Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:16:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 598
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Texas Repubs Platform About Gays and HIV  (Read 2924 times)

Offline tednlou2

Texas Repubs Platform About Gays and HIV
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:21:26 am »
At first, I was going to put this in the Off Topic Forum until I read the section about gays and HIV/STD's.

Texas Repubs are at it again.  I thought the republicans were going to leave gays alone finally.  Guess not.  They want to make sodomy illegal again and say homosexuals spread diseases like HIV.  Well, gays and straights spread HIV and other STD's.  When the Supreme Court ruled on sodomy laws a couple years ago, wasn't it from a Texas case?  I don't even understand the part about gay marriage.  It is not legal in Texas, so I don't understand creating a new law to ban gay marriages??? 

I'm offended they would use HIV and other STD's as a reason why "the gay lifestyle" needs to be squashed.  Below is the story and you can click on the link at the end of the story to see their full platform--if you can stomach it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/22/texas-gop-platform-advoca_n_619601.html

Offline Jeffreyj

Re: Texas Repubs Platform About Gays and HIV
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:40 am »
They are trying to get their clueless base of their party all excited to go and vote.
This has been an old trick they pull out before each election.

May as well get used to it. It's what they do.
Positive since 1985

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:44:45 am »
Ted, this is like so two weeks ago.  ::)

Get with the programme.

MtD

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:10:40 am »
I certainly can appreciate the concern... but even are ass licking media here in Texas has discounted them.  Most of the obscure off the deep end stuff came from the woman who used to run the party and was forced out.  She basically is a modern Nazi and is out of Dallas.  Rick Perry, aka Governor Goodhair is a middle of the road money grubbing corrupt republican who wouldn't dare risk pissing off the constituents.  Bill White, our sanctuary city ex-mayor who railed against indusry while simultaneously deferring maintenance in the city is the demoncratic candidate.  For the record, I think both choices are appalling, but fortunately Kay Bailout Hutchinson did not run.  All of our candidates for office suck!  The only glimmer is that Bill White doesn't think gays are heathens.

Texas ADAP is reasonably well funded and we only wind up with waiting lists towards the end of the year.  Houston, and Harris county have the largest concentration of HIV infections.  Trends suggest that the infected-unkown rate is 1%.  This is the group of people who are poz and don't know it.  They have been testing a program called Universal Opt-Out in which anyone who goes to the emergency room gets teted for HIV unless they explicitly opt-out, which few do.  The pozitivity rate from this program is 1% which is higher than everyone expected.

For those that don't know.... Texas is reasonably well behaved on HIV and AIDS.

Legacy Healthcare, which was formerly Montrose Clinic, was the first place in the nation outside of NYC and SF that you could get an anonymous HIV test.  We have a healthy group of ASOs and you have 3 major ones to choose from that I know of.... our blue book, which is published by the RWPC (Ryan White Planning Council) is an inch thick and is published in Spanish and English. 

So regardless what the Nazis of DallASS want to do..... the rest of the state isn't likely to go along.

Cheers
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:53:18 am »
Yup, This is par for the course for the Tx GOP.  They love to beat their chest and rabble-rouse. Fortunately as Pup states the rest of the state outside of Dallas doesnt march to the same beat.

Btw, they also want to do away with the IRS, Put an oil well in every backyard and do away with strip clubs, and sex shops (we would have to order our dildos from out of state). Oh, and they want a requirement that all Tx citizens have a notation on their DL as to whether they are legal or Illegal citizens.

Remember kiddos, Texas was once a sovereign nation in and of itself, and remnants of this "independant rightousness" is still alive today in some corners of Dallas.

Expect more of the same in the future as we're stuck with an endless supply of idot gubernatorial candidates here in Tx. BTW, Kay Bailey did run but was beat by Perry in the Primaries.

Let me close with a couple quotes from one time Tx Gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman..."How can you look at the Texas legislature and still believe in intelligent design?".

and

"The folks in Mississippi are saying, 'Thank God for Texas.'"

-Will
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 10:57:55 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:51:32 am »
More from Kinky ...

"I support gay marriage. I believe they have a right to be as miserable as the rest of us."

"We've got to clear some of the room out of the prisons so we can put the bad guys in there, like the pedophiles and the politicians."

"I even went so far as to become a Southern Baptist for a while, until I realized that they didn't hold 'em under long enough."

Texas is just plain scary.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:48:18 pm »
Only certain wack job busybodies are scary.

nazi website is : http://www.texaseagle.org/

Here is an article that Austin American Statesman did on the old bag of air that runs it.... complete with a picture:http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2010/mar/20/pat-carlson/texas-eagle-forum-says-texas-schools-dont-have-tea/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:55:58 pm by hotpuppy »
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 04:54:46 pm »
Shit. Zero to Godwin in 4 posts. Nice going Puppy! ;)

Fun extra credit activity: compare the current TX GOP platform with the one from around 1956. It's quite interesting.

MtD

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:01:36 pm »
Yea I accidentally tagged the wrong bag of air the first time...

Here's some more dirt to play in:
http://www.tfn.org/site/DocServer/RR_Report09web.pdf?docID=961

Pay attention to Page 44: Texas Eagle Forum - Income 58,720 in 2007 (last year mentioned)

And just so you don't think we're ALL wack jobs...
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/cathie-adams-ousted-head-texas-gop
- Cathie Adams (head of Texas Eagle Forum) ousted as head of Texas GOP.  
Watch for moderation to ensue...

and some more pictures of the witches that run Texas Eagle Forum and it's den of immorality.
http://www.texaseagle.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64:pat-carlson-bio&catid=23:bios&Itemid=130

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.