Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:59:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 604
Total: 604

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Relatives and friends with hard times  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Esquare

Relatives and friends with hard times
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:02:29 am »
and I have to go on acting all cool like I'm glad that I'm healthy. We have a couple of family members that were recently diagnosed with cancer and another potentially deadly condition. Of course this being the holidays I'm talking to my family more often and hearing about it quite a bit. It has been strange talking to my mother about a relative's condition that is also young like me and how hard it is on his family that they don't know if he will live much longer or not. Meanwhile I'm sitting here newly diagnosed HIV positive, on meds and could use the support network. She says things like he may never be the same again and how she can only imagine how she would feel if this happened to me. Well if it was anything else I would surely tell my mother but since its HIV/AIDS I'm undercover. It is just a really tough situation to deal with but my wife and I chose not to disclose because of the way southerners view this disease. I guess we will get used to it. Its crazy that me and the guy I grew up with both have life threatening news to deal with at such a young age when everyone thought we both had great lives and were doing so well. He has his family surrounding him offering as much support as he needs and I'm here in my little cave. My wife was joking how everyone sort of acts like we are living the high life so we must be doing a good job fooling them.

I'm just venting. I'm not jealous of him or the other relative, that's just the way it is. I pray for their well-being and hope they make it through their upcoming treatments and surgeries. Also, sorry to speak with code but thanks to this cruel world I have to be as anonymous as possible. Damn.

Offline Eldon

Re: Relatives and friends with hard times
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:09:08 am »
Hello Esquare,

Sincere positive thoughts and prayers are sent to you and your family. Hold on tight and stay strong.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:11:32 am »
Esquare,

First, you should be happy that you are healthy.  Just because you have HIV doesn't mean you aren't healthy :)

The only way to gain their support is to ask them.  However, you have chosen to not disclose to your family.   Your choice, by all means.  Therefore you can't be upset by not receiving their support if they don't know they are being asked.

Be there for your family members.  You can either choose to help them during their time of need, or you can stay on the sideline so that you can cope with your own acceptance.

Stay strong.  You will know what to do when the time comes.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:50:04 am by IzPoz »
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:43:14 pm »
Hi Esquare,

I can empathise. If I'm reading you correctly, you dearly wish to tell your family, but you don't want to add to their burden right now. But put yourself in their shoes, if the tables were turned and one of them had just been diagnosed, would you thank them for not telling you just because another family member also is dealing with illness? I know I wouldn't. I think I would feel like you were underestimating my capacity for love and compassion and my ability to offer you support.

Would it be possible for you to compromise? Think about if there is one family member you could take into your confidence. I think you owe it to yourself to allow yourself some family support. Don't deny your loved ones a chance to be there for you and show you their love for you - even if you only start with one trusted person.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope things improve for not only you, but also for the people in your life who are also struggling at this time.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 04:24:26 pm »
Hi there

Everything Ann said..word for word.

I only have one thing to add and that is I know you are concerned about your family members who are sick and their need for support..but just remember their health and need for support Do not makes yours any less important, please keep that in mind.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:39:16 pm »
Esquare, I hope Ann's words help you deal with your situation as they have spoken to me and I am going to follow them.
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline tsw923

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:58:04 pm »
Esquare,

I really understand what you are saying.  I find myself in a similar situation.  I say I have to agree with Ann.  You are trying to be less of a burden on your family and possibly avoid some of the stigma what you think they may place on you.  But at the same time you are kind of making yourself and your needs less important. 

Whatever you decide to do about disclosure, we will be around to support you. If you haven't already, you might want to read Jeromy's letter in a different thread.  He gave it to his family so that they could understand what is happening and has thoughtfully posted it so that we can use it it to help us.

TSW
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 12:07:05 am »

Esquare I feel you man...  especially with the moms!  I like the advice given by Ann and the others here.

Goodluck to you !

Thomas

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.