address in Shockoe Bottom.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:51 am »
Goodness gracious -- I was just at the Bill's BBQ on Boulevard a week ago :) You're really out in the burbs girl, at least I had an address in Shockoe Bottom.

Well one wouldn't really be surprised to hear that you were a Bottom queen.......

While I always loved living in a "city" -- Richmond hardly qualifies.  The nice part of the 'burbs' -- I always have a place to park and I get to have a pool in the backyard.  So, next time you are in the area, let me know -- pool is open from mid-April thru mid-Oct.

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 07:57:08 pm »

Mike

oh Granny, Outside of AMG I am usually in Fredericksburg once or twice a year.. maybe I can stop by sometime :) and we can knit or do grandma stuff.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 10:07:03 pm »
oh Granny, Outside of AMG I am usually in Fredericksburg once or twice a year.. maybe I can stop by sometime :) and we can knit or do grandma stuff.

You would always be welcome here...  only about 45 mins away -- and seriously only a mile or so off the highway.  Bring that speedo I hear you own....   :-X

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:46 pm »
From today's Washington Post: Guide to Cheap Eats in DC

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »
From today's Washington Post: Guide to Cheap Eats in DC

"Burma Road" looks yumm-yumm!

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 08:53:35 pm »
"Burma Road" looks yumm-yumm!

Girl please -- I know you want that cheeseburger from chef Danny Meyer's Shake Shack (plus it's just a block south of Dupont Circle). All the rage in NYC for the past 7 years! We're finally getting our first one in Filthy this year.

You can also go to Bobby Flay's Burger Palace at 2121 K Street, NW for a taste contest, five blocks from Shake Shack.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:00:06 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »
Girl please -- I know you want that cheeseburger from chef Danny Meyer's Shake Shack (plus it's just a block south of Dupont Circle). All the rage in NYC for the past 7 years! We're finally getting our first one in Filthy this year.

We've got a Shake Shack on South Beach here - it is great - so, I will have to check it out when in D.C.

Also, the Billy Goat Tavern - which I mentioned in earlier post - is the chain (started in Chicago) where Saturday Night Live's "Cheezborger! Cheezborger! No fries, cheeps! No Pepsi, Coke!"? was born.... I ate and drank there when I was in D.C. in November and their burgers are pretty good (simple, but good). Cozy little place to have a drink and close to the Capital (Judiciary Square Metro or Union Station) - on New Jersey Ave. http://billygoattavern.com/
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline aztecan

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:50 pm »
Hey Gang,

I have been doing some research and I came up with a few eating establishments that are gluten-free friendly.

Anyone know anything about any of these?

Bertucci's (Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom),

Legal Seafoods (Chinatown),

Morton's (Downtown and Georgetown),

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (Downtown and Dupont Circle),

Uno Chicago Grill (Union Station).

And, by region:

DOWNTOWN:

The Capital Grille

Jaleo 

Zengo

CHINATOWN:

Oyamel Cocina Mexicana

Zaytinya                                     

WOODLEY PARK:

Lebanese Taverna

And don't forget about the CUPCAKE scene in DC:

COLUMBIA HEIGHTS:

Sticky Fingers Bakery

DUPONT CIRCLE:

Hello Cupcake

Red Velvet Cupcakery

PENN QUARTER

Red Velvet Cupcakery

And someone else suggested:

Pete's APizza

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »
Hi Mark:
A bunch of the one's you have listed are national chains and not specific to D.C.; however, I did go through your list and put some info about the ones that I know about --- See bold highlights below:

Bertucci's (Dupont Circle and Foggy Bottom), - chain restaurant - good food and reasonable prices, they do get fairly crowded, so expect a bit of a wait (especially for dinner)

Legal Seafoods (Chinatown), - chain restaurant - I haven't been to the one in D.C. - but the one in Fort Lauderdale (Sawgrass Mills Mall) is pretty good - I'm not a big fan

Morton's (Downtown and Georgetown), chain restaurant - the Chicago original - extremely pricey - great steaks, but be prepared to pay around $60 per person  (and that's if you only have one drink) - very distinguished crowd - but not a D.C. powermover crowd, as they are more likely to be at Capital Grille or one of the many well known neighborhood steakhouses (i.e. The Monocle)

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (Downtown and Dupont Circle), - chain restaurant - great steaks and seafood - but also very pricey - about the same cost as Morton's (maybe slightly less) - and not as pretentious of a crowd - more "homelike."

Uno Chicago Grill (Union Station). - standard pizza chain restaurant - unique pizza - people either love it or hate it - it is one of the many restaurants in Union Station - The Center Cafe is actually a better place to eat and you can sit above the floor area and look out from all directions across the rotunda of the station (ate there in November) - if you check out the link, it gives a good perspective of the restaurant: http://www.unionstationdc.com/store/center-cafe-restaurant/2137040097/2138814770; another good one is Thunder Grill (gets a large crowd, but has plenty of seating  slightly pricey); Potbelly's is good for sandwiches (not sure if they have a gluten free menu or not)

And, by region:

DOWNTOWN:

The Capital Grille - chain restaurant - used to draw a very distinguished crowd and was the place to see and be seen - but has lost a lot of that as the franchise has grown (The Monocle is a DC staple where you almost always run into a Senator/Congressperson, etc.) - VERY EXPENSIVE - last time boss and I ate there (she was paying) the tab for two of us (with no alcoholic drinks) including tip was $160. A la carte for any items you want other then the steak that is on your plate (with average steak running around $45 and sides from $8-$10 each: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menus/D3_DinnerA.pdf

Jaleo  - don't know anything about

Zengo - don't know anything about

CHINATOWN:

Oyamel Cocina Mexicana - don't know anything about

Zaytinya                                     

WOODLEY PARK: - great area, lots of good restaurants to satisfy most any palate; http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/7/654/DC/Woodley-Park-restaurants

Lebanese Taverna - don't know anything about; I've been to Open City and liked it - great enclosed patio dining experience

And don't forget about the CUPCAKE scene in DC:

COLUMBIA HEIGHTS:

Sticky Fingers Bakery

DUPONT CIRCLE:

Hello Cupcake

Red Velvet Cupcakery

PENN QUARTER

Red Velvet Cupcakery

And someone else suggested:

Pete's APizza - I've heard of Pete's but have never eaten there - looks interesting: http://petesapizza.com/vegetarian_vegan_gluten-free.html

Don't know anything about the cupcake places - I'm not a big sweet eater   ;)

List of restaurants located in Union Station (I am going to include this on a separate post also):
http://www.unionstationdc.com/Restaurants
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 04:51:58 pm »
Plenty of great restaurants and "grab a bite" joints located in Union Station (all of the Metro trains go to the station):

http://www.unionstationdc.com/Restaurants

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 05:41:52 pm »
I would not call the Capitol Grille a chain restaurant.  When I lived in DC area (1990-1994) it was one of my favorite late night places.  There was a cheaper "pub" menu and one of the memorable items was their burger.  One time I sat next the George Stephanapolous at the bar around 11:30 at night.  One frequently spots White House staff there.  The dinner menu is pricey though....
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:26 pm »
We have a Capital Grille here in Philly, directly across from the Ritz Carlton and City Hall. However, I'd never eat there. Talk about a lack of creativity on the menu. Reminds of a hotel restaurant, though upper end.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 05:58:33 pm »
I would not call the Capitol Grille a chain restaurant. 

I guess I see restaurants that have more than 20 or so restaurants in multiple states chain restaurants - doesn't mean that it isn't good food - but judging by the map the CG has locations in a great many states and cities - with multiple locations in some cities...  Back in the early 90s, I would definitely not have categorized it as a chain - it has lost a bit of its "originality" and "distinguishability" (is that even a word - lol) since it greatly expanded.
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2009/03/16/daily58.html

Not that it is a "reliable" source, but wikipedia uses the same term to describe the restaurant. Also, it is owned by Darden Restaurants - they also own and operate Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, Bahama Breeze, and Seasons52.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Capital_Grille
http://www.darden.com/

http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/locations/Main.asp

Edited to add appropriate links
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:43:25 pm by phildinftlaudy »
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 06:08:47 pm »
BTW, I think I could give some of the finer steakhouses a run for their money....
Tonight's dinner...
A 16 ounce T-Bone steak - seasoned and marinated for 19 hours, then broiled, served with perfectly sauteed onions and mushrooms on top, with seasoned, steamed green peas, and macaroni and cheese.  YUM YUM.  I think this would go for about $65-$70 at one of D.C.'s finer steakhouses   ;D

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline denb45

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 10:05:13 pm »
Hey Gang,

I have been doing some research and I came up with a few eating establishments that are gluten-free friendly.

Oh Mark, that sounds like fun, I've never had gluten-free, and with the gutt- issues I already have, it sure couldn't hurt, we'll have to go gluten-free eatery hopping in D.C. .....looking forward to it  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 02:40:34 pm »
for you techy girls, you might be interested in downloading this app for getting around DC. It comes in both iPhone and Android versions:

http://letsembark.com/#features

Offline denb45

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »
for you techy girls, you might be interested in downloading this app for getting around DC. It comes in both iPhone and Android versions:

http://letsembark.com/#features

Why Thanks Miss P , you see you can teach an old dawg like me new tricks  ;)

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 09:55:51 pm »
My bad!  The restaurant I am referring to is "The Old Ebbitt Grill" and it is around the corner from the White House.  The Capital Grille is a national (and overpriced if you ask me) chain and not very imaginative.

The Old Ebbitt Grill is a bit more reasonable and you never know when a White House celebrity or staffer may be in there.  Google "Old Ebbitt Grill" to read more about it.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 09:23:29 pm »

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 08:22:21 pm »
Something to do in DC: hang out with me!

I'm getting a shweet tax return this year due to being in college so I now have most of the money needed for the trip! Woohoo! I'll be seeing my peeps in DC this year! I love you guys!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline weasel

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 04:58:35 pm »
James I didn't know that you were a Leo, I love Leo's, your a strong person, and can take most anything life throws your way, Mark is a Leo, your such nice people to know, always kind, punctual and cordial ;)

I am a LEO  :-*

I like fancy CAR Museums !  and that sort of Hoopla  ???

I will see all that can be seen  :)

I will see the sites with other Leo's ?   Hope so  ;)

The Weasel  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 05:29:00 pm »
   I am a LEO  :-*

I like fancy CAR Museums !  and that sort of Hoopla  ???

I will see all that can be seen  :)

I will see the sites with other Leo's ?   Hope so  ;)

The Weasel  :-*

If you don't go to D.C. then I won't go  :-[ so, don't make my sad, hope to see you there  ;)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 05:40:55 pm »
Perhaps that's why I get on well with all those Leo's mentioned.  I'm the cancer sign and Leo's are supposedly our most compatible. 

Wolfie

Offline terpie82

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 04:15:46 pm »
Here are some of my personal favorites/suggestions which may be mentioned by others:

1) Dukem (Ethiopian Food): communal eating without utensils, but spicy food.

2) Ping Pong Dim Sum (a little pricey, basically Chinese tapas dishes, but yummy): one new location in Dupont Circle and one by Gallery Place Chinatown.

3) Ben's Chilli Bowl (always packed though, so stand in line...and sometimes, the line is almost 2 blocks long if you consider how it also goes inside the restaurant)

4) Rosemary thyme (one of my favorite brunch places off 18th and S St NW)

5) Perry’s (drag brunch, funnest place with all you can eat breakfast on the weekends)

6) Circa (off Dupont Circle)

7) Hank's Oyster bar (off of 17th/gay street and R St?)

8) Gallery Place Chinatown has some very nice restaurants too as well as the Verizon Center (e.g. Rosa Mexicano, Matchbox Pizza, Clyde's)

Some things to do besides the sight seeing/touring:
1) Odyssey cruise along the Potomac around key DC points of interest (i.e. Jefferson/Lincoln Memorials, Washington Monument, Watergate hotel). Can accommodate groups of people and also serve food. I suggest doing this at night and the moon is out.

2) The Kennedy Center (The only thing scheduled this early on is the Addams Family)

3) Shakespeare Theater (Too early for them to list what’s showing)

4) Gay outings: Town is the biggest gay club in DC and across the street is Nellies, which is the only gay sports bar in DC and also my favorite because it's laid back and has OK food with very goodlooking servers/bartenders. 17th (aka Gay) Street has Cobalt (a club)/Level One (which is a restaurant…an ok place for brunch), several gay owned/friendly restaurants like Annies, Dupont Italian Kitchen (or DIK), and JRs (overly crowded bar).

Let me know if there's something you are particularly interested in (e.g. a specific type of food or place to go, and I may be of further assistance). Don't be surprised if I drop in on one of your outings as I haven't seen some of you in over 5 years!
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 05:23:43 pm »

Don't be surprised if I drop in on one of your outings as I haven't seen some of you in over 5 years!

Looking forward to meeting you !   8)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.