Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP an entitlement? Should something be asked back for using it?  (Read 38353 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: ADAP an entitlement? Should something be asked back for using it?
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 06:53:20 pm »
This thread amply illustrates how conservatives over the last two decades have been so very successful at convincing even a more liberal set of people (like many on this thread) that any sort of government entitlement program is skating close to Karl Marx.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2007, 06:59:05 pm »
This thread amply illustrates how conservatives over the last two decades have been so very successful at convincing even a more liberal set of people (like many on this thread) that any sort of government entitlement program is skating close to Karl Marx.

Amen to that brother...oh please may I have another sir?

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 07:06:01 pm »
Maybe I'm hijacking, but I don't think so because it seems like Win wanted to get some healthy debate going here (which I enjoy).

I don't view ADAP as an entitlement program, because everyone is not entitled to it.  You have to qualify for it, i.e. it is needs based.  This is how I would prefer our tax dollars be used -- I have good insurance, so the government shouldn't have to foot my bill.  Of course, this argument goes out the window the day that the US gets Universal Health Care funded by the government -- maybe my grandchildren will see that, but I doubt that I will.

Again (back on the thread) -- volunteering is NOT volunteering if its compulsory.  I don't think anyone should be required to "pay back" for this assistance.  I think volunteering would be an excellent idea for people who receive ADAP, as well as for those of us who don't.  I, myself, am guilty of doing more "donating" than "volunteering".  This thread has got me thinking about why this is -- and how I should go about changing it.

Mike

Oh yeah one more thing -- re: the Ninth Amendment
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

We may retain rights not enumerated, but that doesn't obligate the government to pay for them.  

Again, not saying what is right or wrong -- just adding to the debate.   ;D

Mike

edited to correct my leaving out the word NOT in volunteering is NOT volunteering if it is compulsory.  SOrry about that

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007, 07:16:04 pm »
I look at ADAP/Ryan White as political from the get go.  It wasn't so much done for compassion to The Evil Sodomites, but more so the US political elite didn't suffer comparisons by other industrialized countries as letting portions of our populace suffer along the lines of Tanzania.  They already look at us because we have not comprehensive nationalized health services and let everyone run around with automatic weapons.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 07:32:28 pm »
Come talk to me when they start taxing the 10 million illegal aliens, that use our school, get tax dollar for college, use our welfare and social services. Then and maybe then, will you get me to feel ashamed for getting assistance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 07:52:07 pm by RapidRod »

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 07:50:02 pm »
Forgive me, everyone.  This notebook has tricks I don't understand so I am forced into primitive techniques at the moment.  Wesley, I really do appreciate that you are discussing/debating as opposed to arguing with me.  I have been sending out p.m.'s during this thread to make sure that we are having a discussion.  

Thank you for bringing focus to the newly diagnosed whom we encounter so often here in the forums in their I am lost and alone stage.  Yes, it would be tremendous to create opportunities for the newly diagnosed to interact with other positive men and women, doing things, perhaps other than hiv related things, perhaps 'working' within an a.s.o. feeling useful and given the population, being able to bring up subjects which might be difficult for them.  

Guilting or shaming or requiring was never on my agenda.  Lifting the guilt and shame we often read about here was.  If I seemed to be supporting an equation of entitlements with work/compulsory volunteering, please know that this was drifting over from the draft/compulsory/voluntary national service discussion which was never related to hiv/aids or any other entitlement programs during that discussion.  It seemed to be a door which might open this discussion: would anyone here feel that...?

I thank Mike for bringing in why we may donate over volunteering and how this might make us feel?  Do we feel an urge, a need to donate or volunteer to an a.s.o. whether or not we use or have ever used its services?  Do we feel that it is, like ADAP, already funded and so there is no need?  Do we, as hiv positive men and women feel that we of all people need to give back to (donate or volunteer) an a.s.o. because of its purpose over another not-for-profit if we had to make that decision?  Do you feel the same (lift? satisfaction? empowerment?) donating that you get or would get by volunteering in some way?  We don't have to wade into this, but it's worth keeping around.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline poet

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 08:04:35 pm »
I think, given the state of American culture... with the heavy emphais on "hard work" and "prosperity being a sign of God's favor" (inheritances from the New England Puritans which have seeped into our national consciousness)

And Win, I know that you are absolutely not trying to make anyone feel guilty... but I think since American society already makes people on the dole feel bad for it... that asking them to "do more" is paramount to having an emotional stranglehold on these people. 

Yes, shame or guilt or anything similar has not been my intention in starting this discussion.  I will say, though, that the needy/poor/on the dole are not the only ones who often feel it.  The wealthy do as well.  It is impossible for anyone human, anyone with feeling, to ever be able to justify either the acquisition or the use of wealth and the all too often crashes of the wealthy, drug overuse, alcoholism/lifestyle of the...  we see is the veneer.  Wealth, like any other form of entitlement, also creates the question, the internal debate: how can I make good use of this, how can or should I give back to my community?  Is cutting a check however large enough? 

Thank you, David NC and J.R.E.  Win
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 08:19:51 pm by poet »
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline poet

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 08:13:18 pm »
Quoting here, although it pulls off off-topic a bit: Its not that quantity buying power or a secret source has aided in the purchase of this food.  Rather, it appears that grocery stores and food distributors have found a way to simultaneously get a tax write-off and save money on their garbage bill by sending $5000.00 "worth" of what would otherwise be dumped in the landfill for distribution to the needy. 

To which I can add, as someone, again, who works at a residence for the mentally challenged who indeed receive food pantry donations from food stores, such as out of date, crushed, dented, surplus food goods: this program, with or without the Red Cross, gets the food which our guys need to live out of the trash and into their mouths.  I don't argue your concerns, but want to clarify for readers that we couldn't do our work if not for this incentive. Win

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 08:31:25 pm »
Quoting here, although it pulls off off-topic a bit: Its not that quantity buying power or a secret source has aided in the purchase of this food.  Rather, it appears that grocery stores and food distributors have found a way to simultaneously get a tax write-off and save money on their garbage bill by sending $5000.00 "worth" of what would otherwise be dumped in the landfill for distribution to the needy. 

To which I can add, as someone, again, who works at a residence for the mentally challenged who indeed receive food pantry donations from food stores, such as out of date, crushed, dented, surplus food goods: this program, with or without the Red Cross, gets the food which our guys need to live out of the trash and into their mouths.  I don't argue your concerns, but want to clarify for readers that we couldn't do our work if not for this incentive. Win

Right here Win is a great point.   See, I wasn't aware you worked for this organization or that this problem existed.   That makes me want to help.  My resources aren't huge, but this is something anyone could help with almost.   Plug your organization and let it be known what's needed clearly.
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 08:36:52 pm »

The situation you face with the mentally challenged is different.  A gift of day-old bread, dented tins, and over-ripe produce provides for what they may not otherwise have at all.  $1000.00 may well be enough to buy $5000.00 "worth" of quality food - think retail vs wholesale and profit margins?  Therefore, if the food being given out really didn't cost anything, but was simply diverted from the landfill, the poor have been cheated, the donors have been robbed and the volunteers have been duped.

No one paid for it.  It would be like the Salvation Army charging retail for donated clothing.  

Offline poet

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2007, 08:43:52 pm »
Wesley, I'll p.m. you rather than lose this thread, BUT I will say, re: a.s.o.'s that both branches of mine on the Cape have food pantries.  I can't yet tell you how large they are, how many people they serve, but I can tell you that if anyone is torn between donate and volunteer, wants to do something keeping in mind this thread's points, anything you come across on sale at your local foodstore helps your a.s.o. meet its needs if it also has a program going: food is food.  If you have the interest or time, dropping off on any basis some homemade baked goods for a.s.o. staff and clients will also give you a glow.  Win

Offline koi1

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2007, 09:21:37 pm »
The term illegal alien is used to dehumanize, mistreat, exploit, and deny inalienable rights, to those picking our produce, cleaning our houses, taking care of our elderly, basically doing the shit work. And by the way they do pay taxes, they just can't file a return. Because our government is only happy to take taxes even on bogus tax id numbers. Financial help is not available for people without legal status. Children no matter what their status have a right to an education constitutionally. Anywayt this person's  bitter comments are irrelevant to the matter at hand. Sorry for the highjack.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:51:53 pm by koi1 »
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »
The term illegal alien is used to dehumanize, mistreat, exploit, and deny inalienable rights, to those picking our produce, cleaning our houses, taking care of our elderly, basically doing the shit work. Someone's name should be changed to rabid racist.

You just don't ever stop, do you?  Just constantly demonize anyone and everyone here who you says anything that you take umbrage to... you should just stop it because I am getting sick to death of reading your non-stop ad hominem attacks on anyone who you find to be offensive.

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline koi1

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2007, 09:33:31 pm »
put me on ignore then.

You seem the one who seems contantly intent on attacking me.

Drawn 02/10/07

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2007, 09:38:50 pm »
riiiiiiiiiiiight

Offline koi1

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2007, 09:50:15 pm »
My apologies to Rapid Rod. I will remove the dig. His comment had really nothing to do with the thread, but to blame the industrious hard working people who just came here for a better life.  Must be my Sustiva talking.  Too bad I can't have a cold one.  :o
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:54:19 pm by koi1 »
Drawn 02/10/07

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2007, 10:44:21 pm »
Coming late to this discussion... but a lot of great points are made.

It's all about ethics.  And, ethics tend to be gray.  We are raised to believe the following two things:

It is the right thing to do to help others in need.   
  Those who accept help should be thankful.

This seems to be a conflict.  The "charity vs gratitude" conflict.  Is it really?

We have reasons why this charity.. in this case a government program.. is something to which we are entitled"

The government has an obligation to promote the general welfare. 
  Universal healthcare is a right, not a privilege.
  We pay taxes, which act as a form of insurance..  When we get sick, we have rights.

Also, we have reasons why thanksgiving is of importance here:

Others who receive help from the government have to repay it.
  Doing one good deed in exchange for another is an ethical obligation with which we tend to be raised.

Lastly, it is not a reasonable expectation that someone who is critically ill be obliged to "pay back" the gift of the government.
Most of the arguments above really fall along these lines. 
It is, in my opinion, not reasonable to enforce ethics upon individuals with laws.  (and here, i am not talking about the "thou shall not kill" type of edict, but the "do unto others" type)  You cannot force someone to be thankful for ADAP by requiring them to do some work for society.  You can only force that person to do the work.  If it is not done willingly, then it is not thanks at all, but duty.  And, at the risk of being tautological... duty is not thanks. 

Likewise, should we deny charity to those who do not exhibit thanks?  Perhaps the only thing that ever resonated with me from Christianity is the edict that we do good without any expectation of any kind of return of that good.  In other words, be good, do good, regardless of the reward.  This view, straight from Ecclesiastes, for me is in direct opposition to the prevailing ethical motivation for many... I should be good or I will be punished.

In the end, I would argue that this discussion is distressing.  We, the people, in the form of the government in this case... should support the granting of ADAP without any expectation of a return of thanks from the recipients.  Likewise, the recipients should return that good to the world in the form of thanks.  However, there should be no requirement as to the form that thanks takes.

Sorry for being so obstruse.    puck

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2007, 12:06:46 am »
Coming late to this discussion... but a lot of great points are made.

It's all about ethics.  And, ethics tend to be gray.  We are raised to believe the following two things:

This seems to be a conflict.  The "charity vs gratitude" conflict.  Is it really?

We have reasons why this charity.. in this case a government program.. is something to which we are entitled"

The government has an obligation to promote the general welfare. 
  Universal healthcare is a right, not a privilege.
  We pay taxes, which act as a form of insurance..  When we get sick, we have rights.

Also, we have reasons why thanksgiving is of importance here:

Others who receive help from the government have to repay it.
  Doing one good deed in exchange for another is an ethical obligation with which we tend to be raised.

Lastly, it is not a reasonable expectation that someone who is critically ill be obliged to "pay back" the gift of the government.
Most of the arguments above really fall along these lines. 
It is, in my opinion, not reasonable to enforce ethics upon individuals with laws.  (and here, i am not talking about the "thou shall not kill" type of edict, but the "do unto others" type)  You cannot force someone to be thankful for ADAP by requiring them to do some work for society.  You can only force that person to do the work.  If it is not done willingly, then it is not thanks at all, but duty.  And, at the risk of being tautological... duty is not thanks. 

Likewise, should we deny charity to those who do not exhibit thanks?  Perhaps the only thing that ever resonated with me from Christianity is the edict that we do good without any expectation of any kind of return of that good.  In other words, be good, do good, regardless of the reward.  This view, straight from Ecclesiastes, for me is in direct opposition to the prevailing ethical motivation for many... I should be good or I will be punished.

In the end, I would argue that this discussion is distressing.  We, the people, in the form of the government in this case... should support the granting of ADAP without any expectation of a return of thanks from the recipients.  Likewise, the recipients should return that good to the world in the form of thanks.  However, there should be no requirement as to the form that thanks takes.

Sorry for being so obstruse.    puck

I tend to agree with much of what you have brought up.   

These words struck me.  Immediately, I'm reminded of the Hurricane Katrina victims for some reason.   I know that's a horrible example of giving back, but so many felt empathy and tried to do the right thing, but the government on all levels failed and it's still a mess.

I guess the point I'm making however off track is some of those people were grateful and gave back.   Other's are still bitter and mad as Hell.

Hmm, what is my point? ;)

Offline David_CA

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2007, 12:08:39 am »
I understand what you're saying, David.  I really do.

But then what's to stop the government from requiring us to "give back" something for freedom of speech?  I'm not trying to make your point absurd, but I am always inherently uncomfortable when the government forces citizens to "sacrifice" something.  It's not "service" when it's done under compulsion... it's more akin to slavery. 

Most definitely.  I guess it would be a bit more accurate to say that I don't think there's a thing in the world wrong with the suggestion that people contribute somehow.  I think Win said what I was trying to get at:

Wesley, I'll p.m. you rather than lose this thread, BUT I will say, re: a.s.o.'s that both branches of mine on the Cape have food pantries.  I can't yet tell you how large they are, how many people they serve, but I can tell you that if anyone is torn between donate and volunteer, wants to do something keeping in mind this thread's points, anything you come across on sale at your local foodstore helps your a.s.o. meet its needs if it also has a program going: food is food.  If you have the interest or time, dropping off on any basis some homemade baked goods for a.s.o. staff and clients will also give you a glow.  Win

After all, the subject of the thread is "ADAP an entitlement? Should something be asked back for using it?"  I never meant to imply that something should be required.  Such a system would be impractical to implement and regulate. 

David

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline poet

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2007, 06:56:00 am »
The term illegal alien is used to dehumanize, mistreat, exploit, and deny inalienable rights, to those picking our produce, cleaning our houses, taking care of our elderly, basically doing the shit work. And by the way they do pay taxes, they just can't file a return. Because our government is only happy to take taxes even on bogus tax id numbers. Financial help is not available for people without legal status. Children no matter what their status have a right to an education constitutionally. Anywayt this person's  bitter comments are irrelevant to the matter at hand. Sorry for the highjack.

Rob, you are on target about illegal alliens and where their tax dollars go if collected.  I was tempted to hijack the discussion to point this out myself, but caught myself. :)

What I missed until I read another post and looked more carefully is what we are going to have to work on in the forums and this is NOT addressed at any one person.  Some of the topics can set each of us off.  If it sets us off, if it gets us thinking about things, that's one of the points of spending time here, right?  I worded the title of this thread in the hope of starting a debate, but not in the hope of enabling baiting and sideswipes at other posters.  When in doubt, use 'I,' as in 'I feel this way' or 'I feel that way.'  Much as it feels as though the other posters are across the table from us, curb the 'you' as in 'you said...' 'how could you....'  Another thread was timeconsuming to get through because of the sniping and yet the purpose of the thread, the debate going on within it, was worth the effort of dodging objects.  Win
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:07:55 am by poet »

Offline poet

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2007, 07:36:35 am »
Getting to Puck, let me thank everyone else who has posted comments here but whom I have not previously thanked for his/her thoughts, including Lisa who was right to interject activism if only because self-empowerment is, for me, a form of activism. 

Murky, perhaps, to define 'thankful,' how someone 'should be thankful?'  As a staff member with the mentally challenged, I constantly hear other staff members reminding the guys to say thank you to someone.  But if they don't get the concept as our guys may not, does it 'count?'  Is this, Puck or anyone, like forcing people to be thankful, to show thankfulness by doing something?  I would agree that forcing thankfulness gets us nowhere.  The person doing the thanking doesn't feel empowered by his or her action.  He or she feels forced.  Requiring work in return for ADAP, to return to the thread topic, doesn't, for me work, but that leaves open the door to someone offering his or her services-volunteering them- and it leaves open the responsibility, perhaps, of an a.s.o. to show someone volunteer oportunities. 

To pull things all the way back to the radioopensource.org discussion, how is it that we have reached the point that some people pause at the equation, pause at 'compulsory' and pause at 'volunteer?'  It's something that I noticed, moving from NYC to the Cape:  you don't think here when someone has dropped something, needs a driveway plowed, has a package delivered to them when they aren't home.  How is it, as someone p.m.'d to me last night, that the instinct to return a favor, offset a benefit, accept something needed but automatically find something which can be given back has somehow gotten lost?  Why do we chafe at the concept?  Why do we have to list what we already do give/pay out as if to say, 'so leave me alone'?  Win
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:39:33 am by poet »

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2007, 08:25:30 am »
1) Kindness is its own reward.

2) Even subtle hints regarding volunteer opportunities can be coercive.  That coercion could very well lead the people in need of the services/entitlement to forego those services rather than be subjected to pressure and coercion, being made to feel guilty, etc.

3) The door is always open for someone to volunteer. 

So, really your topic is simply whether people are inherently good and will do what they can and what they should or whether people are selfish and evil and must be controlled by society.  I vote for the preservation of the dignity of the individual.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2007, 09:47:57 am »
 I give back if and when I can. I believe most of us do. Voluntarily.

A quote for queer folk:
Blanche DuBois said, "I have always relied on the kindness of strangers..."

Offline David_CA

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2007, 10:30:44 am »
Requiring work in return for ADAP, to return to the thread topic, doesn't, for me work, but that leaves open the door to someone offering his or her services-volunteering them- and it leaves open the responsibility, perhaps, of an a.s.o. to show someone volunteer oportunities. 

I guess I somewhat agree with this statement, but only a little.  I have to give back for my benefits.  I'm required to work and receive benefits (as well as an income) in return.  The State (my employer) doesn't pay me plus give me benefits and allow me to decide whether or not I should have to come to work.  If my showing up for work stops, so do my benefits. 

Although I don't have the option to receive my benefits without working, I still feel thankful.  I should.  I try to show my thanks to my employer by being a decent employee and doing a good job.  I think those receiving ANY sort of benefits that are not directly tied to work and a paycheck should also be thankful.  There are so many that don't / can't receive benefits for a variety of reasons (those that died while waiting on South Carolina's ADAP program, for example) that I'd think that most of us who are insured, on ADAP, or on some other sort of assistance program would be willing to do something (within their abilities) in return.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline poet

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2007, 11:42:08 am »

2) Even subtle hints regarding volunteer opportunities can be coercive.  That coercion could very well lead the people in need of the services/entitlement to forego those services rather than be subjected to pressure and coercion, being made to feel guilty, etc.

So, really your topic is simply whether people are inherently good and will do what they can and what they should or whether people are selfish and evil and must be controlled by society.  I vote for the preservation of the dignity of the individual.

With 2 above, it is tricky, agreed.  I hope that I have made it clear, over and over, that opportunities are a way of anyone experiencing guilt or shame or anything similar if he or she feels like taking them up, feels encouraged in the mental health way that we are required to 'encourage' our guys to maximise their capabilities.  How?  By taking at look at their capabilities and their limitations and either finding things that they can do or ways that they can do things, which brings us back to the point that no one should feel that there is nothing that he or she can offer because the staff of an a.s.o., sitting with the full file, should be trained to connect the dots.  Who else other than an a.s.o. staff member who, hopefully, understands hiv/aids, can do this, as well as the community advisory board members, right? Always, always voluntary. 

With 3 above, see 2.  When I looked at the volunteer opportunities on our website, delivering meals, working in the kitchen, etc., none of them would answer the needs of Bear's partner, Kurt.  They show volunteer gaps in thinking and because we know that many people would be shy about pointing out what they can't do, dead ends which we are responsible, I hope, for seeing and solving.

My topic is not on whether people are inherently good or bad.  My topic, which came out of a discussion about national service, whether, to keep America the country that it is and has been, national service, whether compulsory or voluntary, is something which we should have.  So, to get this debate going, I said if the price of peace is having the military, is there, should there be, a price for something like ADAP.  That is what we have been discussing.  Win

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2007, 11:58:43 am »
Getting to Puck, let me thank everyone else who has posted comments here but whom I have not previously thanked for his/her thoughts, including Lisa who was right to interject activism if only because self-empowerment is, for me, a form of activism. 

Murky, perhaps, to define 'thankful,' how someone 'should be thankful?'  As a staff member with the mentally challenged, I constantly hear other staff members reminding the guys to say thank you to someone.  But if they don't get the concept as our guys may not, does it 'count?'  Is this, Puck or anyone, like forcing people to be thankful, to show thankfulness by doing something?  I would agree that forcing thankfulness gets us nowhere.  The person doing the thanking doesn't feel empowered by his or her action.  He or she feels forced.  Requiring work in return for ADAP, to return to the thread topic, doesn't, for me work, but that leaves open the door to someone offering his or her services-volunteering them- and it leaves open the responsibility, perhaps, of an a.s.o. to show someone volunteer oportunities. 

To pull things all the way back to the radioopensource.org discussion, how is it that we have reached the point that some people pause at the equation, pause at 'compulsory' and pause at 'volunteer?'  It's something that I noticed, moving from NYC to the Cape:  you don't think here when someone has dropped something, needs a driveway plowed, has a package delivered to them when they aren't home.  How is it, as someone p.m.'d to me last night, that the instinct to return a favor, offset a benefit, accept something needed but automatically find something which can be given back has somehow gotten lost?  Why do we chafe at the concept?  Why do we have to list what we already do give/pay out as if to say, 'so leave me alone'?  Win

Hey Win,

Hmm, I can see how degrading it would be to have some staff member tell a paitient to say thank you.   Isn't it enough if the staff member just says thanks?

However, I understand that whoever the donor was might not come back again if they feel unappreciated or aknowledged.

Wesley

Offline poet

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2007, 12:07:11 pm »
Sidetracking again, Wesley?  ;D Our guys, the residents, are not 'patients' for us as residential staff members.  It's their house.  We just work there.  In fact one of the guys loves firing everyone.  I was fired because I brought the tine of the fork to his teeth while feeding him breakfast.  The other staff member was fired because he wanted the wrong team to win.  But, when I reminded him that there was no one left then to cook him his breakfast, he rehired us or, rather, said, 'you know that I was kidding?'  The most recent thanking reminder was to another of the guys to whom I had brought the t.v. section and comics.  It's the constant reminding the guys of expectations out there as we work on their behaviour.  Win

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2007, 12:07:59 pm »

I agree with your points completely, especially the 2nd one.   I'd done a public article when I found out I was positive last year.   After, I had every gay and HIV organization hitting me up for this or that or wanting me to volunteer etc.   When I have declined various offers I've been snubbed by these people and thier various organizations.   I shall leave names out, but I can tell you coercive tactics are obnoxious and repelled me from lending a helping hand to any of these people or organizations.  

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2007, 07:18:27 pm »

With 2 above, it is tricky, agreed.  I hope that I have made it clear, over and over, that opportunities are a way of anyone experiencing guilt or shame or anything similar if he or she feels like taking them up, feels encouraged in the mental health way that we are required to 'encourage' our guys to maximise their capabilities.  How?  By taking at look at their capabilities and their limitations and either finding things that they can do or ways that they can do things, which brings us back to the point that no one should feel that there is nothing that he or she can offer because the staff of an a.s.o., sitting with the full file, should be trained to connect the dots.  Who else other than an a.s.o. staff member who, hopefully, understands hiv/aids, can do this, as well as the community advisory board members, right? Always, always voluntary. 

With 3 above, see 2.  When I looked at the volunteer opportunities on our website, delivering meals, working in the kitchen, etc., none of them would answer the needs of Bear's partner, Kurt.  They show volunteer gaps in thinking and because we know that many people would be shy about pointing out what they can't do, dead ends which we are responsible, I hope, for seeing and solving.

My topic is not on whether people are inherently good or bad.  My topic, which came out of a discussion about national service, whether, to keep America the country that it is and has been, national service, whether compulsory or voluntary, is something which we should have.  So, to get this debate going, I said if the price of peace is having the military, is there, should there be, a price for something like ADAP.  That is what we have been discussing.  Win

Somewhat.  A discussion should grow and examine finer points along the way.  It seems that a lot of your perspective comes from working with mentally disabled people.  I think those on ADAP have a bit more on their minds than whether you hit their tooth with the tine of a fork or the wrong team won.  They  might have worries about how to pay the rent, where their next meal will come from, will there be heat, will I get my meds, and myriad other daily stresses that the mentally disabled just need not face because, as a society, we take care of them.  We take care of ADAP recipients, somewhat.  Thats where the similarity ends.

So, again comparing apples to oranges, you suggest that evaluating a developmentally disabled person to try and expand their capabilities is similar to evaluating an ADAP recipient to see what they can repay and how.  You just don't seem to get it.   People get ADAP because they don't have resources to pay.  You may then counter that surely they have time.  Wrong.  ADAP recipients are busy surviving.  They don't have the time or energy to endure national service requirements or indentured volunteerism.  If those who do have the time and energy choose to volunteer, great. 

I find it incredible that  you suggest national service as a way for those on ADAP to get rid of their guilt or shame for being on ADAP?  What guilt or shame is it that these poor souls should further endure by being labelled unpatriotic, un-American, or just plain, bad, if they fail to do their part in "keeping America the country that it is and has been through national service."  So, yes, you are asking whether people are good or bad and whether society should compel good behaviour through national service.

Offline bear60

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2007, 07:28:58 pm »
Kurt has a lot of talent with computers and unless he were here, I would NOT be on here making this post.  He does not want to join in discussion, cannot be "active" and on his feet, but he knows more than most of us about computers.
Kurt is one of the most guilt free people I know.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2007, 07:32:53 pm »

I would debate whether America is or ever has been the country of national service.  Every bit of evidence you could present that we are a country of national service could easily be countered by equally persuasive evidence that it is not.  (Draft vs draft dodgers, christian charity vs christianity, inc.).  I would say that any ideal of America which includes the rosey and Reaganesque city on the hill of happily serving volunteers needs a dose of reality.  In my opinion, it is an idealized reaction to the reality that charity and volunteer service is basically incompatible with capitalism.   

That does not stop people from doing so.  In fact, in my opinion, it is part of human nature that when it comes face to face with suffering to want to do something.  However, it is equally a part of human nature to ignore suffering when it is not apparent.  Americans are no more human than anyone else, and I feel deeply uncomfortable with the implication that there is any kind of ethical birthright to the accident of geography which is citizenship.

Therefore I stand by my original thesis that it is an ethical obligation of human society to help the less fortunate without expectation of reward and it is the ethical obligation of the helped to appreciate it without reference to the form of appreciation.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline bear60

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2007, 08:21:30 pm »
OK Win
I made the effort to ask Kurt how he feels about this mandatory national service for people who recieve ADAP or Ryan White Fund drug assistence.
He was very very much against it.  I asked why.
He said:
1 Not everyone will be ABLE to do it
2 Some will not be able to make the TIME to do it
3 It smacks of "you're bad" so you have to pay a penalty. ( The old stigma problem )
So, you have gotten the response from someone who does not post on the boards at all and who knew NOTHING about this discussion before I asked him to give me an opinion.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline poet

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2007, 08:38:33 pm »
Somewhat.  A discussion should grow and examine finer points along the way.  It seems that a lot of your perspective comes from working with mentally disabled people.  I think those on ADAP have a bit more on their minds than whether you hit their tooth with the tine of a fork or the wrong team won.  They  might have worries about how to pay the rent, where their next meal will come from, will there be heat, will I get my meds, and myriad other daily stresses that the mentally disabled just need not face because, as a society, we take care of them.  We take care of ADAP recipients, somewhat.  Thats where the similarity ends.

So, again comparing apples to oranges, you suggest that evaluating a developmentally disabled person to try and expand their capabilities is similar to evaluating an ADAP recipient to see what they can repay and how.  You just don't seem to get it.   People get ADAP because they don't have resources to pay.  You may then counter that surely they have time.  Wrong.  ADAP recipients are busy surviving.  They don't have the time or energy to endure national service requirements or indentured volunteerism.  If those who do have the time and energy choose to volunteer, great. 

I find it incredible that  you suggest national service as a way for those on ADAP to get rid of their guilt or shame for being on ADAP?  What guilt or shame is it that these poor souls should further endure by being labelled unpatriotic, un-American, or just plain, bad, if they fail to do their part in "keeping America the country that it is and has been through national service."  So, yes, you are asking whether people are good or bad and whether society should compel good behaviour through national service.

My fault with the aside in reply to Wesley (about the guys thanking and what they seem to grasp.)  I seriously doubt that any of the four guys I work with have the ability to sress over rent, meals or heat and, with one of the guys, his stress over medications is of a different sort entirely.  I'm sorry if this has confused the thread's discussion.

As for those on ADAP and what at least one of them had on his mind, I was someone on ADAP in New York.  Again, I brought ADAP into the picture because of the easily understood line between the Ryan White Act and ADAP funding.  So, coming out of the discussion about national service, I then created a thread about entitlements and asked a question to stimulate some thinking about them.  

I brought into the discussion what I now, having read through this thread, feel may be- may be- a fault in our thinking from the a.s.o. angle, that we perhaps fail to take into account capabilities.  As someone who was on ADAP, I actually do know what resources I had and what time I had and am equally aware that my situation will be different from person x, or y, or z.  At no point have I suggested either national service of indentured volunteerism as answers.  Remember, questions that I pull out, unless they are followed by something like, 'I think that...' are meant to feed a discussion.  Finally, what I have found in these forums is lot's of expressions of guilt and shame, largely connected to seroconversion, guilt and shame that I am working my best here to lift, not and never apply.

This is why I encourage people who are posting to get heated, start thinking, but to tell us what 'you' think as in 'I think this' or 'I think that' and not tell anyone one of us 'you' think this or that.  Win

Offline poet

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2007, 08:43:15 pm »
Thanks, Bear, for Kurt's first sideways post. :)  I hope you let him know that he has now participated?  We have our community advisory board meeting tomorrow and this subject as well as the one on is health care a right might drive some more clients to attend a future meeting.  This was not my thinking behind starting the thread, but since it has had a good run here, it might have a good run when we can look at each other across a table and talk about this in real time.  Best, Win

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2007, 11:22:21 pm »
Well, I hope you won't express any opinions or stimulate discussion that may promote action on these issues at the advisory board meeting! J/K! 

Offline poet

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2007, 06:09:43 am »
As long as two or more people feel that they have been able to get out there where they stand and why, I think that a good thing has happened.  If each of them feels that he or she was respected for clearly expressing his or her opinion, I would think that even better, whether or not everyone could agree with that position.  I feel that we grow so much here in the forums by stretching our brains, working with the contradictory, by being forced to hear things out, perhaps for the first time.  Best, Win

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2007, 06:01:06 pm »
I'm surprised you used the pronoun "I" in three places in your last post.  Your post could, of course, be rewritten as follows:

As long as two or more people feel that they have been able to get out there where they stand and why, [I think that] a good thing has happened.  If each of them feels that he or she was respected for clearly expressing his or her opinion, [I would think] that [is] even better, whether or not everyone could agree with that position.  [I feel that] [W]e grow so much here in the forums by stretching our brains, working with the contradictory, by being forced to hear things out, perhaps for the first time.  Best, Win

That way there would be no possibility of anyone concluding that you had any opinion whatsoever.  Except, that it is implicit in writing unless stated otherwise or extremely clear from the context that what is written does reflect the perspective of the author?  When it isn't clear what you are attempting to express, I will restate what I think you think or meant as I truly enjoy learning especially about perspectives beyond my somewhat limited perspective.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2007, 04:49:49 pm »
That's a great question; I intend to read all the responses so far at work tonight.  I did, however, want to comment on the original post, briefly.  I think that ADAP should be given out with a sliding scale.  In other words, those on disability or zero income should get their meds for free.  Those who make over $200,000 a year should probably be able to pay for their meds on their own.  For the rest of us (LIKE ME!), we're screwed as the program is right now.

I have (very basic) health insurance.  I make $800 a month working full-time.  I pay $134 for my health insurance.  Because my insurance pays a percentage of prescription coverage, I've now been kicked off ADAP in my state.  Now I can't afford meds AT ALL.  There should be something to fill the gap.  If I were to pay for my meds now, I will have to come up with over $400 a month to pay the part my insurance doesn't pay.  It might as well be $4,000,000 a month; I can't afford it. 

Even with my proof of (low) income, I can't stay on ADAP.  That is so unfair.  Anyone have an opinion?  Wish me luck; I got my last ADAP meds yesterday : (

Sam in 'bama

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2007, 06:42:26 am »
Any opinion about my last posting? Thanks,
Sam

Offline poet

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2007, 07:03:51 am »
Sorry to leave you hanging there, Sam.  I wasn't sure if you were going to make another post after reading through the posts.  I also had a report about the income gap between people and how it is thought about at Amherst College here in MA which was on NPR on Tuesday afternoon.  In their report, we heard from a guy from a low/modest income family who was amazed that one of his peers was driving a Porche.  How some at the college feel that it is part of its role to level the playing field, to make sure that opportunities (an internship during the Summer in Washington, DC, for example) aren't off the table because of someone's family's income.  So your sliding scale comment made me start to think about a gap, there is no single program out there which ties in housing, food, drugs, medical care for someone with hiv/aids.  ADAP is, by definition, an assistance program for drugs for many, healthcare itself sometimes being in there, but to varying degrees.  So it's up to case workers to bring all the needed programs to a client. 

If we use you as an example, if you are grossing/netting (?) $800.00/month, where does that get you in terms of the larger picture, drugs, healthcare, housing, food, gas, utilities?  Win

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.