Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:30:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 275
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 274
Total: 274

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Affected mom  (Read 14262 times)

Offline revjenn

Affected mom
« on: January 06, 2007, 10:26:26 pm »
Hello. 

I am new to the forum.  I guess I'm just looking for community.  Three years ago my husband and I adopted our daughter through Child Protectie Services.  She was two at the time and was our foster child to start with.  We knew at the time before she came to live with us that she was HIV positive.  At the time we focused on getting her the right doctors, finding out what we needed to know to care for her, and just all the other issues that come with being new parents.  So, we never had that, "O, my God" moment when we "found out;" we just always knew.  So I guess I put off feeling the grief that might coming with knowing that a loved one is HIV positive.  She is doing great, she's never been sick and is growing and doing all the things a 5yr does...I guess recently I've been feeling some saddness that I'd put off feeling. 

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Affected mom
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:42:24 pm »
Hi, revjenn!

This part of the forums is still pretty new, so I am hoping the 'loved ones' segment of the community will bloom further as word gets out.  Meantime, I welcome you here!  Your little girl is so very lucky to have you and your husband.

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 11:02:48 pm »
Hi Jenn, and welcome to AIDSmeds!

I have such a deep admiration for parents who adopt HIV+ children.   She is indeed lucky to have you for a Mom!   Are there any support groups for parents/friends of People living with HIV in your area?

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:55:19 am »
Hulloos! I'm so glad you posted here. Welcome. Please feel free to share stories of your daughter -- the cute, weird, wonderful things that 5-year-olds say and do -- or even a picture if you're comfortable with that. We'd love to hear more about her as well as you and your husband.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 08:36:45 am »
Dear Rev,

Welcome! I'm glad you have found your way to our site.

Have you found there to be any particular difficulties for you to deal with in relation to your daughter's status? And what kind of support have you had for any needs? Is your daughter in school now?

You don't by any means have to limit your comments to only HIV, so just tell us anything you'd like to.

It's wonderful to know you have created such a loving family together.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 06:46:51 pm »
Hey revjenn,

Welcome!  As Alan said you're charting new territory here at AIDSmeds and we (those of us, most infected with HIV, who have been using the site) hope you and many more folks in similar situations make use of this new forum. 

I also applaud you for adopting a child who needs the same love and care uninfected children do.  Special people like you are more rare than we would wish.

I'd like to ask, if you don't mind, if your daughter has blood work done and what her numbers are?  If it's none of my business feel free to say so!

I look forward to hearing more.

Take care,

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:00:35 am »
I think it is great that you adopted a poz child. I agree with Boo in wishing there were more people like you. I think the sadness you may feel is because of the love you have for your daughter considering what she has to live with. I hope I said that right. Any parent would be concerned about their child's health whether it was hiv, cancer, or the common cold. It's called being a good parent.

(who was also adopted at age 12)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline koi1

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:49:19 am »
MY heart just was uplifted with your story. I am so happy that there are people like you willing to take care of children in need, especially those with HIV. You are to be commended. My friend has a child with HIV.
She was born with it. She is 16 and doing great. At first they had told her it was leukemia which is much worse. She takes her meds and leads a normal life.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline revjenn

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:08:04 pm »
Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments.  It really warms my heart to read your words and I also feel a since of relief.  There aren't too many people that I can talk to in my community.  My girl is an amazing person.  I'm the blessed one to have her in my life.  She's very healthy and she has a joy for life that constantly inspires me.  Everyone that knows her--kids her age, our friends, her teachers--they all are drawn to her because she is so outgoing and finds fun in everything.  She's in pre-k right now and only goes to school three days a week.  I just want for her what any mom would want--her to be happy, for others to treat her with love and respect, and for her to pursue her dreams. 

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:34:34 pm »
Hi Jenn

A very warm welcome to you and your family, I can't really add anymore to what the guys have said, I think that little girl was truely blessed the day you and your husband came into her life.

As Andy said if there is anything in particular you are having problems with please don't hesitate in letting us know, we may not always have the answers for you, but one thing you can be sure of is you will never be without the support of forum.

Hope to hear more from you, and let us know how the wee one gets on.

Hugs to you all
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline DanKenny

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 08:39:37 pm »
Hi Revjenn,

Welcome to the community.  You are in the right place for support, care and education.

I know how you feel because my son is also HIV+.  He was diagnosed when he was 2yrs, and now he is 8. He is thriving very well, healthy, undectectable for the past 6yrs, and intelligent. It saddens me sometimes to see him go through this, but i know he will pull through it. There are many other kids like yours who have reached adolescence with this condition. So, take courage, your daughter will do well.

I admire your strength.  You are doing a very heroic job.  Just the other day, a children's services social worker and I were discussing foster care and protection needs of positive kids, and realized a lot of unmet needs. Thanks for your support and care. We need more people like you. 

May the good Lord bless you all.

Regards, DannyK
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:42:21 pm by DanKenny »
My Progress:

09/07:   771   ~    <50     ~   29%
03/07:   493   ~    227      ~   22%
02/07:   Began Meds ~~ ATRIPLA
01/07:   315   ~   45, 000  ~   18%
10/06:   350   ~   32, 430  ~   22%
04/06:   440   ~   23, 997  ~   24%
07/05:   621   ~   36,000   ~   24%
01/05:   842   ~   2306      ~   28%
07/04:   615   ~   3370      ~   27%
04/04:   674   ~   739        ~   26%
11/03:   439   ~   2800      ~   22%
Infected probably around 1997 / Diagnosed 2002

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 04:11:04 pm »
Hello Revjenn,

Being adopted myself at the age of five, I remember the fears that maybe my new parents would abandon me just like my birth parents (who had been both killed in an auto accident) but that never came to pass.  They worked hard to nurture a sense of family and like them you are both to be thanked for opening your hearts, especially to a child with special needs.  I am also a parent and just went through a cancer scare with my only daughter, so I understand the trepidation you feel about her health.

If I can offer any advice it is to help your daughter incorporate her HIV as part of her reality and to help guide her when she needs some support.  I suspect you know most of this and while it is natural to worry as a parent, I would hope you would suppress that and just let her grow.

As an adopted child I cannot even begin to tell you the love and gratitude that will bond your family and how she will feel when she discovers she is adopted.  As I look back now, I was very lucky that two sets of parents opened their hearts to me and your daughter will feel just the same.  It is a very comforting thought that has helped to anchor me all these years and you just must believe that she will continue to grow and prosper.

As long as she has you both by her side, she can reach for the stars.  HIV will never define her, but it does dictate some of her reality.  For now, just enjoy and one last thought, when she is old enough, please answer her questions honestly, even if is uncomfortable for you, because she needs your honesty.  You are headed in the right direction and while we cannot tell you what the future will hold, we can always walk with you on your journey.

This forum is a very powerful place and when you need something, all you need do is ask.  Welcome to the forums.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 01:39:10 pm »
People like you give me hope.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 10:42:48 am »
You are truely an angel...
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.