Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:52:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773201
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 506
Total: 509

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hiv and ecigs  (Read 5446 times)

Offline ScaredNinja

Hiv and ecigs
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:08:27 am »
I don't know where to ask but I been vaping for a year and my blood work has been UD and CD4 900 to 1110 around abouts.  So my question is anyone know if being hiv positive and vaping is a total danger.  I used to smoke BTW so I just wanted to hear anyone that vape s experience or if they know something.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Hiv and ecigs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:35:30 am »
Hi

I do vape, i used to smoke near 2 packs a day, vaping is cheaper, I stink less and  it better than smoking, but its not perfect. In a perfect world I would not vape either.

Last time we discussed vaping we had plenty of opinions from people who stopped smoking cold turkey and felt the need to express that. Well inst that just great for them, lol.

My doctor recommend vaping, I ignored him for a while but made the switch in the end more for the cost benefits if i'm honest. Look e-cigarettes have been estimated to cause 95% less harm than cigarette smoking. They are able to deliver nicotine into the body without the carcinogens that are so prevalent and dangerous in tobacco cigarettes.

Because of this significant potential to improve health on the larger community level, the UK medicines regulator has even approved the marketing of an e-cigarette brand as a non-smoking aid.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/08August/Pages/E-cigarettes-95-per-cent-less-harmful-than-smoking-says-report.aspx

Anyhow look we know smoking is really bad not only to yourself but also everyone around you so well done getting off them.

https://www.poz.com/article/smoking-drives-heart-attacks
Smoking Drives Heart Attacks - HIV-positive individuals studied for research on smoking and high blood pressure. January 9, 2017

https://www.poz.com/article/HIV-positive-smokers-23686-2609
HIV-Positive Smokers Lose More Years

EDIT:

What did your own doctor recommend or say?

Jim
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:44:05 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Buckdog

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:48:51 pm »
26 year smoker here. Quit smoking 3 years ago and switched to vaping. Blood work has always been good. Blood pressure has come down. Breathing has gotten better. My doc doesnt approve of smoking or vaping but has agreed it is better than smoking.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:31:34 am »
I've been vaping a little over a year.  My breathing improved so much I was able to stop using the daily Spiriva.  I still have a rescue inhaler in case I get a bad chest cold (which I haven't gotten either since quitting smoking).  In 2015 I got pneumonia 3 times.  I smoked through the first two.  The last time I had it I went to light a cigarette and literally could not breathe in, so that prompted me to quit and switch to vaping. 

I haven't discussed it with my doctor but I'm sure she would rather see me vape.  I actually had been getting prescribed oxygen when I kept getting pneumonia but haven't used it in over a year, since I quit smoking.

I know there are people who quit cold turkey, have used other things, that disagree with vaping.  Like Jim said, in a perfect world I wouldn't vape either.  But I'm not perfect and cannot just quit nicotine. I have gone down in mg's though.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:46:49 am »

I switched from cigarettes to vaping 3 years ago.  I have a very active job, and noticed my endurance improved immensely.  I fully understand it hasn't been around very long, so knowledge on it's long term effects is pretty nil. 

I look at it like this though-- it's more about harm reduction for me.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline RemyG1971

• E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa Try it to end the panic
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 11:07:52 am »
Cigarettes smell like a chemical fire.

If in 2017 you are still smoking e-cigs or cigarettes you might be a moron.

#jussayin

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »
@Remy

Stay out of the thread since you have nothing of intelligence to add.
First, last and only warning go troll somewhere else.

#jussayin  - (puke)

Jim
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:14:17 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 06:10:56 am »
#jussayin - many cigs smell fab. (or they used to at least)  and cigars, pipes and shisha.  smoking is a social, body, and psychological pleasure. When i was young smoking was glamorous AND much cheaper than drinking in clubs.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 06:30:55 am »
Remy,

I wish you were respectful to the members.
This is a group of adults,  not young kids.
Please think of the people who come here for help and advice.
I am from Asian culture but what l have learned here is that we are the people sharing the same feelings.    We all need to be considerate of each other no matter where we are or where we are from.
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 04:13:43 pm »
Cigarettes smell like a chemical fire.

If in 2017 you are still smoking e-cigs or cigarettes you might be a moron.

#jussayin

Your bitterness and anger is definitely apparent, I hope you are ok.  Please feel free to share what is really bothering you.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 12:03:16 am »
@All

As caring and well intended as it maybe can we please stay on topic and also not engage or comment on Remy in this thread. Its unfair to him as he has been asked not to post here and its unfair to the OP's topic. 

Thank you.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline TheNormalLife

• Rules have changed; giving up is never an option
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:17:58 pm »
I used to smoke a pack a day until my diagnosis... Vaping was never my thing although I knew it was a much better option.

Every now and then (I'd say twice a year) I smoke a few cigarrettes and enjoy a drink (or two or seven), I really hope there's nothing wrong with that. Once I read that vaping was as dangerous as driving in the highway at 100 mph, and that smoking was the same but with the eyes closed! ;)

Ray
09/14 Conversion
12/14 Diagnosed
12/14 CD4-6; VL-4245 (wrong CD4 test)
01/15 CD4-530 (pheeew)
01/15 CD4-755
03/15 CD4-545; VL-14401
04/15 CD4-623; VL-4531
04/15 Truvada/Efavirenz
07/15 CD4-595; VL-UD
08/15 CD4-763; VL-UD
11/15 CD4-581; VL-UD
03/16 CD4-523; VL-UD
07/16 CD4-655; VL-UD
09/16 CD4-820; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-544; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-669; VL-UD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 07:48:39 pm »
I used to smoke a pack a day until my diagnosis... Vaping was never my thing although I knew it was a much better option.

Every now and then (I'd say twice a year) I smoke a few cigarrettes and enjoy a drink (or two or seven), I really hope there's nothing wrong with that. Once I read that vaping was as dangerous as driving in the highway at 100 mph, and that smoking was the same but with the eyes closed! ;)

Ray

To be honest I have a hard time discerning between big tobacco propaganda towards vaping and what is truth.  I will say this though, the difference between vaping and smoking and how I feel overall-- is a big difference.

Offline ScaredNinja

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:04 pm »
Sorry took so long for the reply had so much going on, my dad was just dx with lung cancer. He has been smoking almost all his life. Anyways thanks for the info. I just wanted know being hiv and vaping had any effect with treatments etc.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 05:22:40 pm »
No, zero interaction with treatment.

I watched some doctor (French I think) a couple of years ago on TV talk about Vaping vs Smoking. He was talking about risk comparisons and he said that Vaping was like driving at 100mph on the motorway. Smoking was like driving at 100mph on the motorway in the wrong direction.

Personally, I've been a pack-a-day smoker for longer than I care to remember. I switched to vaping about 4 years ago, but have had a couple of relapses - usually after a holiday where I stock up on duty free fags. I've now recently (like, in the last month) moved back to exclusively vaping. I tend to find it easier if I don't think of it as 'stopping smoking' but rather that I am 'choosing not to smoke'.

My problem is that there are certain very specific situations where I actively *enjoy* smoking a cigarette. Thankfully they don't come around that often, but I will have to see if I can resist next time (One example is in 40 degree heat in a dusty music festival when had quite a few drinks....somehow drawing on a metal battery powered device doesn't quite hit the spot...), or at least if I can't resist I need to resist stopping by the duty free shop in the airport....

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.